Author Topic: Muffler Scrape  (Read 7038 times)

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
Muffler Scrape
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:12:41 PM »
OK so just noticed this morning that I have a pretty bad scrape on my stock exhaust (on the gray section)….first I was trying to figure out how this happened ??? I have not laid the bike over and it looks as though it happened at high speed…in a right hand turn has anyone scraped their exhaust?

Second I am going to try and clean it up…anyone have thoughts on a paint that would match that gray very well?

Offline Conrad

Re: Muffler Scrape
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:19:24 PM »
That's strange. Could someone have brushed up against your bike, sideswiped it maybe?

I think that you would have noticed if you were leaned over that far in a right hand turn.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:29:08 PM »
Yeah I can’t figure it out….starting to tick me off, if it did not look like it was done while MOVING I would chuck it up with scratched it while it was in the garage or something like that…I can’t figure it out….I may just do the wheel paint or something like that that everyone is doing….I was just hoping to hear that everyone has been in a TIGHT right hand and scraped their cannon. I took a on ramp exit yesterday WAY tighter than I ever have but I am with you I am pretty sure I would know if I scraped, plus I know I did not scrape my peg and I figure you would scrape your peg before you would ever come close to scraping your pipe…??? Complete lose

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »
I've seen this twice on the track, (on a 14) caused by improper body position and application of the brake while leaned over.  I wasnt shocked the first time it happened, part of the learning curve (pun intended), but when the rider did it a second time we had a nice little chat.  Shoulders follow the hips, braking/slowing happens before entry (not discussing trail braking).  All about maximizing suspension to maximize traction ;D  Any time hard parts touch down we are giving up traction, which usually means technique needs to be altered to match rider and bike being ridden. 
As far as painting the caps?  Consider a stealthier color and do both, looks better then the hoover silver ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
I've seen this twice on the track, (on a 14) caused by improper body position and application of the brake while leaned over.  I wasnt shocked the first time it happened, part of the learning curve (pun intended), but when the rider did it a second time we had a nice little chat.  Shoulders follow the hips, braking/slowing happens before entry (not discussing trail braking).  All about maximizing suspension to maximize traction ;D  Any time hard parts touch down we are giving up traction, which usually means technique needs to be altered to match rider and bike being ridden. 
As far as painting the caps?  Consider a stealthier color and do both, looks better then the hoover silver ;D

+1
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:50:38 PM »

Chet, you're saying that someone scraped their bazooka without scraping the peg feelers?

Conner, forget the paint fix, it's time for an Area P!    8)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:58:53 PM »
Chet, you're saying that someone scraped their bazooka without scraping the peg feelers?

:D That was my first mod after getting the bike.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »

Yep!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 04:10:49 PM »
I think if you got low enough to scrape the muffler, you would know it.  I would think the bag would touch down first though.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
Either powder coat them or buy a different can...

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 04:34:51 PM »
I think if you got low enough to scrape the muffler, you would know it.  I would think the bag would touch down first though.
Think new bike, first time on a track, about a 170 degree right turn, off camber, slight down hill, heading toward a up hill climb with a hard left hander, focusing on a drill experience.  Something else he did was enter the corner way too early, which set up the potential for a really bad experience, which fortunately didnt happen.  Purt near full compression on suspension, exagerated angle and rapid application of brake led to the touch down.  If he had chosen a better entry point and better body position his speed woulda been fine, instead he chose an early apex vs a late apex and he had a mild panic attack, hence the brakes.  He had no idea he touched, but the scrapes were all the evidence he needed.  And BTW, bags were off for that session.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »
Of course, this all never happened without pictures...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »
Of course, this all never happened without pictures...
http://www.perfect-shotz.com/?p=photos&eid=206
No pics of the actual touch down, but there are quite a few of the '08, with and without bags, I had forgotten he also had the monster Corbin box on!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 05:43:33 PM »
Pictures are too small for my tired eyes to make out much of anything.  I'm lucky I can identify the bike.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 04:51:48 AM »
Think new bike, first time on a track, about a 170 degree right turn, off camber, slight down hill, heading toward a up hill climb with a hard left hander, focusing on a drill experience.  Something else he did was enter the corner way too early, which set up the potential for a really bad experience, which fortunately didnt happen.  Purt near full compression on suspension, exagerated angle and rapid application of brake led to the touch down.  If he had chosen a better entry point and better body position his speed woulda been fine, instead he chose an early apex vs a late apex and he had a mild panic attack, hence the brakes.  He had no idea he touched, but the scrapes were all the evidence he needed.  And BTW, bags were off for that session.

Ah, that 'splains it. Thanks Lucy!

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »

Makes sense.  But I wonder if the OP had his bags on, and if they were scraped too.  That said, a fully compressed rear suspension will change the geometry a lot, making it easier to scrape hard parts without being fully leaned over.

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 08:40:13 AM »
OK so I am pretty sure it was a scrape from the turn....It was a pretty steep incline with a very sharp curve, I remember hitting it at a much shaper angle than normal and also hitting a pothole, I can remember it hit hard enough that the first thing I did was check my mirrors to make sure my bags were still secure. I am thinking I scraped during that time. My bag shows no sign of scraps I figure my rear wheel dropped in the hole just as the stars aligned so that my pipe scraped and not my bags ???

This is the ONLY thing I can figure... 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »
OK so I am pretty sure it was a scrape from the turn....It was a pretty steep incline with a very sharp curve, I remember hitting it at a much shaper angle than normal and also hitting a pothole, I can remember it hit hard enough that the first thing I did was check my mirrors to make sure my bags were still secure. I am thinking I scraped during that time. My bag shows no sign of scraps I figure my rear wheel dropped in the hole just as the stars aligned so that my pipe scraped and not my bags ???

This is the ONLY thing I can figure...

The stars are whispering to you, Area P. Don't make them yell.     :D

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »
I have been looking....Thinking about changing air filter, removing flies, and full areaP system, now If the star would just start whispering to the wife…hehe

Offline curly

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 07:14:20 AM »
Sorry so late here, but to answer your question, Home Depot sells a perfect match for the silver end caps. Can't remember if it's krylon or what but it's called silver metallic and is in one of those cans that has the trigger type spray instead of cap and push button. It's around $7 bucks for a can but it is a perfect match.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.