Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 890089 times)

Offline DaddyFlip

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2240 on: June 17, 2016, 06:25:55 PM »
Guess I need to either link or publish my oil filter thread here somewhere. Yes, the little stamped nut is a gimmick, but it does work better if you change your filter before two years!  :stirpot: I use a small strap wrench to break the filter loose when needed.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2241 on: June 17, 2016, 07:16:10 PM »
Yes, the little stamped nut is a gimmick,

It might be useful, if they put a REAL nut on the end.  How much would that cost?  $0.10?

but it does work better if you change your filter before two years!  :stirpot:

Well, I use high quality oils and tend to go by mileage only, not time.  I am not sure if when/why/how it gets so ridiculously tight.

I use a small strap wrench to break the filter loose when needed.

My strap wrench did nothing but bend.  It is unreal!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #2242 on: June 17, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »
The REAL nut bought that filter! ;)

FWIW, this Craftsman is the strap wrench I use. The blue handle is 6-inches from teeth to tip, so it fits easily under bike on center stand. No bending; starts filter easily. I've had this set for a long time and they have since changed the design so I can't vouch for the new model.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-piece-16inch-rubber-strap-wrench-set/p-00945570000P
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2243 on: June 18, 2016, 05:44:58 AM »
The REAL nut bought that filter!  ;)

So true

FWIW, this Craftsman is the strap wrench I use. The blue handle is 6-inches from teeth to tip, so it fits easily under bike on center stand. No bending; starts filter easily. I've had this set for a long time and they have since changed the design so I can't vouch for the new model.

My set looks exactly identical to that, although not Craftsman.  I probably should have use the word "bend", a better description would be "give", as in the strap, no matter how tight, would stretch- making it ineffective.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2244 on: June 18, 2016, 07:28:38 AM »
How tight did you put the filter on?  I've never had an issue with the K&N filter but I only do hand tight.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2245 on: June 18, 2016, 07:48:47 AM »
How tight did you put the filter on?  I've never had an issue with the K&N filter but I only do hand tight.

+1 I've been using the K&N filters with the nut attached since my first oil change WAY back in 6/2009 and never had an issue getting the filter off using a socket and ratchet.

What was the problem Max?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2246 on: June 18, 2016, 09:47:08 AM »
Righty tighty, lefty loosey?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2247 on: June 18, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »

I only hand-tighten it, and oil the gasket first; and it is not like I am that strong.  I think I spin it until it resists, and tighten it about 1/2 to 3/4 turn which is about as much as I can, comfortably.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #2248 on: June 18, 2016, 12:06:50 PM »
I had to use this type of filter wrench on my wife's car.  5K miles and way less than 6 months.  Sometimes it just gets tight?  This wrench worked when all the others would not make it budge. K&N filters usually are fine but once in a while?
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/670789_x800.jpg
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2249 on: June 18, 2016, 02:27:44 PM »
I had to use this type of filter wrench on my wife's car.  5K miles and way less than 6 months.  Sometimes it just gets tight?  This wrench worked when all the others would not make it budge. K&N filters usually are fine but once in a while?
https://c1552172.ssl.cf0.rackcdn.com/670789_x800.jpg

That is neat looking.  Not sure it would clear with the C14, though... there is some type of sensor right next to the filter that it might hit.

After a 3 hour solo ride, I finally replaced the license plate bulb (which I noticed was blown, recently).  Dare I say it- I used a plain, boring, incandescent bulb!  Couldn't find a 5W so went with an 8W.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #2250 on: June 18, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »
After a 3 hour solo ride, I finally replaced the license plate bulb (which I noticed was blown, recently).  Dare I say it- I used a plain, boring, incandescent bulb!  Couldn't find a 5W so went with an 8W.

No doubt we need a new project thread for the license plate LED replacement bulb. C'MON JDM ASTAR CATALOG!
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #2251 on: June 19, 2016, 10:52:12 PM »
Finally!!!! My throttle lock has arrived!!! :banana :banana

Pics below....  :chugbeer:
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2252 on: June 22, 2016, 07:13:23 PM »
Installed my Angel Gts. The nomar bar/HF changer combo works fantastic. I need a little more practice putting the tires on but it went pretty well. Waiting on front pads now.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #2253 on: June 22, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »
I installed my JDM astar LED blinkers and flasher relay. Then I reinstalled my Evitek LED headlights and aimed them REALLY low compared to the halogen settings in order to get some decent light out of them. Still evaluating.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #2254 on: June 23, 2016, 06:18:15 AM »
I installed the brake light kit on my new Givi V56 and put the topcase on the bike the bike under the topcase. That thing is huge...
Most surprisingly: the brake lights work!
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2255 on: June 23, 2016, 06:21:49 AM »
They will for awhile at least.  How did you get the bike under the case?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2256 on: June 23, 2016, 06:43:27 AM »
They will for awhile at least.  How did you get the bike under the case?

You could dig a pit and roll the bike under it. Kind of like how the got the bomb under the Enola Gay.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #2257 on: June 23, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »
Or how they got Kim under Kanye.  :yikes:
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2258 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:22 AM »
Or how they got Kim under Kanye.  :yikes:

:rotflmao:

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #2259 on: June 24, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »
I rode it.

To work. This is the first time I've rode it to work in over a year.