Author Topic: coolant header tank move.  (Read 927 times)

Offline jacksdad

coolant header tank move.
« on: August 11, 2021, 10:28:57 AM »
As I'm not refitting the fairing lowers, I need to sort out the coolant header/expansion tank.
Can I just use an off the shelf catch tank, and run the hose from the filler cap overflow straight into it? I've looked at a polished alloy tank with a hose connector in the bottom, and the 2 more on the side, near the top, one just slightly lower than the other: I assume I'd need to blank off one, but 1/ would it even work and 2/ which outlets would I use?
Is the standard tank pressurised? its a bit odd as the outlet is much lower than the overflow from the rad, why doesn't the coolant just pour out?  :banghead:

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
Re: coolant header tank move.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »
both of mine have an over flow tank on the RH frame rail behind the side-cover. feed in from the bottom, vent out the top with a line. not pressurized.

it wont leak out because the radiator cap is a relief valve.. and the highest point in the system. 

heres the tank on the 99. its actually a clippard accumulator tank, but i had it laying around.

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 01:13:49 PM »
Thats great news, thanks: I really don't want to keep the stupid plastic tank underneath the exhaust headers, even if I replae the fairing lowers. When I bought the bike the tank had been melted right through by a badly fitted exhaust, so had no coolant in it!

Offline Stasch

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 03:49:13 PM »
Another option that's been used on C10's is an overflow tank from a Kawasaki EX250 attached on the right side of the battery box under the ride side cover.

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/remote-coolant-tank-solution-for-half-naked-mod-done-cheap-and-easy.52887/post-634499

Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline cra-z1000

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 12:22:09 PM »
I believe I've seen someone mount the stock tank behind the battery under the seat ?

Offline jacksdad

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 08:42:44 AM »
I'm now back to the standard set up!
Doesn't look toooo bad....would look a damn sight better if the tank was hidden away though  :finger_fing11: