Author Topic: I'm on the fence for an accessory block  (Read 9624 times)

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
Re: I'm on the fence for an accessory block
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 06:42:30 AM »
There is also an unused position on the Jbox, position 8 I believe, that is swithched. I used that to trigger my fuse block. A standard female blade type connector works, and I slipped it right through the Jbox connector. It's the only position unused from the factory, so it's easy to locate.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline mlf73

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 07:04:31 AM »
Cool.....  Thanks guys!
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline Tele130

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 07:40:15 AM »
There is also an unused position on the Jbox, position 8 I believe, that is swithched. I used that to trigger my fuse block. A standard female blade type connector works, and I slipped it right through the Jbox connector. It's the only position unused from the factory, so it's easy to locate.

Thanks for the info on that. :thumbs:  What gauge wire would is best sutied for connecting the new fuse block to the "J"-box?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Tele130

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 07:45:23 AM »

Tele130, to your first question .... IMHO the alleged "plug-and-play" aux fuse block solution is only simpler to the extent that the included instructions are thorough, explicit and specific to your machine's wiring.  I've not seen Murph's kit so can't comment about it.  The FuzeBlock brand instructions are good but are not specific to the Connie and require some basic grasp of 12 volt wiring concepts.  The FuzeBlock is simple in that the relay is integrated and the unit gives a choice of switched or un-switched on any circuit without re-wiring.  Some may (rightly) argue that the integrated relay does not lend to easy replacement if it fails.

As in most engineering, the is no absolute one-best-answer ... finding the best compromises for your case is the trick  ;)

Thanks for clearing that up for me. :chugbeer:  Murph now carries the FuzeBlock "FZ1".
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=436

Doug Colton

Offline Tele130

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 07:48:19 AM »

So then?,...........................that would make the entire added fuse block "Switchable" no matter what you had hooked up?

Doug Colton

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
Thanks for the info on that. :thumbs:  What gauge wire would is best suited for connecting the new fuse block to the "J"-box?

You are not connecting the fuse block to the j-box you are connecting the trigger wire for the relay that in turn powers the fuse block; thus you can use fairly small wire in that all it ever does is pull in a tiny coil with that being said 18 gauge would be fine but as for myself I never use nothing smaller than 16 gauge as wire smaller than 16 gauge tends to be physically weak and breaks fairly easy. As to the size of the power wire being run from the battery to supply the power to the fuse panel you need to size it according to how much current it was designed to handle; 30 amp would require a 10 gauge wire.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:24 AM »
So then?,...........................that would make the entire added fuse block "Switchable" no matter what you had hooked up?

Yep, the relay is triggered on and transfers the power to the fuse block and everything hooked to it. Think of the relay as a switch, the main breaker, and the block is the individual breakers. Thankfully I am better at doing it than writing directions!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »

Sorry I've been away, but others have answered as I would have. Yes, the entire fuse block would be switched. The stuff I wanted to keep "hot" was minimal, so I used the accessory wires that Connie already provided. 1 set under the seat, the other behind the left fairing pocket.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190