Author Topic: Zurich tire and rim insurance.  (Read 6337 times)

Offline Scaffolder

Zurich tire and rim insurance.
« on: October 14, 2011, 01:50:05 PM »
I'll find out how good their insurance is. I just dropped my 2010 C-14 off with a nail hole in the rear tire. It has about 8,000 miles on a PR3. The tread is just starting to show wear. I was planning on getting 17,000 miles on this set of tires.
They are supposed to replace the tire with the same tire they take off. We'll see how it goes. The insurance costed $320 for 5 years unlimited mileage coverage. No detuctible as long as it still has new warranty on bike. Sounds good.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Zurich tire and rim insurance.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 02:07:44 PM »
Wow, if you're getting 17K from a set of PR3s we having different riding styles.

Plus I change mine at 8-10K not because of lack of tread, but because old hard tires are slicker and I need that fresh new rubber grippy feel when I rail mine.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lolife

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 04:44:45 PM »
It has about 8,000 miles on a PR3. The tread is just starting to show wear. I was planning on getting 17,000 miles on this set of tires.

Plus I change mine at 8-10K not because of lack of tread, but because old hard tires are slicker and I need that fresh new rubber grippy feel when I rail mine.

Seriously dude, how do you get 17,000 miles out of a PR3?  Mine were way past the wear bars by 7,000 miles.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
ive only got 3k on my 11 and the rear tire isnt looking very good .

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 05:38:41 PM »
ive only got 3k on my 11 and the rear tire isnt looking very good .

you riding those OEM tires?  i only got 3,500 outta mine, switched to PR3's and have 8,000 miles on them and they don't even look worn yet.
Will

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »
ot really sure how many miles to expect. I had 16,800 on PR2s that I had on my old 2008 C-14. I know how pricey tires are and try to get the most out of them. But seriously my front tire still looks new.
On my 2008 I hit over 11,000 on the OEMs and on my 2010 I only got 10,500 on the OEMs.
And as far as fresh tires, these PR3s were put on around June 25th 2011. They are still pretty fresh.
Joel from Maine.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:54:49 AM »
I sure could have used some rim insurance three weeks back.  And as tires are lasting longer and longer tire insurance is sounding interesting. Can you get it for shorter terms than 5 years?

Please be sure to post the results of your claim.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »
I suspect that this type of insurance is only available from motorcycles dealers and it applies to dealer installed tires.

I usually get road hazard insurance when I have tires replaced on my car. It saved me a bunch of money after Katrina with all the roofing nails that were on the road. I bought mine from Sears. The only draw back was it is only good at Sears. When I bought it I thought it was a good idea because its easy to find a Sears store and they're usually open on Sunday. One last thing the price was reasonable.

Good luck finding a m/c dealer that sells it.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 09:48:41 AM »
I got the insurance at the time of the sale of my new 2010. The insurance is supposed to cover any tire you have on your bike. As long as there is atleast 3/32nds on it. I got my PR3s from Murphs. That is where I buy all my tires. I will probably hear from the dealer on Monday or Tuesday.
I went to a dealer once for tires and will never again. They are such crooks. It is bad when I can find people on my own that install tires for 1/3rd what dealers charge.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Laserjock

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 10:31:58 PM »
Seriously dude, how do you get 17,000 miles out of a PR3?  Mine were way past the wear bars by 7,000 miles.

By pushing it 10,000 miles...  8)

=Laserjock=

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
Lots of different riding styles, roads and road conditions.  For me, 9k on OEM's, 12K on PR2's, & 8K on PR2's that are showing little wear. 
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »
Just got my C-14 home today. I didn't pay anything for the brand new rear PR3 replacement. Not even mount or balance fees. Of course the front TPS was finally changed out and is doing nothing. Just --- , gotta love it. Atleast it isn't blinking anymore. I'll have to give them a call on Tuesday about it.
I thought this tire insurance might be interesting to anybody in the market for a new bike. I will get this coverage with any new bike I ever buy as long as it stays as is.
On my regular insurance I have full replacement coverage which some might remember I used when I totaled out my 2008. On the old forum under the name srt-challenger. Instead of getting the check the insurance company wanted to give me ($6700) I ended up with $12,300. My bike had 44,000 miles on it at the time of the accident.
Some insurance is worth it sometimes.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 08:05:42 AM »
Just got my C-14 home today. I didn't pay anything for the brand new rear PR3 replacement. Not even mount or balance fees. Of course the front TPS was finally changed out and is doing nothing. Just --- , gotta love it. Atleast it isn't blinking anymore. I'll have to give them a call on Tuesday about it..............

That Zurich insurance is not available from all dealers, otherwise I would have it. They probably didn't register the TPS.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
On my regular insurance I have full replacement coverage which some might remember I used when I totaled out my 2008. On the old forum under the name srt-challenger. Instead of getting the check the insurance company wanted to give me ($6700) I ended up with $12,300. My bike had 44,000 miles on it at the time of the accident.
Some insurance is worth it sometimes.

How long did it take for you to get them to go from $6700 to $12,300?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 08:50:52 AM »
 The nubers changed after the adjuster mentioned I had total loss replacement. He then tried to renig on the coverage. So I used the free lawyers my Union provides and once they knew I had a lawyer they settled. It wasn't all that easy.
That is what made me buy a new bike this time. The coverage is only on "New Bikes" for 2 years of ownership. I had mine 18 months. They said you had to have coverage within 30 days of ownership. I got it at 34 days, but paid for it after 4 days of ownership. It got pretty messy.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »
Here's what my PR3 reads after 7000 miles.  It was brand new at the beginning of my trip, carrying 85lbs of gear.