Author Topic: East and Northeast COGgers Check In after the Storm  (Read 11132 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: East and Northeast COGgers Check In after the Storm
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:56 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 10:47:14 AM »
My back yard in between the wind and rain bands.  There is a seewall out there past my light house you can't see.  I live on a tidal river (Occoquan) that is connected to the Chesapeake Bay.  It will probably be real bad tomorrow.  It is usually about a foot below the wall at high tide.

I work for Prince Willaim County government which is the second county south of DC in Virginia.  We are open for business, but no one is here.  Liberal leave is in effect because schools are closed.  Many employees are not here either due to no sitter for the kids.

Be safe out there!
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
Cleveland, OH here. Expecting some wind, gusts to 60mph near Lake Erie shoreline, 11 to 17 ft waves forcast, never seen those before, about 4 inches of rain predicted, lake effect snow maybe for southern OH, almost 2 1/2 inches already, only worried somewhat about power, prepared though with kerosene heaters, radio, batteries, water and some food, will still have natural gas. Actually going out tonight for belated 20th anniversary celebration, worst set for tonight.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:27 PM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2012, 04:21:23 PM »
29.3  Winds are getting stronger.

Offline Maille Man

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
Just got home (Alexandria, VA) from visiting my father up in the York, PA area.  Left at 3:00, home at 6:00.  Rainy drive, uneventful.  No wind gusts to speak of. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2012, 06:51:30 PM »
29.21  Winds about the same...

Offline ssmith

• Concours Owners Group
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2012, 06:56:05 PM »
Lotsa wind....  some rain...  The worst may be past us. Feel fortunate that we still have power.
Steve Smith, COG #3184
Get your own official COG # by joining the Concours Owners Group, the premier sport-touring club for Concours enthusiasts and sport-touring riders.  Click here to learn more about club membership

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2012, 04:01:45 AM »
Us as well....  It seems it was worse in northern VA where the greatest population density is.  Barometer is now rising... 29.32.

We still have power.  One of my wife's friends had a tree limb hole her roof.  Our subdivision is heavily wooded and it's still dark so I don't know the extent of the damage.  I think that Isabel was much worse.  Our winds seemed to stay in the mid-30s.  I don't think we had too many gusts above that but that's just a guess.  I need to invest in a weather station that tracks all this stuff.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2012, 04:42:34 AM »
Us as well....  It seems it was worse in northern VA where the greatest population density is.  Barometer is now rising... 29.32.

We still have power.  One of my wife's friends had a tree limb hole her roof.  Our subdivision is heavily wooded and it's still dark so I don't know the extent of the damage.  I think that Isabel was much worse.  Our winds seemed to stay in the mid-30s.  I don't think we had too many gusts above that but that's just a guess.  I need to invest in a weather station that tracks all this stuff.

Here's the one that I use Jim.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws2080.html
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 06:38:29 AM »
Here's the one that I use Jim.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws2080.html
Heh.  I was just looking at those, too.  Though I like the 2090 better.  A bit more self-contained.  And I might splurge and get the dual-zone one, so I can have two displays.

As for checking in after the storm, here I am.  A whole bunch of hype and not much substance around here.  (Boy, could I make a comparison that would send this to the Arena!)  Dead limbs and some small branches down.  Creeks are within their banks.  Weather is beautiful at the moment, though I'm expecting more rain, but just scattered showers for the moment.  Looks like the real rain is over PA, NJ, WV, VA, MD, DE, etc. for now.  Power didn't even flicker enough to reset my alarm clock.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 07:13:46 AM »
Looks like I lost a tree that my dad and I planted back in '81.  Here are before and after pictures.  Might be salvageable.  Limbs and leaves all over the neighborhood this morning.  I-95 looked wierd on the way to work - no one was on it.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:28 AM »
I've got a really tall evergreen (cedar?) in my backyard that while it has always had a slight lean has me very uneasy as it appears to be leaning more than I'm accustomed to seeing... I'm sitting at the dining room table watching it waiting for it to crack and take out the shed and fence hopefully missing the garage and the house next door. 
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 08:34:20 AM »
Heh.  I was just looking at those, too.  Though I like the 2090 better.  A bit more self-contained.  And I might splurge and get the dual-zone one, so I can have two displays.

As for checking in after the storm, here I am.  A whole bunch of hype and not much substance around here.  (Boy, could I make a comparison that would send this to the Arena!)  Dead limbs and some small branches down.  Creeks are within their banks.  Weather is beautiful at the moment, though I'm expecting more rain, but just scattered showers for the moment.  Looks like the real rain is over PA, NJ, WV, VA, MD, DE, etc. for now.  Power didn't even flicker enough to reset my alarm clock.

Looks like the '80 and the '90 are the same unit except for the sensor array. I like the '80 better because I separated my sensors a bit for better placement.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
Looks like the '80 and the '90 are the same unit except for the sensor array. I like the '80 better because I separated my sensors a bit for better placement.
They are quite similar.  Even the same price.  I want to see a few more reviews, because I saw a few complaints about the temp sensor for the '80.  (That you should purchase the optional solar shield for it to get correct readings, as the included one wasn't sufficient if the sensor was in the sun)  I didn't see anything similar on the '90, but I want to check more before sending my $$. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
They are quite similar.  Even the same price.  I want to see a few more reviews, because I saw a few complaints about the temp sensor for the '80.  (That you should purchase the optional solar shield for it to get correct readings, as the included one wasn't sufficient if the sensor was in the sun)  I didn't see anything similar on the '90, but I want to check more before sending my $$.

Yeah, I did buy the optional solar shield for my '80 because I thought that I would have to install the sensor in a spot where the sun shines. I didn't know at the time that I could mount the sensors separately (as far apart as the wires allow anyway, they're all connected to the transmitter which is housed in the temp sensor/solar shield).

I only have one complaint about the system. I have to clean out the rain sensor from time to time because the darn spiders get inside of it and web up the innards. It's easy to clean 'em out though.

Offline potshotpanda

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
Well in my corner of NH, I just got power back after being out for about 28 hours.   And my generator went TU this AM, so the wife was not a happy camper.   Bands of rain and wind gust up around 50 mph.   No barometer, so no readings.  Power is now back, wife is happy.   All is well that ends well.   

Now on to that Dark and Stormy I've been wanting all day.
Jeff Poston, Fitzwilliam, NH
2006 Concours "Matilda"
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 11:08:43 AM »
Cleveland Ohio, I still have power and phones and water, never went out although everyone around us doesn't have it, 300,000 in NE OH without power, 22 foot waves on Lake Erie shoreline, 50mph sustained winds with gusts to 70mph, lots of trees down, massive shore erosion, snow in Mansfield 100 miles away, lost a few limbs on our big trees, lucky that I have no evergreens and leaves were off oaks and maples, downspouts knocked off house though, some water in basement, about 5-6 inches of rain total storm amount here.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 01:39:40 PM »
Incredible pictures of destruction, some you may have seen, some you haven't.  :o

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2012/10/hurricane_sandy_the_superstorm.html

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »
I've got a really tall evergreen (cedar?) in my backyard that while it has always had a slight lean has me very uneasy as it appears to be leaning more than I'm accustomed to seeing... I'm sitting at the dining room table watching it waiting for it to crack and take out the shed and fence hopefully missing the garage and the house next door.

Dam it to hell it is going to cost me 800 to get that leaning tower of pine out of the backyard....

:banghead: :banghead:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010