Author Topic: running out of gas feeling  (Read 4935 times)

quiet and invisible

running out of gas feeling
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:53:38 AM »
Hi all, I have a question. I ride the C14 and it's in stock form with the exception of a Leo Vince slip on pipe. With my last 2 tanks of gas when I get down to around a gallon and a half of gas I am getting hesitation on hard acceleration. It feels like I'm out of gas and need to flip the petcock over, you remember that feeling? Of course I know there is no petcock. I have been riding this bike for 2 and a half years and this has only happened on my last 2 tanks of gas. I have 37,000 miles on my bike and all the maintenance is done. The first time I noticed I was going to do a multiple car pass. I shifted down to 2nd gear and hit the throttle like I've done a thousand times before.( no I didn't hit the rev limiter)  The bike started going then it started. To someone watching it would have looked like I was rolling on and off of my throttle. All I could picture is something clogging my fuel pump. Do you have any ideas? Has anyone experienced this before?

I forgot to mention that when I fill my tank the problem goes away.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: running out of gas feeling
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:21:55 AM »
when I get down to around a gallon and a half of gas I am getting hesitation on hard acceleration. It feels like I'm out of gas and need to flip the petcock over, you remember that feeling? when I fill my tank the problem goes away.

That sounds a lot like a tank pickup filter/screen being clogged by floating debris (or maybe even water?)

I just checked the factory manual- yep, there is a pickup filter on the fuel pump in the tank:
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 07:25:55 AM »
Is it possible the fuel tank isn't venting and you're pulling a partial vacuum?
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 07:32:11 AM »
I would lean more towards the vacuum being the cause...  When you get down that low in the tank and it started doing it again.  Stop the bike and open the tank and listen for a whoosh.   If you hear that it could be a vacuum issue.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

quiet and invisible

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 07:50:29 AM »
I do have the whoosh. I have removed the venting hoses and blown through them. They are clear of blockage. I check these quite often because I have seen pics of tanks imploding. I was afraid it might be the fuel filter. I had to change one on a previous bike and it was a PITA. Thanks for your ideas.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
Thank you for joining our forum.   Someone will chime in on what to look for in the gas lid where more than likely that's where the problem is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 08:09:14 AM »
I will be very interested in see how to fix this since I have the vacuum issue with my tank (but no problems with hesitation).  I just noticed that it started "whooshing" when I open the cap to refuel, after the dealer put my new tank on.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Wild_Bill

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
Sounds like fuel filter. Check the sticky; http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1238.0

Kawy says the filter is not a replacement item and you have to replace the pump, they are wrong.

Let us know what you find

Bill
Formerly known as Badnews_Bill

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 10:36:35 AM »
It could also be a acullmination of water in the tank, mine did the same thing,it would hesitate and fall on it's face when I'd wack the throttle with a quarter tank in it but not while it was full. I treated gas for about three weeks and noticed a lot more moisture out the exhaust pipe on startups in the morning,The problem did clear up and I now buy premium gas only at busy gas stations!

quiet and invisible

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
I went through the fuel filter thing before with Suzuki. They also said to replace the entire fuel filter but I was able to go in and clean it out. This is something I was hoping it wouldn't be. With Suzuki the problem was a little different. The bike stalled every time I stopped and they could NOT find the issue. Finally I found the info on a web site and followed the step by steps. I will be checking the venting out.  This problem seems to be different, I hope it's venting and not the filter. Thanks again.

quiet and invisible

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »
It could also be a acullmination of water in the tank, mine did the same thing,it would hesitate and fall on it's face when I'd wack the throttle with a quarter tank in it but not while it was full. I treated gas for about three weeks and noticed a lot more moisture out the exhaust pipe on startups in the morning,The problem did clear up and I now buy premium gas only at busy gas stations!
I'm going to try the gas treatment also. I was thinking sea foam. They put so much crap in our gas now. This is going to get much worse when they start shoving the 15% crap down our throats.

Offline IRULE

• How sweet it is...
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
out of the box thinking!  could it be that you are starting to running out of gas and the indicator is faulty?  Did you measure how miles from each tank?  :o
2009 Black Kawasaki Concours 14
2009 Red Buell 1125CR
1978 Triumph Bonneville

quiet and invisible

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 12:01:21 PM »
out of the box thinking!  could it be that you are starting to running out of gas and the indicator is faulty?  Did you measure how miles from each tank?  :o
no way, this is happening around 120 miles or so. I still have anywhere from a gallon and a half to 2. I just tried opening the gas cap like suggested and it made no difference. After a few miles I turned the bike off while rolling and then just turned it back on. This made the issue go away. Almost like something reset itself. HMMMMM

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »
You haven't removed the tank or done any work to the engine lately, have you?  It could be water in the gas and it would have to be a lot to affect a fuel injected engine I would think.  It might not be a bad idea to pull the tank and empty it out.

quiet and invisible

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
You haven't removed the tank or done any work to the engine lately, have you?  It could be water in the gas and it would have to be a lot to affect a fuel injected engine I would think.  It might not be a bad idea to pull the tank and empty it out.
I haven't had it off. Nothing has been touched since about MAy when I had my valves done. I think I might just get rid of that gas. Good idea.

quiet and invisible

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 05:23:53 PM »
Has anyone reused the gasket between the fuel pump and the gas tank. I'd like to tear into it tomorrow but don't have any way of getting a new gasket between now and then. The closest dealership s 75 miles away and they don't really like doing anything that isn't Harley.  I'll have to get one from bike bandit.com. So should I wait for a new gasket or can I reuse the one that's there. I know on my Suzuki it was a rubber one that was reusable. thanks again.
I'm definitely doing what
Aussiedave did, he seems to have found the problem. Damn, I just went through this 3 years ago with my Suzuki. Well, at least I have some experience and this one looks easier to do.