Author Topic: 2nd C10 - go naked? - what to do?  (Read 2374 times)

Offline Stasch

2nd C10 - go naked? - what to do?
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:39:10 PM »
Would like some opinions here.

I have an '05 C10 with 27,xxx miles as a project.  I know the bike, and its super solid mechanically.  It had a right low side by its owner.  The fairing including right inner and upper inner is cracked / broken / parts missing.  Headlight and turn signals all made it just fine.  No farkles on it (all have been removed already).

Right muffler as an exhaust lead just in front of the can, under the little shroud.  Maybe it cold be welded.

Fairing bracket is tweaked pretty good.  Bags (both sides) are also gone.  I was surprised there wasn't significant dents to the front of the tank on one or both sides from the fairing.  There's only a very small dimple dent on right front of tank, almost unnoticeable.  A few scratches on the right side cover that might rub out with plastic polish.

Bike is still a solid driver mechanically, but totalled by ins. co. due to the OEM costs of the tupperware.

Its going to need tires (which were probably the reason for the dump) and a battery. 

1) Part it out.  That's something I have a hard time with because its a complete functioning machine with lots of use left in it.

2) Get it to a functional bare bike which would require:
        - Tires - $250 - $300
        - Battery - $100 est.
        - Right handlebar - $50 est.
        - Right rider Peg and bracket - $90 max total.
        - a set of handlebar mounted mirrors - $40?
        - right muffler $75 ??
        - some type of headlamp with mounting ears and front turn signals befitting a naked - est. $100
        - rear sub frame removed and straightened just a bit - not a huge job - have done it before.  - Free

3) try to get fairing parts including fairing bracket, and bags to restore to full OEM functionality.

4) sell it as is - probably won't get much at all for it.

I'm leaning towards number 2 because I'm a sucker for lost puppies and motorcycles needing a little TLC to be functional. 

Then I have to wonder what to do with it.  Already have 2 road bikes ready to go at any time.

What say you guys?  Anyone have parts for option 2) or 3) for reasonable cost?
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline works4me

Re: 2nd C10 - go naked? - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
  If you can get the bike for less than a grand then
#3 makes the most sense to me.
  With patience and prudence you will find
everything you need on EBay.
  Only part out a bike that has no value whole.
This bike doesn't sound like it's quite there yet.
  Option #2 seems like it would be the most expensive.

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:07 AM »
Most of the stuff you need you will need for either 2 or 3. Go 2 for a "my it is hot out here and I need some breeze" setup. Hard to think of really hot right now, but when I pull the Rifle plexiglass off at a certain time every year I wonder why I don't just buy a headlight bucket and save the plastics? I bet I could make it work keeping the stock connectors and such to transform back when it gets cool.

That is why I am saving my handlebar mount mirrors!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 10:57:24 AM »
gO nEKID... Highly reccomended....

before and during:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/197545285ZPOTXA

after:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/410563888cylQwc

deciding what color is the second hardest part, sanding and prep sucks, but when it's done it is a one of a kind bike.... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline yoman

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:08:17 PM »
I went semi naked and love it.

I probably have a decent right muffler.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
I have a set of 86 bars and post 86 bars.

I would pick up an sv650 headlight and make her nekkid.  Always been a fan of the naked bike.  My connie is my first faired bike and I'm still on the fence.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F