Author Topic: SiSF, Explain Your Cam Grinds?  (Read 9266 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: SiSF, Explain Your Cam Grinds?
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »
If anyone is interested in the power cams, now is the time - I think we have almost enough sets to get the price way down - like 275.00 shipped back to you - so let's get it together and make it happen - Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 09:08:55 AM »
This is a heck of a deal. The one I have was one of the original prototypes and cost quite a bit more than $275.
I want to have one ground for my sons Connie, so, Count me in.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline medicevans

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 10:00:05 AM »
I'm in as well.

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 01:58:29 PM »
But, for "normal" riding I'm thinking I want the torque grind??  I very seldome get over 6k rpm. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline medicevans

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 04:18:32 PM »
I still want the power grind, but I'm curious as to how much higher the extra torque starts with the power grind vs the torque grind. Looking at the dyno charts, power still makes more torque than torque grind even at only 3k rpm.

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »
The power grind has more lift, but apx the same duration as the replacement torque cams. That said, the duration controls the rpm range, the lift controls how much power is made in that range. In this case, the extra lift helps the power grind make better power for higher rpms than the torque cams by virtue of the improved ability to fill the cylinder. For someone who rarely goes over 6000 rpm, there's no reason to consider the power cams. You'll get virtually the same power with the torque cams, and the torque cams are going to be nicer to the rest of the valvetrain because of the shorter lift and less abrupt ramps. for someone who will wring the engine out to 9000 but wan't low end and really snappy midrange, the power cams are the way to go. Verrry linear and always there when you pull the throttle. Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »
The power grind has more lift, but approx the same duration as the replacement torque cams.
For someone who will wring the engine out to 9000 but wan't low end and really snappy midrange, the power cams are the way to go. Verrry linear and always there when you pull the throttle. Steve

Well  said. Best explanation of the cams I've read.
If you like to play in the twisties, the Power cams give you the best of both worlds. More low end and more on top......
If your a more mellow rider, the Torque cams arefor you!!!

Side note: I went to the Wildflower ride in Kerrville. While riding the twisties there, I normally have to use lower gears to ride the curves the way I want.
(We're not racing, we like to cruise thru the straights, push thru the curvies, then cruise to the next curves).

This time, With the new cams, I rode most of the weekend in 5th or 6th gear. Didn't have to down shift to get thru the turns. Resulted in smoother entry's/exits.
Hard to eplain, but I think I went faster thru the curves with more control.
I did shift down to the lower gears a few times. The power was definitely "there" when I wanted it!!! Goes like heck! With the extra mid range power from the cams, I just didn't feel the need to scream the engine....

Ride safe, Ted

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2011, 11:46:26 AM »
The power grind has more lift, but apx the same duration as the replacement torque cams. That said, the duration controls the rpm range, the lift controls how much power is made in that range. In this case, the extra lift helps the power grind make better power for higher rpms than the torque cams by virtue of the improved ability to fill the cylinder. For someone who rarely goes over 6000 rpm, there's no reason to consider the power cams. You'll get virtually the same power with the torque cams, and the torque cams are going to be nicer to the rest of the valvetrain because of the shorter lift and less abrupt ramps. for someone who will wring the engine out to 9000 but wan't low end and really snappy midrange, the power cams are the way to go. Verrry linear and always there when you pull the throttle. Steve

I also lean toward the "torque cams" because of the ease on the valve train.  Is the extra "power" from the power cams that noticable over the torque cams?  Will the power cams really hammer the valve train? 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »
Will the power cams really hammer the valve train?
I have the power cams and I did a valve adjustment (and to have a look) at 13k miles since installing them.
I can tell you that the cams and followers were totally smooth and shiny with no sign of wear. I am very pleased with them.
Near the end of July before heading to the Nationals in Vermont I will have another look and I should have over 20k on these cams by then.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2011, 06:58:31 PM »
I also lean toward the "torque cams" because of the ease on the valve train.  Is the extra "power" from the power cams that noticable over the torque cams?  Will the power cams really hammer the valve train?

since you rarely exceed 6000, going to the power cams would be an unnessessary expense that you'ld not get the benefit from. Remember that the power cams are ground on zx1000 cores, so you'ld have to buy cams before you could even get them ground, and you'ld have to do it quick-like, cus there's gonna be a special power cam grinding going on in a couple weeks... :o Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »
I received my new SiSF (Power) Cams from Steve last week.
I already have a set in my bike and really like the power!!

My intention was to give them to my son for his Connie. But his bike "may" be up for sale.
So, at this point I'm not sure if I'm going to hold them to put in a 1052, or let my son have them for his Connie.
Will have to see what his decision is onkeeping his Connie.

Ride safe, Ted

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
I have 4 sets of torque cams and one set of power cams in stock as of now...  :o Steve

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 07:17:31 AM »
Take it from me.  ;D
Someone needs to jump on the Power Cam, NOW!   :thumbs:

To build the Power Cams, Steve has to start with an old ZX Cam, and have it ground with a "Special" Grind.
There are very few ZX Cams available to do the grind.

So, there will NOT be many of the Power Cams made...

(I have "2")   <happy grin>    :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted