Author Topic: Which oil?  (Read 19694 times)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: Which oil?
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 08:08:56 AM »
Another Rotella T6 5W40 user here.  Just started using it, as Walmart almost never has their brand of 10W40 full synthetic in stock around here.  When I asked about it, the salesperson said that it always sells out quickly.  I asked why they don't order larger quantities and got a blank stare.  ::)
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Bluegray

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 06:02:45 PM »
The PO had been running Castrol Gtx in my bike. I had always used Casrol in my bikes when I was younger. I was told Castrol had changed it's ingredients and should not be used in MC's. I contacted Castrol and they advised it was no recommended to be used in MC's.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 06:30:10 PM »
The PO had been running Castrol Gtx in my bike. I had always used Casrol in my bikes when I was younger. I was told Castrol had changed it's ingredients and should not be used in MC's. I contacted Castrol and they advised it was no recommended to be used in MC's.

Did they say why not or recommend the use of their own brand of motorcycle specific oil?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline DarrellB

• Arena
  • If your going to ride. Ride. Forget the trailer
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 07:34:03 PM »
That seems strange to me. I knew serveral mc mechanics that used Castrol as their house oil for the bikes they did service for.
02 Connie with 06 Skin

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:53 PM »
That seems strange to me. I knew serveral mc mechanics that used Castrol as their house oil for the bikes they did service for.

Times and oils have changed a lot but when I worked in the Honda M/C Shop in the 80's we did sell Honda M/C oil in the front and we would install if you asked but the service dept house oil was Castrol GTX Oil as at that time it met all of Honda's M/C spec.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »
Did they say why not or recommend the use of their own brand of motorcycle specific oil?

They probably do that because now they have the moto specific oils.

I know years back Valvoline didnt have any such disclaimer on their site, but now they recommend their motorcycle oil.  I heard too that they now have a synthetic moto oil as well.  Might give that a shot next change.  Ive always liked their other oils...
Say what?

not2old

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »
I buy the cheapest oil I can find at the convenience store and add half a tube of KY.  Working so far.

Offline Murph

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2011, 08:32:21 PM »
Castrol  Actevo x-tra''

Murph
COG 2769
Industry member

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 09:08:26 AM »
I ran an Olds 455 in a jet boat for years.  Castrol is the only oil the motor ever broke down and it only took about 10 hours.  I thought the top end had went south on me.  Changed over to Royal Purple and I was good to go.

What's the advantage of "Diesel" oil in a bike?

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 09:24:18 AM »
I ran an Olds 455 in a jet boat for years.  Castrol is the only oil the motor ever broke down and it only took about 10 hours.  I thought the top end had went south on me.  Changed over to Royal Purple and I was good to go.

What's the advantage of "Diesel" oil in a bike?

More of everything as I understand it.  Higher zinc content, more like a moto-specific oil, and better ability to keep the "dirt" suspended. 
Lots of info about that over at www.bobistheoilguy.com

I tried it based on tons of recommendations on the VTX forum when I had one, and based on the BITOG site, and was happy with it, so I continued using it on the Connie.  Well, it went in the Bandit first, and now the Connie. 

I used to use MX4T or whatever Mobil 1 calls it now, but a change to my current oil, Mobil 1 TDT, and Ive noticed NO difference in the way the bike sounds or works.  I know sometimes guys notice a difference in shift feel, or some hear different sounds even, but when I switched, it sounded the same as always and worked the same as it had on the previous MX4T too...and its about half the price.
Of course I wouldnt use an oil simply based on sound or feel, but some do judge oils that way, so I thought Id throw that last bit in there.

Personally, I like having synthetic in the engine.  Some dont.  Its just one more thing to add to the oil debate, but it boils down to using what you are comfortable with in the engine, based on everything you have come up with doing your own research. 

And, while I like the TDT oil, I do feel a bit better with a moto-specific oil in there, and really, its not THAT much more expensive to use it.  Heck, I spend probably 4x more on oil in my truck in a year than I do on the bike!  Not to mention the other two cars...so $40 an oil change in the bike, even if its twice a year, is nothing.

Say what?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2011, 09:49:51 AM »
Oh boy! Another oil thread! :-)
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2011, 10:00:06 AM »
I run Shell Rotella 15w40. I've never used synthetic oil in any of my Concours. I have had no cam pitting and no oill related failures, bike shifts wonderful, and I have put a few miles on the Concours I've owned. Run what you want, spend what you want I find conventional motor oil works just fine.

+1
I keep thinking I want to try to use the Rotella, Synthetic...   But I've never had a problem,, so why change?
Convince me...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »
I keep thinking I want to try to use the Rotella, Synthetic...   But I've never had a problem,, so why change?
Convince me...

Absolutely noting wrong with running dino oil; even automotive dino oil as long as it is changed out regularly as motorcycle engines are harder on oil period simply due to design. And just as important is that it is of the proper viscosity too; in fact slightly heavier oils such as 15/40 or 20/50 which are listed as acceptable in the both the Owner's and Service Manuals will often show an added benefit of improving the quality of the feel of the shifting when fresh.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply voicing "THEIR" opinion.... To which my opinion is on Mobil 1 15W50...

Convinced?
Tony P. Crochet

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2011, 05:07:26 PM »
... To which my opinion is on Mobil 1 15W50...

Convinced?
I sent to 3 places today and none of them had it.   :-[

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
I sent to 3 places today and none of them had it.   :-[

I've never not found my flavor on the shelf at AutoZone.....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2011, 05:34:42 PM »
I've never not found my flavor on the shelf at AutoZone.....
AutoZone is the first place I went to.  They were having some kind of sale with oil/filters/some other stuff in a package.  They were low on oil.
Then I went to Kragen.  Then to Reibe's. 
There a Tognotti's and a Pep Boys near my work.  I'll try it tomorrow.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »
AutoZone is the first place I went to.  They were having some kind of sale with oil/filters/some other stuff in a package.  They were low on oil.
Then I went to Kragen.  Then to Reibe's. 
There a Tognotti's and a Pep Boys near my work.  I'll try it tomorrow.

I hate to say it but have you tried going to Wally World? I've seen it there before; but I hate shopping there more than going to the Dentist.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2011, 09:23:06 AM »
I used oil once.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2011, 12:09:26 PM »
I used oil once.
Did you get a ring job to stop the oil usage? :yikes: :rotflmao:
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2011, 03:19:14 PM »
Keep my personal life outta this. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50