Author Topic: spark plug destroyed  (Read 6850 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: spark plug destroyed
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »
I had a 2002 Kia Spectra that I bought new.  Originally, I was told it was a non-interference motor.  I found out last spring that it was not when the timing belt broke.  It had 189k miles on it already and ran like a champ (good car in the snow too).  It had been almost a maintenance-free car.  I pulled the head to look at the valves.  Luckily none broke, but all of the exhaust valves were bent pretty badly.  Only one intake valve was bent also.  I didn't like the idea of getting a used "guaranteed" head shipped for fear of the shipper bending a valve.  I orderd the complete top-end gasket set to include new valve stem seals.  I also ordered a set of exhaust valves and the one intake.  Used a little lapping compound on the new valves by hand (no drill) and installed them (I'm experienced and have done this before).  Flipped the head upside-down to check for air bubbles with brakeclean and an air hose blown thru the ports.  I had to lap two just a little more until just a super fine mist passed at about 80 lbs of pressure.  It took probably two different saturdays to do this.  I sold the car about 2 months ago with 202k for $3,000 (the Northern VA car market is hot) on it still running great.

My point, yours is low mileage and is probably worth fixing to use or sell if you have the time.  A used motor would be easier if the price is right, but all I could find locally were $1,200 motors at the time.  I think I spent $250 on all the parts including hoses and belts.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline kreaky

• '98 Connie; '92 750 Nighthawk; '85 VF500F; '96 XR4
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
I would speculate that the timing belt broke, piston hit valves, a valve head broke off and was hammered between the piston and the head.
"Once you go over the hill, you pick up speed."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 10:55:47 AM »
Yep, no worries.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.