Author Topic: five-speed concours?  (Read 43306 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
Re: five-speed concours?
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 10:06:28 AM »
also has a corbin seat  :thumbs:

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline jklhill

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 10:38:43 AM »
Congratulations julianop! Looks real nice. Let us know what the second mystery switch turns out to be for.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »
Just found this thread. I'm up in MN kinda knocking around, could of hooked up yesterday or this morning, you would have been able to see what a '99 looks like after 150k miles.

If possible, try contacting the previous owner for more info on the bike. As a COGger, he/she should be quite cooperative.

Clarification: The 7th gear mod is a different gearset in the bevel drive, it raises all gears up 8 or 12%, depending on your choice. Especially nice if you're doing a lot of slabbing.

Suggestion: Do get your carbies SiSF-ied. Present price is $300, plus any parts that may be needed. This includes cleaning, 2 minute jet mod, and most importantly, overflow tubes.

Finally: Keep and eye on the events section here and over at the COG forum, quite active in the MN area, and nice folks to meet up with. I moved from Hastings, MN to FLA in '06. (I do not miss the winters). Headed back at O dark thirty this Friday.

Oh, and welcome.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 10:47:33 AM »

Looks like a late model stock seat to me.  Just like the one on my 06.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline julianop

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2011, 12:26:44 PM »
Couldn't get on the site last night to reply, so here are catch-ups...

Cholla - yes, I learned that, and as I will be doing 720 miles a week of slabbing between MN and IL while the weather is good I'm very interested in that mod.

Gregm784 - thanks for the comment. Good to hear about the fender mod - is that cosmetic or does it minimize pick-up from the road?

Jet86/Outback_Jon - I'll look for evidence of it being a name brand when I get back home this weekend.

jklhill - I will. The dealer said it isn't for a heated seat, so now I'm mystified. I'll poke around this weekend. And thanks for the comment.

SteveJ - I'm in Rockford Illinois through the week and only return home to Elk River at weekends; hopefully we can makes something work soon. Yep, I read up on the "shoodaben" mod, and have that straight in my head. I'm certainly going to do it - probably over the winter. And yes, I'll do the carbs too. I'll try to contact the previous owner - his name is in the owner's manual, so shouldn't be too tough.

I think that's handled the posted from all you kind folks. I'm really thrilled with the camaraderie on this site, not to mention the knowledge.

On that subject .... trailering...

I'm renting a U-haul motorcycle trailer this weekend to bring the bike down to Illinois. I'd welcome observations, recommendations or even plain anecdotes and warnings on this before I lash 'er down and hitch up the trailer to the back of my Grand Caravan. 360 miles is a long way with 650 lbs of bike behind my right ear, and I don't want to make any obvious mistakes. Not leaving it on the center stand is the first thing I learned already...

One last question: the red illumination from the after market voltmeter is too bright for night ops. Does anyone know (before I pull it out to look) if it's normal to have dimmer connections on motorcycle instruments?

Thanks all for your comments and advice.

Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline jklhill

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2011, 01:55:21 PM »
Good to hear about the fender mod - is that cosmetic or does it minimize pick-up from the road?
The fender extender extends the back of the front fender farther down to prevent rocks and other road debris being thrown into the oil cooler/radiator area.

And Outback Jon is correct. Stock seat.

Offline julianop

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
Fender: that's what I hoped.

Seat: no problem, it seems comfortable enough... but I'll tell you if I still think that way after my first iron-butt journey between Illinois and Minnesota  :o

The guy who outfitted this machine was smart - made good choices on options, and I think I'm darn lucky it came along at just the right time.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.
Seasonal Temporal Navigational Disorder - that inexplicable but wholly satisfying affliction that causes one to lose the ability to drive a motorcycle straight home after work in the summer months, despite the apparent ability to make the reverse journey that same morning.

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 03:50:58 PM »
Very nice. Enjoy!
"Always take the long way home."

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »

That is not a Corbin.... Looks to be a stocker.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »
One last question: the red illumination from the after market voltmeter is too bright for night ops. Does anyone know (before I pull it out to look) if it's normal to have dimmer connections on motorcycle instruments?

Generally no.... Not saying you might not be able to do something with the one you got but generally the anwser would be no.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 05:38:53 PM »
Juilianop - Nice looking bike - I personally prefer the darker blue of the 2006, but don't want to start (restart, resume) the discussion on the fastest color.  ;)

On mine, I'm seriously considering some nose art (aka WWII aircraft) where you have the COG emblem.   Have to find the right person to do it and the right design - risque, but not offensive.  I'm politically incorrect, but I do have a 9 year old daughter.

Good luck with her.   

Jeff
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Offline julianop

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
Anycleavers - thanks!

T-Cro - re voltmeter: that's a problem, it really is distractingly bright at night. I'll pull it out when I have time and see if there's a third wire. Otherwise I'm going to have to get some theatrical gel and mask it down a bit further.

potshotpanda - glad I missed the color saga ;-) Well my machine is a 2006, so maybe the sunshine and the cellphone camera make it look brighter than it really is. Nice idea on the nose art ! Er, yes, you do have to be careful. It'll start a whole new direction of inquisitive thinking about you in her mind that would be better delayed for a few more years! My teenage sons are very critical of me - I can't say a thing about any ... er ...  "walking scenery" without suffering a scolding from them!
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 07:28:33 PM »
potshotpanda - glad I missed the color saga ;-) Well my machine is a 2006, so maybe the sunshine and the cellphone camera make it look brighter than it really is.

Yep.  That's exactly what sunshine and a cellphone camera do to the 06 color.

Looking at your picture again, your scoops are on the wrong sides.  They're turned upside down so they face front, but they are switched left to right.  Two screws each and it will look much better.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline julianop

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 07:56:45 PM »
Looking at your picture again, your scoops are on the wrong sides.  They're turned upside down so they face front, but they are switched left to right.  Two screws each and it will look much better.

Good eye !
Well hopefully they'll sit a bit better when I flip them around. As I mentioned a couple days ago, when I put my feet on the highway pegs my shins hit the scoops and I have to turn my feet in to get them to stay on the pegs. Hopefully the flip will fix that.

So when I flip them to the winter position, I will have to flip front to back and left to right? Maybe the previous owner didn't do that, and that's why they're wrong now? It's flipping my brain just thinking about it. Something else to mess with this weekend. Hope the wife doesn't have too many honey-do's when I get home.

Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 08:03:57 PM »
Look at your U Haul trailer selection. They have a few with a corrugated (large) floor and a built in V in the nose that acts as a wheel chock. These also have in floor tie down loops. Might be hard to find but worth looking for.  That's a nice looking bike.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline julianop

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
  I've ran well over 100 gallons thru mine in just over a month. :)

I just thought that through: it's over 4000 miles, 4500, maybe? I wish I had your spare time to cruise around like that. Lucky fella.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline julianop

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »
Look at your U Haul trailer selection. They have a few with a corrugated (large) floor and a built in V in the nose that acts as a wheel chock. These also have in floor tie down loops. Might be hard to find but worth looking for.  That's a nice looking bike.

Yup, that's exactly what I have set up for the weekend, Ron Dawg - a proper motorcycle trailer, on a three-day "in town" rental for $45. Turns out the rental center is less than a mile from where I work - can't beat that for convenience. I was a little concerned, so I went round to get an early look at it. You're right - it's an excellent trailer - and I feel fully confident about the journey now. I borrowed some webbing straps from a motorcycling buddy I work with, he taught me how to tie it down properly - compressing the front suspension slightly - and think I'm good to go. And thanks for the compliment. I think I'm going to call her Alice, though I have absolutely no idea why; it's not that I ever knew a gal with that name.
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »
I liked that drop  ramp on the UHaul, too.  When I picked up my "new to me" 2000 last fall, the PO showed me how to tie it down. He took the seat off to get to the frame and I brought soft ties (Wal Mart) which looped around the frame and then were hooked by the ratchet straps pulled back, but FIRST do the front. Soft ties have a sewn loop in both ends like a tow strap and are about 18-24" long. He tied the front down first also using the soft ties around the fork brace (which he thoughtfully had installed) not the handle bars which would be tempting. Then the back end.  It rode 350 miles like that, but check it after a few miles and then when you stop to stretch. Good luck.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline julianop

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »
"Seat off" - excellent idea - I'll use it.
"Soft ties" - I'll look for them; nicer than the webbing to prevent any abrasion.
"Front first" - yup, got that.
"Fork brace" - don't know what that is, but if the PO installed it I won't have one.
"Check after a few miles" - got that.
Thanks for that advice.

I'm also going to arrange for somebody to spot me on the load, and especially the unload; I'm not a big guy, and this beast will get away from me given half a chance. Neither have I done the advanced course where you learn to ride downhill backwards ;)
Julian.
Elk River, MN.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »
Anycleavers - thanks!

T-Cro - re voltmeter: that's a problem, it really is distractingly bright at night. I'll pull it out when I have time and see if there's a third wire. Otherwise I'm going to have to get some theatrical gel and mask it down a bit further.

potshotpanda - glad I missed the color saga ;-) Well my machine is a 2006, so maybe the sunshine and the cellphone camera make it look brighter than it really is. Nice idea on the nose art ! Er, yes, you do have to be careful. It'll start a whole new direction of inquisitive thinking about you in her mind that would be better delayed for a few more years! My teenage sons are very critical of me - I can't say a thing about any ... er ...  "walking scenery" without suffering a scolding from them!

Perhaps a piece of dark window tint?
Tony P. Crochet