Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 292936 times)

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #360 on: April 11, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
Yes #11 looks great. In regards to your comment about the tube in the last photo. Could the mounting tab be more of a flat "L" shape? By doing so you could raise that end of the tubing up a little and still be able to remove the battery panel.  Just a thought.  ;D
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #361 on: April 11, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »
 :thumbs: #11 looks great.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #362 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
#11 has 3 mounting points right Ryan?

It looks great to me. I just hope that it fits a '08/'09.

Yes, #11 has three mounting points. The front lower one (the one that's hidden) is in the same place it has always been. That point is just hidden as of right now because we simply bent the bar into place so you guys could see what it would look like. Incorporating that specific mounting point the way we want to takes quite a bit of time so we decided to just skip that part for now so we can get a design chosen first. If this is the design we choose we'll go ahead and get the bar made up completely, weld it into place, then do a bit of drop testing. Then, based on the drop tests, we'll make small changes as we need to then the bar should be ready for the finishers!

As far as fitting an '08/'09, I sure hope it does as well. I have a feeling we're going to run into some issues, though. The bar may fit but I don't think it'll follow the lines of the bike as well as it does on the 2010-2012. As unfortunate as it may be, I think we'll just have to bring an '08/'09 in and fit it up separately although I'm going to have a few people test this bar on an '08/'09 first to be absolutely sure it doesn't fit up.

Come on Ryan, lay it on it's side already bro...

Hahahaha that'll be coming once we get the design chosen and the bar welded up properly! Sorry it's taking a bit longer than expected but we're really trying to do a thorough job on designing the bar. Stay tuned, though!

I concur. If you can proof it on an 08/09 I'm in.

I really hope it fits an '08/'09. I have a few people lined up to test this bar for us though once it's done. If it doesn't end up fitting, we'll have to try to find a local '08/'09 to bring in and fit up an entirely new bar.

Yes #11 looks great. In regards to your comment about the tube in the last photo. Could the mounting tab be more of a flat "L" shape? By doing so you could raise that end of the tubing up a little and still be able to remove the battery panel.  Just a thought.  ;D

Ohhh, that is an interesting idea. I know we wanted to avoid moving that bracket because, as it is, it flows with the lines of the bike right near the bracket and that bar reaaaally needs to be as low as possible around that body line. The farther we move that bar up, the less protection there is for the lower fairing. I'll take a look at this though and see if we could afford to move it up a bit to allow access to the battery panel.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline GordonM

« Reply #363 on: April 11, 2012, 01:20:51 PM »
#11 looks great!

Still interested in functionality and what kind of tip over protection we will get. Things like: Will the mirrors survive a tip over?  Will the short rear bag guards also be needed with new front canyon cage to protect the bags or will the cage product  do the job?

Gordon

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #364 on: April 11, 2012, 01:28:22 PM »
#11 looks great!

Still interested in functionality and what kind of tip over protection we will get. Things like: Will the mirrors survive a tip over?  Will the short rear bag guards also be needed with new front canyon cage to protect the bags or will the cage product  do the job?

Gordon

I think #11 will function great for how the majority of you will use them. It sounds like the majority of you guys are looking for protection for lower speed type tip overs that are typical when doing those "rodeos" and that is precisely what these will do. I believe in a higher speed tip over the mirrors may hit depending on how hard the bike rocks but there are so many variables that can come into play during a crash that it's hard to tell. In a low speed type tip over, I believe these will perform very similar to the Top Blocks where it just comes to rest on that horizontal bar. Also, the rears will definitely be needed to protect the saddle bags. Especially with how close the Canyon Cage is to the fairing of the bike. I don't think there's a set of front guards that exist that also protect the rear of the bike. The Connie is just too long of a bike. With that said, I believe the #11 Canyon Cage working in accordance with a set of small rear sets will offer optimal protection and really protect the bike well.

I'll be sure to get some photos and hopefully some video once we have this bar finalized and do some tilts and tip overs for you guys so you can really see how they'll protect the bike.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #365 on: April 11, 2012, 01:33:03 PM »
Hey Gordon, could ya do a photo shop of #8 and the latest on an '08?  Fer grins and giggles if nothing else.

TIA,

Chet

Offline shokdimn

• Yeah, I'll trailer it!
« Reply #366 on: April 11, 2012, 01:51:18 PM »
I'm late on the thread.  Did a quick search of the thread and couldn't find an answer to what I was wondering about (Hwy pegs).

Are you considering incorporating into your design an easy way of mounting highway pegs?
Thx

I had a set of "bars" on my bike, but removed them primarily for two reasons.  I didn't like the way the bottom of the bar on the RS of the bike was designed.  And, I wasn't able to easily mount a suitable set of hwy pegs on the bars.

BTW, #9 & #11 caught my eye.

From a distance and without warning, relámpago!

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #367 on: April 11, 2012, 02:05:06 PM »
I have to admit that I was losing hope for these based on some of the "intermediate" options, but #11 has brought me back from the brink.

As has been said MANY times by others, I appreciate your willingness to listen to our opinions, concerns and the occasional gripe.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #368 on: April 11, 2012, 02:10:48 PM »
I'm late on the thread.  Did a quick search of the thread and couldn't find an answer to what I was wondering about (Hwy pegs).

Are you considering incorporating into your design an easy way of mounting highway pegs?
Thx

I had a set of "bars" on my bike, but removed them primarily for two reasons.  I didn't like the way the bottom of the bar on the RS of the bike was designed.  And, I wasn't able to easily mount a suitable set of hwy pegs on the bars.

BTW, #9 & #11 caught my eye.

Yea, I think we're going to end up going with #11.

Highway pegs were discussed somewhere but this thread is so damn long now I'm not sure where it was! We're not planning on including highway pegs with this design but this bar is made of 1" material so you could easily clamp a set of pegs on there. In fact, we sell a set of pegs with 1" clamps for ~$40 depending on what style peg you prefer.

I have to admit that I was losing hope for these based on some of the "intermediate" options, but #11 has brought me back from the brink.

As has been said MANY times by others, I appreciate your willingness to listen to our opinions, concerns and the occasional gripe.

No problem at all! I'm more than happy to work with you guys to get a bar designed that you guys truly like and that works well. Also, I'm glad to hear that the new design has reinvigorated your interest in these bars and I hope it does the same to others who are on the fence!

Offline 4cedars

« Reply #369 on: April 11, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »
Weld'em up and move'em out.

Great design Ryan :)

John
IBA# 45862
MTF Tourers Assistant
2012 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL)
2013 Tour of Honor State Sponsor (IL and IN)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #370 on: April 11, 2012, 02:34:16 PM »
Great job and thanks for your enthusiasm of working with a user's group to come up with a pleasing design. I'm SOOOO ready to see them painted black against the black bike, getting that silver and green out of the picture.  Right, ZG? ::)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #371 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
I'm SOOOO ready to see them painted black against the black bike, getting that silver and green out of the picture.  Right, ZG? ::)

:thumbs:

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #372 on: April 11, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »
Weld'em up and move'em out.

Great design Ryan :)

John

Will do! I'm assuming that means you like the newest design (#11) the best? It seems like #11 is going to be the winner...

Great job and thanks for your enthusiasm of working with a user's group to come up with a pleasing design. I'm SOOOO ready to see them painted black against the black bike, getting that silver and green out of the picture.  Right, ZG? ::)

You're welcome, my man! I am ready to see them painted black as well. They're really going to look great and essentially disappear into the fairings once we have them powder coated.

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #373 on: April 11, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »
Am I able to buy the prototype?  Dibs  ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #374 on: April 11, 2012, 03:00:25 PM »
Wow this looks good. I had the MC front bars and still have the small rear bars. I just couldn't get past the look of the front bars. This looks much better. Also looks like it would give me lots of possibilities to mount highway pegs. Only 2 questions, when and how much?

Offline GordonM

« Reply #375 on: April 11, 2012, 03:06:04 PM »
Hey Gordon, could ya do a photo shop of #8 and the latest on an '08?  Fer grins and giggles if nothing else.

The upper fairing on the 2008s are so different and the mounting scheme would have to be modified greatly.  I don't think you would ever get the 2010-2012 cage to work on a 2008. As I recall the MCE crash bars offered for the 2008 are quite different from the 2010 as well.  I think somebody would have to lend MCE a 2008 to work on.

I just did a quick scale job of #11 on this picture and stretched the vertical bar up to the opening in the fairing.  #11 does look better than #8 on the 2008.  But the vertical bar's angle does not look right and you would not want to cut into the fairing to get the three point mounting.

Gordon

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #376 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:55 PM »
Am I able to buy the prototype?  Dibs  ;D

Unfortunately I can't sell you the prototype. We always keep our prototypes with our jigs so we have something to revert to if there's ever an issue. I could sell you a raw, normal-production set and you could pretend it's the original prototype. Lol! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Wow this looks good. I had the MC front bars and still have the small rear bars. I just couldn't get past the look of the front bars. This looks much better. Also looks like it would give me lots of possibilities to mount highway pegs. Only 2 questions, when and how much?

The prototype should be finalized by tomorrow which is when we'll begin doing a few tilts and tip-over tests. Once we do the tip-overs and make any necessary tweaks we'll send the bar out to our powdercoaters. I'm hoping to have the finished bar back in our facility by early next week. After that we'll begin a normal production run of about 40-50 sets which generally takes approximately 4-6 weeks. So, with everything considered, you're looking at about a month until we have product ready to ship.

The cost of these bars is still being worked on. Unfortunately, we have to wait until all labor and materials are assessed before coming up with firm pricing but I would assume they'll be in the ~$275 range.

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »
Ryan, thanks for listening to all of the input!  I want a set as soon as you guys can get them ready.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #378 on: April 11, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
The upper fairing on the 2008s are so different and the mounting scheme would have to be modified greatly.  I don't think you would ever get the 2010-2012 cage to work on a 2008. As I recall the MCE crash bars offered for the 2008 are quite different from the 2010 as well.  I think somebody would have to lend MCE a 2008 to work on.

I just did a quick scale job of #11 on this picture and stretched the vertical bar up to the opening in the fairing.  #11 does look better than #8 on the 2008.  But the vertical bar's angle does not look right and you would not want to cut into the fairing to get the three point mounting.

Gordon

If MCE were to do a set for the 08/09 model I would suggest just using the small single bar as in pic 1 below and rotating it to a horizontal position and mounting it where the Top Block ones mount.

Done! Clean and simple and probably even lower cost...  8) :thumbs:

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #379 on: April 11, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »
Welp, here is #11 and hopefully the final design! I REALLY dig this design and it looks stellar on the bike. Also, it really goes well with the small rear guards as the radius' really match up and look awesome. I sure as hell hope you guys like this design as much as I do so we can get it finalized and finished!

I am *TOALLY* digging it, Ryan!  Best design so far, hands-down (#11).  It is a great compromise between protection and design/style.  Something absolutely designed specifically for the Concours.  I remain really impressed with your patience and your peoples' skills.  Still not sure I understand how it would connect at the bottom, but I am sure you have that covered ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc