Author Topic: Best Brake Pads?  (Read 5527 times)

Offline jjnorc

• 2009 C14 Non-ABS. Red.
Best Brake Pads?
« on: May 20, 2011, 08:49:08 AM »
It's a shame about the old Forum. So much useful information lost.

Anyway, I'm due to replace my front brake pads and I'm looking for recommendations.
Best stopping power with the least fade. I'm not worried about wear life.

Any help would be appreciated.
Because turning doesn't suck.

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: Best Brake Pads?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:54:19 AM »
Not to hijack your thread but how many miles do you get from your pads?

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline jjnorc

• 2009 C14 Non-ABS. Red.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:57:12 AM »
I'm at 12K now and the pads still have a few K left. I don't like to run them all the way down.

Offline Rudy

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:35:29 AM »
EBS HH sintered pads are great. I put these in my C14 a few K back. Better stopping power from fast than stock pads with no fade . They are kind of noisy though when applied. Make a whurring sound.

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 01:01:30 PM »
EBS HH sintered pads are great. I put these in my C14 a few K back. Better stopping power from fast than stock pads with no fade . They are kind of noisy though when applied. Make a whurring sound.

Yep, +1 on everything here except the company is EBC; but yes, they really work. I get slight squealing when they're completely cold, but after one normal stop that's gone. I got warranty rotors, "HH" brake pads and flushed the fluid and the front brake is great. The initial bite is similar to stock, but the more you squeeze the more improvement you notice.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »
I've used Carbonne Lorraine (SP?) and EBC HH pads.  I much prefer the EBC.  Far better initial bite.

YMMV,
Barry

Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
I will be going with Galfer.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rawman

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:24 PM »
The OEM pads are actually very good pads, HH scintered.  Use the Kawasaki 2010 and up pads as they were re-formulated to leave less pad material on the rotors.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
switched out pads @ 25k, went with EBC HH sitered, they do make a hissing sound, but they work fine...
cleaned discs meticulously, and scuffed them prior, in hopes it would remove anything possibly causing the vibes. worked for a while, but back again.... the pads work fine though...no fear.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline jjnorc

• 2009 C14 Non-ABS. Red.
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give the EBC HH's a try. :)

Offline muguvian

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »
Haven't tried the EBCs on this bike, but these are also good.  Not as much initial bite as the stock pads but quiet, clean, and strong.

http://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Galfer_Concours14_Brake_Pads_Front_p/galf-fd371g1370.htm

Offline jjnorc

• 2009 C14 Non-ABS. Red.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 04:01:10 PM »
Switched out the OEM's for the EBC-HH's. They bite in well and I haven't noticed any fade yet but I'm taking it easy on them until they seat in. They are louder than the OEM's. Definite hissing sound and they squeak more than the OEM's.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
Kind of funny that we all have the same bike but have different results.  I just switched to the EBC HH pads.  I cleaned my disks with a scouring pad (3M type to remove paint from metal), went over them with metal parts cleaner, then installed the pads.  Broke them in slowly.  About 500 miles later, no more vibes (so far), no more squeeks like the OE's, good bite and no fade.  They do have a kind of high pitched vibration when I am really squeezing them hard, just before I stop.  They do make noise when applied moderately.  Not too annoying.

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 11:26:45 PM »
Stay away from Ferodo pads for this bike.  I ran a set on my '08 for ~14K miles.  The timing was just right for a tire change.  The pads had worn down to barely 1mm of pad material remaining.  Performance was not as good as OE's.  I went with EBC's HH after that.  Although they worked well, I didn't think they worked as well as the OE in terms of initial bite.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 05:01:01 PM »
Have some Galfer HH gold coming to me in the mail, I will give my impressions of them in due time.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline DaveO

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »
oem would be best pad for oem discs.Kaw did a very good job on c14 brakes.
Unless you just want to risk  warping the discs  with aftermarket  pads.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »
oem would be best pad for oem discs.Kaw did a very good job on c14 brakes.
Unless you just want to risk  warping the discs  with aftermarket  pads.

Stock pads can warp rotors too. 

I like not having a face full of brake dust after a hard run through the hills.  The oem pads dusted the hell out of me, I haven't noticed nearly as much dust with the EBC pads. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 07:35:32 AM »
Stock pads can warp rotors too. 

I like not having a face full of brake dust after a hard run through the hills.  The oem pads dusted the hell out of me, I haven't noticed nearly as much dust with the EBC pads.

No kidding......my rear dropped so much dust that I can't believe there is any pad left!! :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »
I have used the original '08 pads, EBC's and the newer 2010 C-14 pads. The EBC and the newer factory type are quite similar but the original '08 pads had more initial grab as well as more sensitivity as you increased the braking pressure. They did tend to be somewhat noisy, although a touch of brake grease will quiet that down, and they made a huge amount of black dust all over the wheel but I think they were the best pure brake pads. They are also somewhat more expensive than the later 2010 types.

Just an opinion but the original '08 pads also seemed to be a little bit easier on the rotors. I say this because the rotors were less burnished with either of the other pads but do not have any data or measurements to support this opinion.

Brian

It's a shame about the old Forum. So much useful information lost.

Anyway, I'm due to replace my front brake pads and I'm looking for recommendations.
Best stopping power with the least fade. I'm not worried about wear life.

Any help would be appreciated.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »
Cabon Loraines were great at speeds below 130, turned to ice working on a quick slow.  Once bedded in the were awesome for all types of street riding.  Wore em out, went to Galf HH, just not getting the feel I want, some of that is the worn rotors, which should be in tomorow.  Stockers, well, if you like build up and shuddering rotors.  I'll see how the EBCs work out, as well as rotors.  Anyone interested, check out Murphs, he has the best standard deal out ther, and as always, free shipp ;D