Author Topic: Dont forget to check the relay  (Read 2255 times)

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
Dont forget to check the relay
« on: October 02, 2014, 06:24:44 PM »
The OEM battery in my 09 C14 finally died for good and I had to replace it. I took out the old, took it with me in case they wanted it for a core charge, and bought the new one. I had a few things to do so I didn't get around to putting it in til the next day. Got it installed and the bike cranked right up........... but........... none of my add-ons were working. No power to my GPS, back-off module was not supplying power to my brake lights, my air horn was silent, etc..... I added an extra fusebox under the seat that houses all my fuses and they were all good. I checked the couple in line fuses near the battery and they were good. I started removing plastic and tracing all my wiring. Then I got to a relay that I added to supply power to the fuse box when the ignition is on. The relay wasn't clicking and was not supplying power to the fusebox. Replaced the relay and all is good again. I have probably used 50 relays since my teenage years in all kinds of different automotive applications. I have never had one stop working. Maybe I have been lucky or maybe this one was just bad, but it only lasted 3 years. So, the moral of the story....... when you have checked everything else, it might be the relay.  :doh:
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Dont forget to check the relay
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 04:21:22 AM »
Thanks for relaying that information to us!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 05:28:22 PM »
Thanks for relaying that information to us!
Bada Boom !!!!!!!!!
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:05:38 AM »
Now that I'm apartment living, my poor bike sits out in the rain. A couple of weeks ago I came out of my apartment where it had been raining all night and my LED driving lights we on. I didn't have time to deal with it so I just disconnected them at the housing. The next weekend I plugged them back in and everything was fine. My self installed relay must have gotten wet and stuck on. After it dried out it was ok again. I've got a bunch of maintenance issues to work on and will be taking a lot of plastic off. Now a new one on the list is to replace that relay and water proof the new one some how.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 11:10:25 AM »
Now that I'm apartment living, my poor bike sits out in the rain. A couple of weeks ago I came out of my apartment where it had been raining all night and my LED driving lights we on. I didn't have time to deal with it so I just disconnected them at the housing. The next weekend I plugged them back in and everything was fine. My self installed relay must have gotten wet and stuck on. After it dried out it was ok again. I've got a bunch of maintenance issues to work on and will be taking a lot of plastic off. Now a new one on the list is to replace that relay and water proof the new one some how.

How about a nice rainproof cover for the bike?  Never understood folks letting their bikes sit out in the elements.  If mine is parked for longer than a meal, it gets covered.  They are even covered in the shop.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
How about a nice rainproof cover for the bike?  Never understood folks letting their bikes sit out in the elements.  If mine is parked for longer than a meal, it gets covered.  They are even covered in the shop.

Thought about that but I commute on the bike. It would mean going down to the parking lot, removing the cover, bringing it back up to the apartment every morning at 6:30 and then reversing the process every evening. I'm just too lazy. However a covered parking spot just opened up in front of my unit. This winter it will at least be out of the rain when at home and at work.