Author Topic: "black" sludge floating in master Brake cylinder  (Read 11929 times)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: "black" sludge floating in master Brake cylinder
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »
Indeed. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »
Am I imagining things?  It was night when I got home, but I have noticed my pads are down to approx 1.5mm, I hear what sounds almost like a dull hiss when I grab the front brakes, and when I got home, it "appeared" like I had some black "sludge" floating on top of brake fluid in master brake cylinder. Lil lost...I mean, I know my pads need changing and plan to do next week when Connie goes down for mx, but the floaters? The sound?  Is that the sound the pads make when they are about toast?  I thought for sure I'd get more than 15,000 miles out of the shoes, but I guess I use them alot.  Any input...appreciated...thx
Interesting enough I just changed out my clutch fluid master cylinder (brake fluid as well) and it had a 1/8 inch of black sludge settled at the bottom of it! I assumed it was the remnants of a rubber seal of some sort but I never actually found out what it was.

The clutch works and feels fine but there is just a slight trace of the black stuff still in the bottom of the container...even thought I pumped almost half the fluid container through it.  >:(
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
Interesting enough I just changed out my clutch fluid master cylinder (brake fluid as well) and it had a 1/8 inch of black sludge settled at the bottom of it! I assumed it was the remnants of a rubber seal of some sort but I never actually found out what it was.

The clutch works and feels fine but there is just a slight trace of the black stuff still in the bottom of the container...even thought I pumped almost half the fluid container through it.  >:(

Don't panic, don't worry. That crap in the bottom of the clutch reservoir is normal. The next time you drain the reservoir get you a paper towel and wipe that junk out before you refill. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »
Don't panic, don't worry. That crap in the bottom of the clutch reservoir is normal. The next time you drain the reservoir get you a paper towel and wipe that junk out before you refill.
You have any idea what that crap is and how it got there?
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »

Brian (BDF) had a good explanation for that stuff but I don't remember exactly what he said it was. It's from normal wear in the clutch system. I had the same thing in mine but from the sounds of it, not as much as you had. Do you know how long it's been since your clutch was bled, if ever?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 01:33:44 PM »
Probably more info. than you want....

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=4458.msg51395#msg51395

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2011, 01:47:47 PM »
Brian (BDF) had a good explanation for that stuff but I don't remember exactly what he said it was. It's from normal wear in the clutch system. I had the same thing in mine but from the sounds of it, not as much as you had. Do you know how long it's been since your clutch was bled, if ever?
It had been a long while...maybe a year?  :-[ The fluid was getting yellow so I just caved and bought a vacuum pump kit and did all 3 of my bikes brakes.  ;D

Thanks for the link BDF! Sounds like mine was due for a change in under 2 years.