Author Topic: PR II Tire Wear Question **Picture**  (Read 6018 times)

Offline xsv

PR II Tire Wear Question **Picture**
« on: April 21, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
I recently punctured my rear tire and have taken it off for replacement.  I thought that there was a lot of tread left, but in looking more closely at it, I wonder.  Specifically, I am looking at the tire wear on the sides.  In the picture if you look at the wear bar to the center right you can see significantly more tire wear to the outside of the bar vs the other side.

I am guessing that since the outside is softer it is wearing faster??  Clue me in! :)

2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline xsv

Re: PR II Tire Wear Question **Picture**
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »
Dropped tire at cycle gear- they say cupping in part from heavy bike
  Tire has been 40-42 psi  for its lifetime
 Hmmm

2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 12:49:30 PM »
I've had similar wear with my PR2 but in extreme. From no wear bars to no tread in one tankful to steel showing in 120 miles!

1995 c10(gone), 2001 c10(passed on to son),
2010 c14(current mistress)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:12:20 PM »
Do you ride allot on the right crown of the road?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline xsv

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
Do you ride allot on the right crown of the road?

I live in snow country.  I ride where there are no potholes!  I tend to use the entire lane.  This tire has no long freeway miles on it either.  Mostly back highway roads in NE Washington State.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 03:26:46 PM »
I think all tires wear more on the left due to the natural crown of the road. Also the last 600 miles were fully loaded and two up which accelarated  the wear even at 42 lbs.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
I've had similar wear with my PR2 but in extreme. From no wear bars to no tread in one tankful to steel showing in 120 miles!

care to humor us with exactly how many miles was on that tire?

that is just a bit over the top on "safe".....
 ::)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 04:03:48 PM »
Dropped tire at cycle gear- they say cupping in part from heavy bike
  Tire has been 40-42 psi  for its lifetime
 Hmmm

and by their explanation the center of the tread should have been gone....just saying.
yes, the left side wears excessivly on the PR2's, they have revamped this issue in the PR3, by adding small extra slits/sipes, that break up the blocks better, and keep the rubber from smearing/stretching/wearing as odly.
here are shots of 3 different sets of PR2's I ran.

right side has no wear, left side shot.

fronts do not do this...as badly....

notice the re-designed tread slits / siping on the PR3's:

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »

No wear bars at 6200 miles.

I think this will be seen as typical wear with these mixed compound tires and heavy bikes because the compression of the wieght spreads the contact patch onto the softer sides even while cruising down the slab.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
No wear bars at 6200 miles.

I think this will be seen as typical wear with these mixed compound tires and heavy bikes because the compression of the wieght spreads the contact patch onto the softer sides even while cruising down the slab.

6200 miles is about the norm on this tire.
I have owned the C14 from 7/2007, and have found that to be the norm, and even tho some folks have seen 8k on a set of tires, I think I'm spot on for the norm. I will say that the huge tire this bike sports, when inflated to the 42 psi range, should never see the single side wear it does, but I do believe the crown of the rural Va. roads played a big part in this, and I have read all the "crown don't mean $#!+ reports" out there.
I have compiled charts and dimensions for all of the various scenarios on road lane radii, and the differences in distance travelled vs, tire wear do not jibe, so I still believe road crown combined with paving materials, makes a huge difference.
This bike isn't that heavy to transfer the contact patch to the sides, and after owning and travelling many thousands of miles on the original Conni, with a narrower tire, and as heavy of a bike, toss that explanation out the window.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »
I'm on my third set of PR2s.  I'm pretty easily getting 8500-9000 miles on them.   Previous tires on my FJR and now my Concours have never made it past 6,000 miles.  The PR2's really could go further, but I hate the way most tires feel when they get around 80% worn.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline xsv

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 09:25:57 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.  My front looks pretty much like the one in your picture.  (Ordered a new one today).  I think I saw about 5000 miles out of this set of tires.  Maybe after the new set of PR II's go I will try the III's.

Thanks again.

and by their explanation the center of the tread should have been gone....just saying.
yes, the left side wears excessivly on the PR2's, they have revamped this issue in the PR3, by adding small extra slits/sipes, that break up the blocks better, and keep the rubber from smearing/stretching/wearing as odly.
here are shots of 3 different sets of PR2's I ran.

right side has no wear, left side shot.

fronts do not do this...as badly....

notice the re-designed tread slits / siping on the PR3's:

2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
6200 miles is about the norm on this tire.
I have owned the C14 from 7/2007, and have found that to be the norm, and even tho some folks have seen 8k on a set of tires, I think I'm spot on for the norm. I will say that the huge tire this bike sports, when inflated to the 42 psi range, should never see the single side wear it does, but I do believe the crown of the rural Va. roads played a big part in this, and I have read all the "crown don't mean $#!+ reports" out there.
I have compiled charts and dimensions for all of the various scenarios on road lane radii, and the differences in distance travelled vs, tire wear do not jibe, so I still believe road crown combined with paving materials, makes a huge difference.
This bike isn't that heavy to transfer the contact patch to the sides, and after owning and travelling many thousands of miles on the original Conni, with a narrower tire, and as heavy of a bike, toss that explanation out the window.

I'm right at 7k on the 2's and you could have taken the pics of mine instead of yours.  Quite happy overall though.  Getting reshod with the 3's this Friday.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »
I'm right at 7k on the 2's and you could have taken the pics of mine instead of yours.  Quite happy overall though.  Getting reshod with the 3's this Friday.

Are the PR3's going to replace the PR2's?  Or will both continue to be offered?  Just curious... I have a looooong way to go on my OEM brickstones, still.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 01:34:30 PM »
Not sure if it fits into this conversation (and I do not have pictures yet), but my front tire (OEM) had a really odd wear pattern. The tire seemed like three adjacent sides of a hexagon - it was not rounded anymore. The middle of the tire had treads left, but either side wore thin. The rear tire is also wearing the same way. Instead of being rounded, it is taking the shape of three sides of hexagon - not as prominent though. For now I replaced the front with a Shinko Raven, and the bike takes a lot less input to turn or flick.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 08:10:52 AM »
I had excessive left side wear a couple years ago and decided to investigate further. I ran across this article and have accepted the explanation more than the road crown effect. Give it a read and draw your own conclusions from it.

John

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline DGOLD

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:27 AM »
Good article! I've gotta believe thatbthe truth is a combination of factors. I'd like to find a tire with nothing but highway miles to compare but all my friends seek the twisties.