Author Topic: wife has fear of death if I continue to ride, What to do?  (Read 8269 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: wife has fear of death if I continue to ride, What to do?
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »
Women, especially mothers, are by nature security oriented. Her fears are real and justified. What we do is an added risk to that security. Have you sat down with your wife and gone over what would be necessary if you were incapacitated or dead? Life insurance, will, living will, medical power of attorney. Have you got a plan for kids education and debt payment to leave your family secure. As mentioned all this is necessary whether you ride or not. An honest and realistic assessment of these concerns with your wife may alieviate some of her anxiety. On the same subject what would your needs be if your wife was gone? Would you still ride knowing your children would be left alone if something happened to you? We live and die by our choices. Choose wisely grasshopper.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »
Thanks guys the input is appreciated,
She seems to get it that I could die taking a walk to the store or driving a car or thousands of other things. She feels that the motorcycle is an unnecessary risk that I take and she considers it selfish that I do it without consideration for the family. But motorcycles is the only thing I do outside of the family.
Hopefully I can convince her that if I take some advanced riding course or something that will her easy her fears. Just need to find a way to lower her anxiety level a bit when I ride.

I friggin hate when a woman says something like that......my wife has done it "once" and only once. ;)  You have every right to ride, and her making you feel bad about it is just plain wrong and selfish.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 04:06:07 PM »
No chance she will start riding just not her thing. Life insurance is up to date and would cover everything so no worries there. Wife lost her dad when she was nine and I think that is having an impact on her. Our kids are 10, 8, and 6. Lots to consider never felt that my riding would get me here.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »
I was taken out by a truck in 2005... crossed in front of me, almost missed him too ::)  I ended up with a herniated disc and $2500 damage to my then two week old ST1300.  Not a word out of my wife's mouth about not riding.

I was rear ended 2 years ago on my C14, $2000 damage to it... I was able to ride away without injury.  Not a word again about not riding.

My daughter hurt her ankle when she slipped dismounting the Wing in 2008... never heard the end of it.  LOL!!!

Consider it her way of showing how much she cares for you.   :)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »
  :chugbeer: Congrats....I've been married for so long that I dont even look both ways when I cross the street

:rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 08:27:42 PM »
Show her the statistics for automobile injuries/deaths in a year. Then tell her you want to buy a sports-car.
Either that or get a million dollar life ins policy; my wife would carry me out to my bike grinning all the way. :-\
Co-worker's wife made him do just that to ride.  A year or so later she was a millionaire.   :(

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
Well, you could start talking about getting an airplane.

Offline yoman

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 09:31:46 PM »
Well, you could start talking about getting an airplane.

Or getting out of one.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 08:07:00 AM »
You aren't going to convince her, you aren't going to change her, give her more credit than that, bribing never works, plus, shes not sick, shes not broke. All you can do is help her live more comfortably with her fears, which will always be there. From you posts you understand the basis of her fears, its a rational fear. Its also evident you have sat down with her and talked about this, another good sign. A hard choice you need to make. Ride for you, not ride for her. Don't stop talking. Has she ever looked at the forum here? Would she want to chat here? Maybe a wive's forum? Just throwing this out, I don't know if this has ever been talked about. Maybe a different perspective will help her confront what she fears.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »
You aren't going to convince her, you aren't going to change her, give her more credit than that, bribing never works, plus, shes not sick, shes not broke. All you can do is help her live more comfortably with her fears, which will always be there. From you posts you understand the basis of her fears, its a rational fear. Its also evident you have sat down with her and talked about this, another good sign. A hard choice you need to make. Ride for you, not ride for her. Don't stop talking. Has she ever looked at the forum here? Would she want to chat here? Maybe a wive's forum? Just throwing this out, I don't know if this has ever been talked about. Maybe a different perspective will help her confront what she fears.
I think a wife/SO forum would be a great idea.  But they CANNOT have open access to all the areas.  THAT would not be good 8)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 08:51:19 AM »
I want to say that motorcycle or no motorcycle, it's wise of her to plan how to handle life if you die.  As it's wise of you do do the same if she dies.  You have kids to take care of.  The fear part is another issue.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »
Yes, necron, I agree, I was going to say that too. I work with a lot of guys that simply have no plan whatsoever, retirement, sudden death, funeral, sickness, short or prolonged, savings, mortgage, car payment, nothing. When I turned 40 and had maybe 10 years to go before I retired, I wanted to make sure my wife did not have to work to survive or live in our house, so I took out a life insurance policy for 20 years. Our plan to life started the day we married and secondly the day I was hired. Getting back to what necron said, to not do that, have a plan, would be irresponsible in my opinion, children or no children.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline booger

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »
Shucks skeet, I am like your wife.  I just got back from visiting a friend of mine that sustained a brain injury in a bike crash and am wondering what the hell I am doing riding a motorcycle.    But I've been riding for near 50 years and have had these feelings before.  It will pass in a couple of weeks.

By the way, my wife made me double my life insurance when I started riding after a long hiatus.  It satisfied her concerns.

