Author Topic: brrrrrrrr  (Read 57783 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: brrrrrrrr
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2015, 08:08:03 AM »
It was -17F air temp. Thursday night officially at Cleveland Hopkins airport which is about 10 miles SW of the city of Cleveland but the officially recognized temp for the city of Cleveland. That makes it the coldest temp in Cleveland in the month of February since records have been kept, outlying areas, where residual heat from the concrete of the city keeps the temps warmer, were much colder, about 80 miles east of Cleveland in Rome Ohio, an unofficial temp of -39 air temp was recorded. That was the coldest night since 1994 when the official lowest temp ever recorded in Cleveland was -20F. Not a big deal for folks farther north, but average temps for this time of the year here is the upper 30'sF.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2015, 08:17:45 AM »
Yeah, it gets brutally cold in the center / north of the US, starting in the east under the Lakes, and moving all the way through Idaho. Minnesnota and Wisconsin are famous for not only their brutally cold winters but their hot summers- some of the widest temperature swings in the US.

I am on the northeast US but just below the snowbelt and this year, just below the surprise belt, which is mostly in Massachusetts. Dem dare guize is gettin' pummeled! We have had unusually cold and high snowfall too but not the same as MA regarding snowfall. It was an honest -12.2F here (actual, not w/ windchill) this am, which is very cold for this area. It is up in the 20's F now, and later we have some snow coming to take out minds off the cold though.

Brian

Are these temps with wind chill, or without? I didn't think it got that cold over there under the lakes.

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
And, all of the Great Lakes currently have more ice on them than ever in recorded history. A freighter got stuck in 10 foot thick ice on Lake Erie and the U.S. Coast Guard could NOT get to them, they had to retreat and ask for help from the Canadians who will try again in the next few days. True, the ship the U.S. was using is smaller than the Canadian one that will be used but, I have never ever remembered a ship getting stuck in the ice on Lake Erie and the Coast Guard being unable to free it.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2015, 09:09:27 AM »
My father-in-law used to tell me that at one time it was so cold in VA (early 1900s to 1940's) that you could drive vehicles across the Roanoke river from VA into NC.  I think what we're seeing, and has been predicted as part of 'global warming' is that the weather is becoming more severe in nature...hotter summers, colder winters, and storms more severe...except for hurricanes which seems that they aren't as numerous here lately.  It doesn't take much of a change in the tilt of the Earth to cause climates to change either.

You can stick your heads in the sand about climate change but the oceans are rising and the poles (not talking about Poland) are melting.  Something is going on and it's either a natural series of events or man made assisted.  Doesn't really make any difference as nothing we do can stop it.  It's our kids and theirs that will have to worry about it in the future. 

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2015, 09:26:14 AM »
The climate has been changing since God was a sparkle in his Mama's eye. To think that humans can change the global climate with anything short of global thermonuclear war is the height of arrogance.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2015, 09:36:10 AM »
Perhaps but I think you greatly underestimate just how successful we (humans) have been at altering the natural order of things on this planet. It is almost beyond all imagination the sheer amount of fossil fuel we are, and have, digging up and burning. This would never have been part of this planet's normal course.

That said, certainly climate change is and has been going on forever without any human intervention. And just as certainly, it would still be happening had humans not gotten so good (or is that so bad?) at reaching out and changing things to better suit us. I do not believe anyone can truly separate what is human caused and what would have happened had we not intervened.

But there is more than sufficient evidence that we are in fact driving the temperature of the planet up. Whether that is a bad thing, and how bad, remains to be seen.

Unfortunately the whole issue has turned into a political stance, which is really too bad because it is a social and scientific issue, not political. And our social systems of dealing with social issues by using politics is really working quite poorly in this situation (it often does but this issue is being dealt with particularly badly IMO).

I am sure there will be positive facets to the coming changes though- the new beaches in Arizona will be prettier and cleaner than the ones in California IMO. :-)

Brian

The climate has been changing since God was a sparkle in his Mama's eye. To think that humans can change the global climate with anything short of global thermonuclear war is the height of arrogance.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2015, 09:55:08 AM »
And, all of the Great Lakes currently have more ice on them than ever in recorded history.

