Author Topic: Mix n' match tires  (Read 5754 times)

Offline okxd45

Mix n' match tires
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:35 PM »
     Yesterday when leaving work, I got the low tire pressure warning for my rear tire.  A quick check revealed a nail.  Again, thank goodness for the warning, as I have about 25 miles of hwy on the way home!  I purchased the tire and wheel insurance when I bought the bike in February, but the downside is that I get a brand new OEM tire.  I had planned on trying some PR2's.  The front tire probably has about 1000 to 1500 left on it.  Would it be a big deal to put a PR2 on the front with the OEM on the rear, or would it be better to go ahead and get the OEM in the front and replace them both when they wear out?  Thanks for the opinions as I am obviously a newb around here!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Mix n' match tires
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 12:17:33 PM »
I've installed a PR2 rear before keeping the OEM Conti Road Attack front on my Beemer with no issues, but those tires had nearly identical profiles.  I guess try it out and if the handling is squirrely, then replace the other tire.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 12:24:49 PM »
Since I'm not overly fond of the OEM front tire, I'd swap it out now.  For the most part, I am not averse to mixing brands, but I rarely do it.  If anything, I would be more comfortable with an old rear and new front that a new rear and and old front tire combination.

How's that for a wishy-washy answer?
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »
Since I'm not overly fond of the OEM front tire, I'd swap it out now.  For the most part, I am not averse to mixing brands, but I rarely do it.  If anything, I would be more comfortable with an old rear and new front that a new rear and and old front tire combination.

How's that for a wishy-washy answer?

Pretty high on the wishy washy scale! 
     No seriously, I don't have a choice on the back tire and I am on a limited budget, so I need to get all I can out of the front.  Since the front seems to wear out a little quicker with the OEM tires, I figure if I wait around 1500 miles on the front then they both will be worn out at the same time and I can then get the PR2's.  It's just when I do get a front tire (around 1500 miles from now), would a PR2 in the front help stability/handling, etc. with the OEM rear or should I just get the front OEM?  Am I making any sense or does confusion abound in my postings?
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline tyler1015

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:39:46 PM »
I have a PR3 on the front and the battleax on the back. No problems, but cant wait for the back PR3. I was blown away at how it cornered with the new tire in the front.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »
I have mismatched plenty of tires on plenty of bikes with no issue. I am running a pr2 front now with a shinko  raven rear and have a bt023 rear to replace the shinko with in a few weeks.

Offline fisheyes

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
Check with the place doing your tires, i bought the same type of protection you did and had a PR2 put on back when my oem cought a nail at 800 mi, my dealer simply had me pay the difference which isn't much

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 05:53:15 PM »
Go for it!!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rawman

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »
+1

Go for it.  Just watch that front pretty close.  They are known for abnormal wear patterns.  I think you can wait for your next paycheck to replace the front, LOL!
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline okxd45

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »
I would like to check on paying the difference, thanks!  If not, sounds like its no big deal to mix em' up.  Thanks for the opinions and experiences Connie forum folks.  :)
Jeff

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 09:55:38 PM »
I prefer mix & match. The physical demands on front and rear tires are pretty different. One company makes the best rear tire for your bike. Another company probably makes the best front tire for your bike. In my experience it is very rare that the same company makes both.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 10:24:42 PM »
If a person is doign the mix and match, do you suppose the profile differences matter? From the sound of things, not so much....

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
If a person is doign the mix and match, do you suppose the profile differences matter? From the sound of things, not so much....
I have tried a bunch of different combinations over the years and after 300,000+ miles I can't say I can look at a tire profile and predict how it will handle or if it will match up with another tire. To me the Shinko Raven looks like some kind of wide-a$$ chopper profile but it turns in better than a pointy PR2!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline coyoteb

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:59:27 AM »
I do that too,currently michelin front and pirelli rear, not because profile and performance differences,I found them cheap on ebay :),can't see any difference michelin-michelin or pirelli-pirelli,but I don't take it to the track 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 09:16:30 AM »
I have tried a bunch of different combinations over the years and after 300,000+ miles I can't say I can look at a tire profile and predict how it will handle or if it will match up with another tire. To me the Shinko Raven looks like some kind of wide-a$$ chopper profile but it turns in better than a pointy PR2!

I will say that the Raven was similar to the 190/50 PR2 but if you try a 190/55 then you will see what quick turn in, is all about.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
I had to replace my OEM rear because of a nail also.  I put on the Michelin PR2 and rode with the OEM front for a couple of thousand miles.  It didn't make the handling worse or better.  The front was so horrible that when I finally replaced it I discovered how wonderful the PR2 front was compared to the OEM. 

I would say don't worry about mixing two radial tires.  If you had a bias ply on the back with a radial on the front, that would be bad.  I've done that and the handling is not good at all.

Offline okxd45

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
Just got off the phone with the tire and wheel insurance folks, and they said a comprable (sp?) tire would be fine.  Made a quick call to the dealer and they are ordering the PR2 even though they had already ordered the OEM tire.  I hinted that I would need a front tire soon and that I would like to use them if they work with me here.......Yesssssss! 
Jeff

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 01:19:55 PM »
I have a Pirelli Angel ST on the Rear and a Pirelli Diablo Strada on the front.  My rear was shot but the front was in really good shape and I couldn't see trashing it.  The dealer "recommended" that I replace both because I shouldn't mismatch the tires.  I declined.  I understand that they are trying to make a sale but.....no.  I have had no issues whatsoever in over 1000 miles.  I don't think my mismatch is too far off since they are from the same manufacturer.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »
I have a Pirelli Angel ST on the Rear and a Pirelli Diablo Strada on the front.  My rear was shot but the front was in really good shape and I couldn't see trashing it.  The dealer "recommended" that I replace both because I shouldn't mismatch the tires.  I declined.  I understand that they are trying to make a sale but.....no.  I have had no issues whatsoever in over 1000 miles.  I don't think my mismatch is too far off since they are from the same manufacturer.

That bolded assumption is very risky.  Tread compound, tire type, speed rating, profile, etc can vary just as widely in tires produced by a single manufacturer as in different brands.

In general, I would go stickier front rather than stickier rear, if there were to be a mismatch.  FWIW, IIRC the devil is a stickier tire than the angel, so you s/b fine.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 04:33:38 PM »
I replaced my rear tire first with a PR2 and then the front several months and a couple thousand miles later (also with a PR2). No problems during the mismatch period. I honestly don't ever worry about it unless it's a severe mismatch like one high-mileage road tire and one super sticky track tire.