Author Topic: backfiring on deceleration  (Read 6364 times)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Re: backfiring on deceleration
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
I know you have B-O plates, but do you have stick coils. New spark plugs does not mean good plug wires.

No stick coils.  Is there a way of correcting the possible no spark problem without spending another boatload of money on stick coils for this bike?

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 12:51:48 AM »
No stick coils.  Is there a way of correcting the possible no spark problem without spending another boatload of money on stick coils for this bike?

If the coils are good, Murph's sells a rebuild kit.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=51
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »
If the coils are good, Murph's sells a rebuild kit.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=51
Thats one option.  Unsrew the plug wire from the plug boot.  Look and see if the inside of the wire is green or discolored.,  Trim about 1/4" off of the plug wires and screw them back into the boots and see if that makes it any better.  The manual has a good check list for testing the coils.  I just dont have mine with me.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Daggett

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »
I was able to determine that it was a missing stopper on the middle carb.  Prev. owner had taken a small piece of vacuum tube and inserted a self tapping sheet metal screw in the end and I guess my riding it had caused it to loosen.  Put on a cap and it runs like a top again. 

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »
 :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 05:44:24 PM »
Hey, that's my trick!

I was able to determine that it was a missing stopper on the middle carb.  Prev. owner had taken a small piece of vacuum tube and inserted a self tapping sheet metal screw in the end and I guess my riding it had caused it to loosen.  Put on a cap and it runs like a top again.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1