Yes, we've had a couple ships and ferries stuck in the ice out here lately as well. All of this record ice, frigid cold temps, and relentless snowstorms are part of global warming I am repeatedly told...lol. Whether any of it is true or not is not my point. My point is how funny it sounds to my ears..."The record ice thickness, and frigid winters are due to global warming". I personally have a hard time reconciling the two..."record ice" and "warming".

Ya know, that's a good point. Icebergs have been braking off up north and floating down south here and melting for a long long time...since before we had dirty smokestacks even. The difference now is, with all our modern technology (media), people are now aware of it.
But don't worry Mr. Pink, we're all on the way to being saved by fields of windmills...haven't you been watching the news??...LOL.

Rem

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »
 :)

You must get your Political Correct Doublespeak right....when it's hot it's 'Global Warming'...when it's cold it's...'Climate Change'. We don't want to confuse the great unwashed masses.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2015, 10:09:02 AM »
:)

You must get your Political Correct Doublespeak right....when it's hot it's 'Global Warming'...when it's cold it's...'Climate Change'. We don't want to confuse the great unwashed masses.

Haha...now there's a bumper sticker waiting to be made...LOL.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2015, 10:41:19 AM »
There have been vast amounts of climate swings in the past affecting life on earth. Consider that less than 1% of life forms are still aound since the first life form began- the rest of all species have become extinct. We should be glad that we live in a relatively benign climate era that greatly supports homo sapiens.. witnessed by the explosive growth to over 6 billion in the last couple of hundred years. 

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:30 AM »
I really feel bad that there is no longer a woolly mammoth around for me to hunt to extinction.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2015, 10:55:04 AM »
Brontosaurus burgers?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2015, 10:56:38 AM »
I really feel bad that there is no longer a woolly mammoth around for me to hunt to extinction.

With your high capacity assault rifle?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »

Brontosaurus burgers?

Now you're back in a global warming cycle. The mammoth was in a global cooling cycle.  :yikes: That must be 'climate change'.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2015, 11:00:32 AM »
With your high capacity assault rifle spear?
fify

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2015, 12:27:46 PM »
I think we already took that frustration out on the American Bison.

:-)

Brian

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2015, 01:22:58 PM »
And, all of the Great Lakes currently have more ice on them than ever in recorded history. A freighter got stuck in 10 foot thick ice on Lake Erie and the U.S. Coast Guard could NOT get to them, they had to retreat and ask for help from the Canadians who will try again in the next few days. True, the ship the U.S. was using is smaller than the Canadian one that will be used but, I have never ever remembered a ship getting stuck in the ice on Lake Erie and the Coast Guard being unable to free it.

Yep, no lie.
The Anderson is sitting about a mile offshore in Conneaut, in 6-10 feet thick pack ice, the Neah Bay is the largest breaker in the area, and can't come close to breaking thru... these aren't small bouats either..... they are huge.....
The last time I recall a full sized ore boat, full self unloader, ever getting wedged in was 76/77 coming in from Mackinah, it was the Irving S. Olds, it was being followed 3 miles back by the US Republic Steel, and when the Olds wedged, the Republic could not slow down to a stop before slamming into the stern of the Olds.... a pal was onboard the Olds for the last winter run, iirc it was in January, he ship to shore called me to come pick him up in Lorain after the cut the 2 boats apart, it took 2 Canadian cutters and the Neah Bay to cut thru to get them into port that time. Don't recall any stuck ore boats since that year...

Oh, and those temps as you say, were actual air temps, thank god there was no wind......
Heatwave right now its 23* and snowing again...... back out to the snowblower I go..... this is getting to suck badly, below zero temps forcast for tomorrow again.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2015, 01:34:49 PM »

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2015, 01:37:52 PM »
Interesting note, the Anderson was the last boat in contact with the infamous Edmund Fitzgerald before it went down in 1975...

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/local/ashtabula-county/2015/02/20/arthur-m-anderson-stuck/23761499/

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2015, 01:44:24 PM »
Jim beat me to the punch on that one.... good job

Anybody hear from Tony? Tecro?

I assume he's off the lake, and stoking the fire nice and warm down south now.....