Offline skeet

• 2009 Concours 14
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »

Thanks for that, I don't want her to change. I want to help her get a better perspective of the risk. Because now the two of us are at totally different ends of the spectrum. I am not sure that is possible but if I want to keep riding and stay married something has to give and it has to be agreeable to both of us or there is the possibility of problems down the road.

Offline xjs36uk

• Boss of Worlds End Music and THE Festival
    • THE Festival
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Just to add my two pennies worth, I've been riding since I was 14 years old, now 43, and spent 20 years as a long distance despatch rider, in that time I was 'knocked off' some 27 times, hospitalised 3 times and died once.

I still ride and my wife loves my bikes almost as much as me, I rarely get the chance to ride alone, but she has no interest or desire to learn to ride herself.
I am a stepfather of 3 grandfather of four and great grandfather of 1  (you try telling me how that feels at 43!!!).

So with over 2 million miles under my belt you'd think the odds on 'not making it' are pretty high, I'm still here alive and kicking.

And all those years that my mother told me that bikes would be the death of me?  Nope looks like it'll be the emphacaemia, hypotension, non-fuctioning heart valve or the Tumour on my lung that'll get me. To be honest a quick exit on a bike against a slow painful exit seems more appealing.

View it how you will, when your time is up, it's up. Risk or no risk.
Mark, One half of the "Formation Crashing Greaves Brothers".    1986 GTR1000 A1, 1988 GTR1000 A2, 1989 GPZ900R A3, 1986 GPZ1000RX A1, 1983 GT750 P3, 2000 ZX12R-A1, 1990 ZZR1100 C1, 1986 CBR500, 1985 XT500, 1987 XJS 3.6, 1995 XJ6 3.2 Sport, 1992 XJ40 4.0S, 1987 Capri 3.0S,1993 Xantia 1.9TD, 1993 W124 250D, 1999 S210 E280 4-Matic, 1996 LDV400, 1999 P38 2.5 DSE. I think I have a problem......

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 09:10:18 AM »
Hopefully I can convince her that if I take some advanced riding course or something that will her easy her fears. Just need to find a way to lower her anxiety level a bit when I ride.

Skeet I could have taken a BILLION courses but not one single one of them could have prepared me for a deer crossing my path. It's just life.
I do however see her point about motorcycling being an unnecessary risk. But the problem is it's what you love to do. Myself I still ride a "quick" pace, I'm aware of the risks involved and I try to remember how much I'd miss my lovely wife and kids if "I" screw up. I can't however plan what "others or forces" want to do to me.....

I hope you can come to an understanding with your wife about how motorcycling is part of you. ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 05:39:38 AM »
Just to add my two pennies worth, I've been riding since I was 14 years old, now 43, and spent 20 years as a long distance despatch rider, in that time I was 'knocked off' some 27 times, hospitalised 3 times and died once.

I still ride and my wife loves my bikes almost as much as me, I rarely get the chance to ride alone, but she has no interest or desire to learn to ride herself.
I am a stepfather of 3 grandfather of four and great grandfather of 1  (you try telling me how that feels at 43!!!).

So with over 2 million miles under my belt you'd think the odds on 'not making it' are pretty high, I'm still here alive and kicking.

And all those years that my mother told me that bikes would be the death of me?  Nope looks like it'll be the emphacaemia, hypotension, non-fuctioning heart valve or the Tumour on my lung that'll get me. To be honest a quick exit on a bike against a slow painful exit seems more appealing.

View it how you will, when your time is up, it's up. Risk or no risk.

:offtopic:

You're a great grandfather at 43?    :o

Did you father your first child when you were 7 or what?  :P
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 06:29:54 AM »
I didn't read through all the posts to sorry if this has already been said.

Get a million dollar life insurance policy.  Now she is financially secure if you die.
Take some motorcycle training courses.  Now your skills are improved which will reduce your risk of a crash.
Assess your risk associated with riding on certain roads and time of day and mitigate your risk.  ( I changed my work schedule so I go in at 0600 which reduces the number of vehicles on the road)
I took a break when the boys were young because my attention was focused on them and spending time with them, but now I am making up for lost time.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline xjs36uk

• Boss of Worlds End Music and THE Festival
    • THE Festival
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2012, 07:49:43 AM »
:offtopic:

You're a great grandfather at 43?    :o

Did you father your first child when you were 7 or what?  :P

It's complicated, but basically, inherited family that I love as my own.
Mark, One half of the "Formation Crashing Greaves Brothers".    1986 GTR1000 A1, 1988 GTR1000 A2, 1989 GPZ900R A3, 1986 GPZ1000RX A1, 1983 GT750 P3, 2000 ZX12R-A1, 1990 ZZR1100 C1, 1986 CBR500, 1985 XT500, 1987 XJS 3.6, 1995 XJ6 3.2 Sport, 1992 XJ40 4.0S, 1987 Capri 3.0S,1993 Xantia 1.9TD, 1993 W124 250D, 1999 S210 E280 4-Matic, 1996 LDV400, 1999 P38 2.5 DSE. I think I have a problem......

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 07:56:53 AM »
It's complicated, but basically, inherited family that I love as my own.

:thumbs:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn