Concours 1400 (C14) FAQ > Brakes - ABS/Non ABS

caliper cleaning

(1/3) > >>

gonzosc1:
how often do you clean the calipers, talking about pistons and boots.
do you use brake cleaner spray?

JoeR:
When I replace the pads, yes I use brake cleaner.  I spray inside and outside the brake caliper and use a toothbrush to clean the pistons off without removing them from the caliper.

B.D.F.:
Whenever the pads need to be replaced. I never push the pistons back into the caliper and install new pads- I take the calipers off the bike, take the pistons out and clean both the calipers and pistons. Pushing the pistons back into the caliper also pushes a line of crud that has built up on the pistons back past the seals and is a major source of failed piston seals in my opinion. Motorcycle brakes seem to be much more delicate than auto brakes, at least regarding the seals and dust boots, so cleaning the piston thoroughly seems to be more important than it is on auto brakes.

Brake cleaner is fine for cleaning any / all brake parts. Just use a small amount of brake fluid or bettery yet caliper grease when installing anything into a seal, such as a piston, to lubricate it.

Brian

--- Quote from: gonzosc1 on May 13, 2011, 01:46:21 PM ---how often do you clean the calipers, talking about pistons and boots.
do you use brake cleaner spray?

--- End quote ---

stevewfl:
> 32,000 miles and I've never cleaned mine, but KiPass is on top of things

gonzosc1:
ok thanks, I was just wondering if I should have done it when I changed the tires 2 weeks ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version