Author Topic: Missing Front Wheel parts  (Read 621 times)

Offline kkja13

Missing Front Wheel parts
« on: December 03, 2020, 04:00:41 PM »
I posted this on the other list but wanted to gather more opinions ASAP.

A month ago I took my front wheel off to get a new tire mounted. The day after I took the wheel off I contracted Covid. Needless to say I haven't felt much like putting the wheel back on until yesterday. I started working on it and realized that I'm missing the snap ring and the speedometer engagement cup. I always remove them before taking a wheel to the shop to be mounted. I must have put them some place safe (from me). I wandered around the garage for over an hour yesterday with no luck.
My son will be here in 2 days and we were gonna ride some day trips around the area.
Is there any downside to putting it back together and riding it without the snap ring and speedometer cup in place, other than not having a working speedometer?

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Missing Front Wheel parts
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
Is there any downside to putting it back together and riding it without the snap ring and speedometer cup in place, other than not having a working speedometer?

No speedometer, as you mention, no odometer either. The latter may put you in hot water with your DMV, at least if you sell to a different party instead of pushing it into the canal

Other than that, I can see no issues. Go ride!

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 02:52:07 AM »
As Rick says, just do it. You will still need to fit the speedo drive though.
I rode mine for several weeks without the speedo receiver fitted with no problems other than no speedo.
I was waiting for a new one to be shipped from Japan.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline kkja13

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 08:01:54 AM »
Thanks for the speedy answers.  I'll put it back together this afternoon and rip on it tomorrow. 
Meanwhile I'll get the parts ordered and finish the job properly.  Any bets on how long it takes after the parts are ordered before the old parts magically appear in my garage?  It has been driving me crazy that I lost them!

Offline kkja13

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 07:02:35 AM »
FYI, Tractor Supply had a 1.625 snap ring that fit in the wheel nicely.  I'm running that until I get the Kawi parts.  No issues other than the speedo doesn't work.  Thanks for the help!