Author Topic: Does anyone have experience with Linkedin ?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
Does anyone have experience with Linkedin ?
« on: December 19, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their advice on the web browser choice (that was another thread).  I decided to go with Internet Explorer 9 and I am using my computer for job searches.

Now I need to start using Linkedin to aid my job search.  I've read some web articles about it and I grasp the general concept and usage.  My plan is to use just the free account for now.  Does anyone have any helpful hints or some "DO's" and "DON'T's".  I don't use any other type of social networking (other than these forums), so this is new to me.  Thanks in advance.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Does anyone have experience with Linkedin ?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:54:11 PM »
I use it... have for several years... freebie.  Join Groups that are in your field/the field of your interest.  There are always Head Hunters in them looking for heads, and posting positions.  Checkout www.indeed.com for a great job resource.

I didn't post my resume word for word on it... made it more informal.  It seems people scan for keyword hits, so make sure and use them in your Skills Section(?).
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
Re: Does anyone have experience with Linkedin ?
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 05:06:08 PM »
I use the freebie version. It's like Professional Facebook. To be most effective, build your network over time and link to people at or above your "level" in your circles. Get active on the Q&A part and answer questions to become known as an "expert." You can also use it to search for particular positions in other companies and find out who has that job. This is good if you are trying to get beyond the "gatekeeper" who answers the phone or an email/po box response point for a listed opening. Once you have someone's name you can then contact them through LinkedIn and become something more than an anonymous job ad respondent. You're a person. Good luck.
Ron

Oh, remember that when you post updates on LinkedIn or Facebook everyone you're linked to gets the update. Be careful with what you say.
2014 C-14 Red