Author Topic: Brake Recall DIY Options  (Read 8922 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Brake Recall DIY Options
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
Got mine back today. Looks good. No idea how long since I had them do valve lash as well. There was no mention about the fact that I trimmed my rod end.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
I am not surprised they did not mention that your rod end had been trimmed- it isn't something that would be brought up in public normally.

Brian

Got mine back today. Looks good. No idea how long since I had them do valve lash as well. There was no mention about the fact that I trimmed my rod end.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 03:21:48 PM »
I am not surprised they did not mention that your rod end had been trimmed- it isn't something that would be brought up in public normally.

Brian

What can I say? It was too long.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »
I had mine done yesterday.  They had the part in stock and did it while I waited. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline booger

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
Why would you want to do it yourself?

I want the service ticket from the dealer showing the safety recall has been satisified.  So when I go to sell the bike someday, the purchaser has no doubts..

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »
I did my own first rear brake recall myself because my dealer's service manager is a $hithead. I ordered the shield from Ron Ayers. I might check and see if the $hithead has been replaced yet.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline JamminJere

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »
Since it is a recall... why would the OP have to pay for it? Just let the dealer do it. They get paid from Kaw for completing it.

Filling in the old clevis with JB weld isn't the answer... its not the hole in the back of the clevis that holds the stones.. its the width of the old clevis and the clearance on both sides

The new clevis is of a different type and is much smaller in width, They remove the original bandaid plate recall at the same time.

JJ
There really isn't much different between the masses... and them asses..

Offline xKLR

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2012, 08:32:15 PM »
Since it is a recall... why would the OP have to pay for it? Just let the dealer do it.

There isn't a dealer near where I live. I don't have to pay for it, if I'm willing to spend the time to ride out of town to have a complete stranger work on my bike. Some mechanics are good, some aren't. I'd rather save a lot of time, do it myself, and know it's done right. (Or in some cases knowing I've done it wrong. :-) )

I did call Kawasaki Customer Support and got the standard run around.

I'm currently waiting to hear back from a dealer to see if they can ship me the parts.

-RC

Offline Cheesecake

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 10:23:53 PM »
I did my own first rear brake recall myself because my dealer's service manager is a $hithead. I ordered the shield from Ron Ayers. I might check and see if the $hithead has been replaced yet.
Isn't that a prerequisite to being the SM? Are any of them smart enough to use a computer, I don't see any claiming to be one on this forum or any other.  This is nothing new, what was the name of the mechanic on Andy Griffith?
2008 C-14

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
Isn't that a prerequisite to being the SM? Are any of them smart enough to use a computer, I don't see any claiming to be one on this forum or any other.  This is nothing new, what was the name of the mechanic on Andy Griffith?

Goober, Gomer's brother or cousin or both.