Author Topic: mixing waste oil with home heating oil  (Read 11031 times)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
mixing waste oil with home heating oil
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:57 AM »
Anyone doing this? I have a 275 gal tank and was wondering if I can add a few gallons of filtered waste auto oil without damaging anything. I've seen 100% waste oil mixed with a little acetone used in a home burner without any special tuning to the unit. I don't want to do that. Just want to get some use from my waste oil instead of paying to get rid of it.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: mixing waste oil with home heating oil
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:54:28 AM »
You can't take it to Autozone? They take it for free.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 10:16:56 AM »
I'm not sure I'd want to burn waste oil (filtered how?) in a heating system that's designed for home heating oil...no telling what it would do to it (clog up a nozzle, filter, what have you)....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 01:29:19 PM »
There are additives in motor oil that will cause you some major problems... plus motor oil burns at a higher temp than regular home heating oil.

You need a furnace that is specifically made to burn the stuff... we have a radiator shop in town that I drop my oil off at.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 01:37:18 PM »
Just about any place that sells oil, Walmart, O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc will take up to 5 gallons at a time.

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 04:41:45 PM »
The savings is not worth the risk of screwing up your oil heating system. There are specially designed oil heaters that will burn all kinds of junk oil, but they are different than what you have. If you muck up your system, the repair will cost far more than the few bucks you might save.  YMMV
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:00:44 PM »
Yeah, I really hear you on that.

1) We burn petroleum products to heat our home / domestic hot water and it costs around $3.50 / gallon.
2) We have buckets of petroleum products that we have to go somewhere to actually get ride of.
3) If A=B, and B=C, what can we say about A and C? How long can it be before one wonders if pouring just a [bit, tad, scoosh] of that waste petroluem product into the tank that we have to pay to fill?

Bad idea though 'cause the oil contains fines that really should not go through the oil burner and it is too thick (even well diluted) to push much of it through the filters in the system. And really, if you are going to use little enough of the pit oil to not harm the system, how much can it be worth in real dollars? But I do sympathize and have often considered the same thing.

Now I once heard of a guy who used to start wood fires in a wood burning stove with pit oil. Seems this fellow poured a [tad, bit, dribble, spot, scooche] directly onto the wood pile before setting the whole mess alight. It seemed to work OK but you could hear the oil boiling and finally sizzling really quite loudly once it was engulfed. The smoke was not really bad either. But that fellow went over to a woodstove that uses a catalyst and those durned things just cost too much to plate them with tin from the pit oil :-(

Brian

Anyone doing this? I have a 275 gal tank and was wondering if I can add a few gallons of filtered waste auto oil without damaging anything. I've seen 100% waste oil mixed with a little acetone used in a home burner without any special tuning to the unit. I don't want to do that. Just want to get some use from my waste oil instead of paying to get rid of it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »
I don't understand this heating oil phenomenon  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 09:16:39 PM »
It is the liquid form of the stuff (coal) you run through your power plants to provide electricity for air conditioning so Florida et al., are can reach the approximate conditions necessary for humans to live in if not actually thrive.

;D

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 07:34:27 AM »
It is the liquid form of the stuff (coal) you run through your power plants to provide electricity for air conditioning so Florida et al., are can reach the approximate conditions necessary for humans to live in if not actually thrive.

;D

Brian

OHHHHHH  thanks!   :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Bergmen

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »

Where we live (rural California) there are two options: propane or fuel oil (red diesel). Some of our neighbors are on propane, we have a 500 gallon red diesel tank alongside the house. Both require visits by fuel trucks to replenish (as needed).

Dan