Author Topic: 1991 ford Winsor getting tired?  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Elfmaze

1991 ford Winsor getting tired?
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »
My tow vehical a 1991 ford van has about 180,000 miles on it.  And after seeing how much a new van will cost, i'm hoping to keep this one running.....

But,  the engine is super tired.  van can barley get out of its own way esp with the hills up here and the freeway with a slight incline is full throttle.  I replaced much needed plugs.  what is next?  check compression,  clogged cat? mabe cap and rotor?

Where could all the power have gone?

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
Re: 1991 ford Winsor getting tired?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 09:36:10 PM »
possibly new fuel injectors? i have a 94 E150 and am considering the same thing. When i run a couple bottles of injector cleaner in it, it seems to temporarily restore power. Just a thought though.

mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:17:04 PM »
In 91, the 351 Windsor engine barely had enough power to pull it's own weight when new. Damn good engine though, and well worth rebuilding and some upgrades to keep things moving. At that many miles, I'd recommend a rebuild, with a good truck cam, and a good set of aftermarket cyl heads. If the budget is too tight for that, a rebuild with a decent set of pistons to bump the compression half a point might get You the power You need.

Good luck with it. Mac.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 08:15:16 AM »
I would check for an exhaust restriction (cat) first.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/support/exhaust101/inspections.asp

Then  you can check compression on the engine.... 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
^^ Jim is right. Def check the converter for restriction first. If the converter is hollow, then the substrate might have blown into the muffler causing a restriction.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
Get underneath and wiggle the catcon (COLD!). If it rattles the cat is likely clogged. Make sure its not the heat shield rattling.
But, I agree, that engine is getting tired. It's getting grey whiskers.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 06:05:46 PM »
Got under her a bit today.  Still thudded.  but it was hard to get a good whack to it with the heat shield.  Neighbor came by and said his was packed with unburnt carbon and his truck is a year younger than mine(said headers and a cat delete really helped his...) .  Unfortunately need to cut it out to check further.  I was looking for a good project for the welder.