Author Topic: How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?  (Read 50660 times)

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
Re: How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2015, 01:16:22 PM »
New word for the day...litigious

Yeah, my lawyer Jackie Chiles has always wanted a piece of the big 3 Japanese bike makers

li·ti·gious
ləˈtijəs/Submit
adjective
concerned with lawsuits or litigation.
unreasonably prone to go to law to settle disputes.
suitable to become the subject of a lawsuit.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »
And I'm guessing overflow tubes lead to claims being paid out. We're living in a very litigious society.  The EPA excuse makes a good cover story for manufacturers

The thing of it is, without Overflow tubes, you would still be quite likely to leak gasoline. If the intake valve is closed on the cylinder that's leaking, it will simply leak out the airbox. If the valve is open, it will leak through to the engine oil and may or may not leak out the airbox, depending on the severity of the leak. It's not like the gasoline just sits there cuz you don't have overflow tubes. It will leak on the ground, quickly or eventually. It's that gravity thing.

The tubes just let you know before you hit the starter button that you have a defect, or more likely, a minimum of two defects.

Yeehaw!
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
But tubes don't fix the issue. Bad petcock/ float needles. Either check petcock periodically, oil level, clean carbs...or just go with manual petcock. Can't be that hard to remember to shut fuel off.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2015, 06:24:13 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn:
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2015, 06:27:53 PM »
:popcorn: :popcorn:
LOL that's not the first time someone watching & eating popcorn.

Offline jworth

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2015, 10:18:10 PM »
But tubes don't fix the issue. Bad petcock/ float needles. Either check petcock periodically, oil level, clean carbs...or just go with manual petcock. Can't be that hard to remember to shut fuel off.

Changing to a manual petcock doesn't fix anything.  It just changes the failure modes.  Manual petcocks can fail too.  Also, as others have said there is also the human error. 

The original post asked how to keep it from hydro-ing.  Well overflow tubes do fix that.  In fact, it is the ONLY fix that works every time.  The OP didn't ask how to fix a leaky petcock or leaky float needles.  It's absurdly obvious that overflow tubes don't fix those.  The plain truth is that nothing is perfect.  Suppose a dirt dauber decides to fill your overflow drain tube with mud.  Anything can fail in some way or another.  So back to what I believe to be the intent of the original post which was the best, most practical method for preventing hydrolocks.  That's overflow tubes.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2015, 03:02:32 AM »
Changing to a manual petcock doesn't fix anything.  It just changes the failure modes.  Manual petcocks can fail too.  Also, as others have said there is also the human error. 

The original post asked how to keep it from hydro-ing.  Well overflow tubes do fix that.  In fact, it is the ONLY fix that works every time.  The OP didn't ask how to fix a leaky petcock or leaky float needles.  It's absurdly obvious that overflow tubes don't fix those.  The plain truth is that nothing is perfect.  Suppose a dirt dauber decides to fill your overflow drain tube with mud.  Anything can fail in some way or another.  So back to what I believe to be the intent of the original post which was the best, most practical method for preventing hydrolocks.  That's overflow tubes.
I would think a manual petcock changes a lot. the petcock is the start of the problem. it leaks. the next step is the float needles failing to seal. manual petcocks are much less apt to fail.
 human error- is it really that hard to remember to turn off the fuel every time you stop?
anything can fail.
I think the best way to prevent hydrolock is to stop the flow of fuel.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2015, 03:45:30 AM »
Do you turn the gas off when you stop to fuel up, when you stop for 5 for a picture and a drink? How much fuel does it take in the combustion chamber to stop compression? I think the point is just as there are several parts to a complete failure there are several parts to prevention.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2015, 03:53:36 AM »
the leaky petcock I experienced was a drip. how many drips to fill a combustion chamber at refuel stop?  easy fix, buy and install new petcock

I agree there are several parts to failure / prevention, but the main thing I keep hearing is overflow tubes. why not just pull the fuel line off the petcock ?
same results. the gas ends up on the floor
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:24:16 AM by salnap »

Offline JDM

« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2015, 06:22:18 AM »
the leaky petcock I experienced was a drip. how many drips to fill a combustion chamber at refuel stop?  easy fix, buy and install new petcock

I agree there are several parts to failure / prevention, but the main thing I keep hearing is overflow tubes. why not just pull the fuel line off the petcock ?

If the petcock fails, you will get fuel on the ground one way or another. It might take longer for it to fill a combustion chamber and start running out the air cleaner box (BAD DEAL), or, if installed, out the overflow tubes. Your choice.   
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2015, 06:28:08 AM »

Brilliant!

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2015, 06:52:40 AM »
Brilliant!
maybe we can add this to the list of " fixes "

A lot easier and cheaper.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:20:50 AM by salnap »

Offline JDM

« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2015, 08:49:25 AM »
maybe we can add this to the list of " fixes "

A lot easier and cheaper.

Here you go.  http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Quick-Disconnect-Couplings/dp/B000N5TI3W

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2015, 08:52:21 AM »
From the site:
Capable of withstanding temperatures of -40 deg. F to 180 deg. F
I don't think I'd trust the 180 degree part.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »

I believe that qualifies for inexpensive...I mean cheap...uh, frugal. Yeah, that's it.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2015, 11:47:37 AM »
I'm not really cheap, but if I have to spill fuel on the ground, why pay extra to do it?? :banana

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »
You and I are on the same page. I suggested installing an inline shutoff valve that
cost all of $5.
I never heard the end of that.

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
and let me guess..it didn't restrict the flow, didn't turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight...

post up a pic of your set up if you can

Offline JDM