Author Topic: Shoodaben gets new eyes (dual headlight!)  (Read 8028 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Shoodaben gets new eyes (dual headlight!)
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:59:14 AM »
Shoodaben just survived major surgery. New tires (avon storm ultra front, mich pr3 rear) flushed and re-oiled forks, cleaned and greased stem bearings / wheel bearings/ speedo cable; 320mm wave rotors, fork gaiters and a new dual headlight kit from Murph's. Gotta tell ya, the headlight system is really a work of art. Very well made. I'm looking forward to enjoying what is does for my night riding. Here's some pics - Steve
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:51:20 AM by Steve in Sunny Fla »

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: Shoodaben gets new eyes (dual headlight!)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »
more  -

Offline Electroken

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
Shoodaben is stealthy-lookin'!

I need to check into that headlight. Everyone knows the stocker sucks, and I have little faith in the DDM HID kit I installed a month ago.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »
Looking good Steve.  I am really digging those fork gators you have on.  Where did you get those?  If they dont protect the forks, aint nut'n gonna.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »
Looking good Steve.  I am really digging those fork gators you have on.  Where did you get those?  If they dont protect the forks, aint nut'n gonna.

From the rear shock of a kasaski voyager. Though i have some that a friend gave me from an aftermarket 4 wheel drive front suspension that would work great too, except they're red. Steve

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 10:11:19 AM »
I love those headlights for the C10, it really makes it look so much more modern.  Money well spent.  Great looking bike!
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline zsiska

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 10:35:56 AM »
  From the rear shock of a kasaski voyager. Though i have some that a friend gave me from an aftermarket 4 wheel drive front suspension that would work great too, except they're red. Steve

Red would be perfect for my 92 (Currently getting some powdercoating done and will be mostly black with red accents).  Any idea where I can pick some up?

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:41:46 AM »
Check out a 4wd shop - Steve

Offline Tele130

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
So you goina go riding tonight and let us know how much better the Dual system is?

I wish we had that little "Poke ya with a stick" icon thingie :rotflmao:  She's looking really sweet Steve. :hail: :thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 11:18:57 AM »
I really do like that light. Just think, for $15 you can  install true   HID  H9 bulbs  ( I know you already have the  wire harness and ballasts sitting in a box) and go from a max of ~1000 lumens up to 3200 lumens and that is for the 35watt kit. For $20 you could  get two  55 watt bulbs each rated at 4200 lumens.
At those intensities you should be able to vaporize  those  love bugs into  wisps of smoke  before they collect on your windshield.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 03:33:35 PM »
I also recently installed one of Murphs headlight kits.  I'm retired and daytime heat has been a total bear here lately, so I've been doing LOTS of night riding (1AM to 4AM jaunts for pleasure and therapy) since getting these eyes.

I can attest that these lights are amazing.  The really great thing is the extraordinary control of the light pattern for each beam.  I can run with high-beam on a narrowly divided highway and not get any "drop your beam" warning flashes from opposing traffic.  The low-beam cutoff is similarly super controlled so you are never disturbing traffic but you get great illumination of your path.

I can't help but think that inserting an HID bulb, which does not have the filament in exactly the same location as a spec H9 bulb, would only screw-up the tremendous beam-pattern engineering that Hella did on these modules.  Its worth noting that the Hella 90mm Halogen modules on which this unit is based are different for left and right-hand drive markets due to the beam pattern.
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 03:37:36 PM »
Great job. She just keeps looking better and better.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 04:07:27 PM »
Looking good Steve.  I am really digging those fork gators you have on.  Where did you get those?
Chris & zsiska - Google "Daystar D69" for fork boots that will fit the Connie, available in lots of colors at most dirtbike shops.  Model D69 fits the OEM Connie tube diameter nicely (you might want to check other numbers for your oversize fork, Chris), you'll need to cut the length to suit how you want them to look.  Mine are installed over a 2004/5 vintage KB fork brace on the stock fork:

Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
Hey thanks Centex, nice info.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »
I really do like that light. Just think, for $15 you can  install true   HID  H9 bulbs  ( I know you already have the  wire harness and ballasts sitting in a box) and go from a max of ~1000 lumens up to 3200 lumens and that is for the 35watt kit. For $20 you could  get two  55 watt bulbs each rated at 4200 lumens.

Ehh, a bit off. A stock H-9 puts out 2100 lumens and a stock D2S (HID) 3200 lumens. Many lamp mfg's hype their product... a lot. For comparison a standard H-4 puts out 1650/1000, and a hi power 130/100 H-4 puts out 3250/1820 which is close to an HID.

I'm running a Murphs headlight, and the key factor is the engineering that Hella did in mating an H-9 bulb to excellent optics. The key is the optics, not necessarily the bulb or wattage.

The Murphs headlight might be a candidate for an aftermarket HID kit, but if the 'filament' is the least bit off...

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org