Author Topic: Joan Rivers RIP  (Read 3482 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Joan Rivers RIP
« on: September 04, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
Passed today.  RIP Joan, I know I'll miss you.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Joan Rivers RIP
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 09:34:56 PM »
 :( :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:05:48 AM »
I never liked her but RIP Joan.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:58:19 AM »
He brand of humor really appealed to me...she indicated that her funeral should be a massive, televised, plenty of paparazzi, gaudy extravaganza.  Typical Joan Rivers.  I can't wait to see it.  I hope that they honor her wishes.  Made me laugh to hear that which is what she would have wanted.  I put her with the likes of George Carlin.  Not sure if there will ever be another like her.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:29:43 AM »
Yeah, she said she wanted Meryl Streep weeping in 5 different accents.
Joan was 81 yrs old, but her face was only 35.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 07:39:54 AM »
I got to see her in Vegas in the early 80's when I was a Navy recruiter there she was great. "Can we talk?"
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 07:45:16 AM »
She was the female Don Rickles.

And the way she crapped on Carson after all he did for her was low class.

I understand when she passed they wheeled her to the wax museum.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:51:55 AM »
Similar to Rickles with her acid tongue, but also like Rodney Dangerfield with her self deprecating humor. I never liked her in my youth but gained a lot of respect for her in the last ten years with her realistic comments about other actors and society, she told it the way it was and the way she saw it, she took a took of heat for it and never backed down for saying her mind, rare these days of hypersensitivity, hypocritical celebrities and political correctness.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 08:00:58 AM »
She was the female Don Rickles.

And the way she crapped on Carson after all he did for her was low class.

I understand when she passed they wheeled her to the wax museum.

I don't think that she crapped on Carson.  She had an opportunity and she took it...  Play guest host on Carson or have her own show?  If she had no opportunity at NBC for such a thing then I don't blame her for going elsewhere.  Many other performers have done that.  She did call Johnny twice to talk to him about it but it didn't go well, obviously.  I also can understand how Johnny would feel but he was basically in a gig for life until he was pushed out for Leno and then Leno was pushed out for Jimmy.  Show biz is a dog eat dog business and you're at the mercy of the networks.

She was obviously very well preserved by her own admission.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »
I don't think that she crapped on Carson.  She had an opportunity and she took it...  Play guest host on Carson or have her own show?  If she had no opportunity at NBC for such a thing then I don't blame her for going elsewhere.  Many other performers have done that.  She did call Johnny twice to talk to him about it but it didn't go well, obviously.  I also can understand how Johnny would feel but he was basically in a gig for life until he was pushed out for Leno and then Leno was pushed out for Jimmy.  Show biz is a dog eat dog business and you're at the mercy of the networks.

She was obviously very well preserved by her own admission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPqPAKqzx7M&feature=youtu.be&t=14s
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 10:51:33 AM »
The way I remember it was she never told Carson she was starting her own show, it wasn't a matter of her asking him for permission, she was his permanent guest host, it was a matter of respect that she never went to him and told him about her show. After all he did for her it would have been nice and expected of her to go to him privately thank him for all he did for her and tell him an opportunity has come up and she has to take it. it was akin to not telling your employer you are tendering your two weeks notice. Carson found out when everyone else did. Not good business.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
From Mike Rowe's FB page https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe :

It was late September, 1991. I had been fired from QVC a few months earlier, (justifiably,) rehired, (inexplicably,) and banished to the graveyard shift for my sins, (permanently.) There was a nasty flu going around, and most of the prime-time hosts were home puking their guts up. So I was summoned on a rainy Saturday afternoon to fill in for one of the stricken. I was halfway through a riveting hour called “Ideas to Make Your Life Easier,” and reflecting on the troubling trajectory of my career in television, when Joan Rivers walked into the studio.

Joan was spending the entire weekend at QVC, touting her line of clothing and jewelry. I’d never met her, and it was unthinkable that my boss would have ever allowed us on the same stage at the same time. QVC was committed to earnest, heartfelt, G-Rated content. I was not. Which is why I rarely saw the light of day. Joan was scheduled to appear later that evening with a more reputable host, but on her way to the greenroom, she stopped in front of the stage and watched as I explained the mysterious virtues of The Healthteam Infrared Pain Reliever. Then she pulled something out of her giant purse, walked onto the set, and began asking me questions on live TV.

“Oh my God,” she said. “Where did you get that tie?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Your tie,” she said. “It’s awful. Did you steal it from a Lutheran?”

“Actually, I made it myself,” I said. “On a loom in my attic.”

“Well it’s truly hideous,” said Joan. “And what’s up with that suit? You look like an unmade bed.”

“Thanks,” I said. “It helps me sleep on the job. You look positively radiant though, if I may be so bold.”

“Well look a little closer,” she said. “One more facelift and I’ll have a goatee.”

It took me a second, but when the image sunk in, I chortled. I may have even guffawed. Had I worn dentures, I’d have likely spit them across the room.

“You seem like a nice young man. It’s a shame you don’t have any taste. Is there a woman in your life?”

“Several,” I replied. “But none that can compete with your many years of experience.”

Joan laughed and gave me the finger. She then presented me with a “Tie-Button Tie,” a fancy piece of silk with a button-hole in the back that allowed a gentleman to affix the tie to the button on his shirt in a way that - in her words - “might keep it from swinging into the spaghetti sauce the next time I took one of my “special ladies” out for a big night at The Olive Garden.”

She went on to tell me about the various other trinkets and fashion designs that would appear in the following hour. She showed me a simulated diamond set in 14-carat gold and suggested it would be perfect for any of the women in my life. “Remember ladies, fake jewelry doesn’t have to make you look like a slut, even if you are one.”

She also described a stretch jersey in her fashion line as as “a pretty little thing with a nice comfortable lining that won’t get stuck in your ass-crack.”

Joan made me laugh, partly because she was funny, but mostly because I knew my many masters were trembling in fear as they watched from home, thrilled by the fact that millions of people were tuning in to see Joan Rivers, but equally horrified by the prospect of what she might say next. In this way, she became heroic to me.

I didn’t see Joan for the next year and a half. By then, she had become a fixture at QVC, and was well on her way to selling a billion dollars of stuff. Literally - a billion. I on the other hand, was still sequestered away at 3am, hawking products that appeared to have been sourced from the midway of a condemned carnival. But then, I caught a break. QVC and CBS agreed to produce a pilot around Joan, tentatively called “Can We Shop?” Under the terms of the deal, Joan could select any of the QVC Hosts to work with her as a co-host. For reasons I still don’t understand, she picked me.

I can’t express how profoundly surprising this decision was - to me, my fellow QVC hosts, and most of all, to those who had consigned me to the graveyard shift. It was madness to reward a smart-aleck who routinely made fun of the products he was entrusted to sell, but Joan insisted, and the next thing I knew, I was sitting next to her on a soundstage in New York City, doing my very best Ed McMahon impression. Go figure.

In television, like anything else, way leads on to way. You don’t always know the significance of a thing when it happens. But this was different. Appearing on CBS with Joan Rivers was the first thing I did that actually looked legitimate, and I knew I had turned a corner. Sitting there with Joan, cracking wise in a CBS studio in front of a live audience, I finally came to believe that somewhere, a job was waiting for me in television that didn’t involve a 2 am wake-up call.

I left QVC soon after that, and never saw Joan Rivers again. Not in person, anyway. Like the rest of the world, I saw her on the red carpet, and I watched her shenanigans here and there. How could you not? Icons have a way of being everywhere at once. I also watched her documentary a few years ago - A Piece of Work. I wanted to call her after that, and tell her how brave it was to be that forthcoming. I wish that I had.

I remember a holiday party at her penthouse on 5th Avenue. It was a black-tie affair, but I wore one of her Tie-Button Ties, which amused her to no end. I also brought her some cookies. My mother - upon learning that I would be visiting a bone fide celebrity in her actual home - was afraid I might arrive empty-handed, or worse, with a six-pack of Rolling Rock tucked under my arm. So she made a tin of chocolate chip cookies, and told me to give them to Mrs. Rivers with her compliments. Which I did.

I don’t know if she actually ate them, but she accepted them with grace, and placed them next to a menorah. That still makes me laugh.

RIP, Joan.
And thank you, very much.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
I saw an interview with her where she said that she did call Carson to inform him and he slammed the phone down and never talked to her again.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »
 :'( RIP JOAN
REFRESHING sense of honest Humour.