Author Topic: Plugging and Patching Tires...former Boy Scout redeems himself.  (Read 11296 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Former Boy Scout disgraces motorcycling community...
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »

and then rub some road silt/sand on it to prevent from sticking to the road surface, until the heat of the tire vulcanizes it to the tire casing.
That's what coach always said when we we had a bleeding elbow or something-"just rub some dirt on it"
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2011, 09:18:10 AM »
What is this "glue" some people speak of when installing the sticky ropes. I've bought and used several plug kits in my life & none of them ever came with any kind of glue, therefore I never used any, & I've never had a sticky rope plug fail. Just wondering if I'm missing something. :o
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline 2001concours

• 2001concours website
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 04:20:49 PM »
I have plugged several tires in my life. Always the rear tire. The only time the tire strings fail is if the hole in the tire is a cut or tear verse a puncture. Still works to get you home.

I have personally ridden plugged tires an additional 5000 miles without failure. Just check your tire pressure on a regular basis. I have SmarTire tire pressure sensors on both my bikes.
2001 Concours with 90k miles, heavily modified.
Lots of how to images on my webshots folders
http://community.webshots.com/user/2001concours

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2011, 04:36:30 PM »
Every rear tire I've ever had has had to be plugged (yep, the one I have now has a plug in it). And as someone said earlier, it is usually with more than half the tire life left. >:( A few years ago, I had a tire with three plugs in it. Motorcycle rear tires are nail magnets.

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »
You could have just posted to this thread from June 10 through today:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1590.0   Plus your thread subject isn't very relevant to the thread.  In any case:

* You did the right thing not using "fix a flat"- that stuff might ruin the TPS and is generally a mess!
* I probably would never trust a plugged tire to remain plugged or to be safe.
* You don't have to buy a new tire, just get the one you have properly (internally) patched...
* Of course, replace the tire anyway if it is already old/worn, since patching will cost money too...
Thanks for the critical analysis and informed advice! 

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 06:13:49 PM »
i always end up replacing the plugged tire at first opportunity. 

On my bike,I try but cant seem to forget im riding on that stupid plug. I'll plug a car and forget about it and they usually hold.

I need a clear head when i ride my motorcycle. The bike HAS to be 100%

That is my fear exactly - I can't ever forget the plug. But when I replace tires, I somehow feel safe :)

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 06:15:56 PM »
Personally, I'd have more faith in a rope plug than an internal patch.  With TPS and a re-balance, the tire should live a long and productive life.  If you want, pm me & I'll pay for shipping if you want to send it to me.  :)

WOW! what an offer! You make it difficult to believe in the conventional wisdom. Thanks :)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 06:29:57 PM »
Thanks for the critical analysis and informed advice!

Well, I am beginning to think my advice was not all that great, given how many postings seem to never have any problems at all riding for very long times with plugs.  I am kinda surprised!  But- that is how we learn, by sharing info.  Gotta love the forums.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 07:13:29 PM »
What is this "glue" some people speak of when installing the sticky ropes. I've bought and used several plug kits in my life & none of them ever came with any kind of glue, therefore I never used any, & I've never had a sticky rope plug fail. Just wondering if I'm missing something. :o

The plug kits I have bought come with a small tube of "lubricant", that allows insertion of the plug without it sticking on the way in.  Once it evaporates / dries, then the glue on the plug can stick to the tire and seal.

I only use half a plug (cut them in half, then fold in half before insertion), since it doesn't need all that extra rope inside the tire or cutting off all the excess and throwing it away.  It does take a little practice and self control during insertion though, so you don't push it all the way through.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
I've only had 1 flat tire in 10 years, but all of this talk has gotten me thinking - especially now that I have a bike with a little extra storage.  I just picked up a rope plug kit and mini-pump that I plan on bringing with on all of my trips for now on.  Hopefully this ounce of prevention will keep me flat free for the next 10  8)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
I've only had 1 flat tire in 10 years....

I think you should play the Lotto.

I wish I had your luck! I had a bolt go through my rear tire on the initial ride home from the dealership, only 40 total miles on the tire  :(.
To add insult to injury, I was such a newb' that I insisted on getting the same exact tire (Bridgestone BT021) to replace it. (would have been a good time to upgrade)
When I saw the size of the bolt head, I was sure it must be a sharp pointed lag bolt. Nope, turns out I managed to force a 5/16 flat ended
machine bolt right through the tire. It made that hollow POP sound that you sometimes get when you shoot a rock out and I was hoping...but no, it
followed that with a metallic "tic tic tic" as the bolt head hit the pavement on subsequent rotations. The only good luck I had was that it happened only 1
and a half blocks from my house, and I was able to get it in the garage and up on the center stand before it went totally flat. I keep the bolt in my tool kit
in an illogical attempt to ward off future punctures. I also carry tire plugs and a Slime air compressor. :)

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 09:14:50 AM »
I trust the rope plugs all the time.  Have not yet had to plug my bike tires, but my car... the last set of tires I replaced had a plug in 3 of the 4 tires and the oldest of those plugs had about 35,000 miles on it.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »
Just got a flat rear earlier this week.  I guess it all depends on circumstance but my 21's look good still.  The rear sensor was never activated during prodution so I never got any warning.  I am takiing the opportunity to purchase some better tires and get the numbers off the rear sensor so that it can be activated.  Otherwise based on what I have read here I may have just ridden it out with a proper working TPMS system. 

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 07:42:56 PM »
I have some kind of nail in the rear tire, but it's been there for about 1000 miles now and there's no loss of tire pressure, so I'm just leaving it alone.

Bad idea?

I have all the repair equipment ready in a side case, although I'm not sure I know how to use it.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
I have some kind of nail in the rear tire, but it's been there for about 1000 miles now and there's no loss of tire pressure, so I'm just leaving it alone.

Bad idea?

I have all the repair equipment ready in a side case, although I'm not sure I know how to use it.

I say pull it.  If it hasn't made it all the way through yet, it will.  If it has, then it's so much easier to fix it in the comfort of your garage, or time and place of your choosing, where you can wash up after your done, instead of somewhere on the side of the road, with cars whizzing by, in a sudden cloud burst, that starts dropping hail on your head.

OK, maybe the last part was a little too dramatic, but there's this law by this guy named Murphy, and it's always true.  ;)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 10:08:09 PM »
OK, maybe the last part was a little too dramatic, but there's this law by this guy named Murphy, and it's always true.  ;)

What's that law?  Buy from Murph all the time?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
What's that law?  Buy from Murph all the time?

:rotflmao:   :thumbs:   :goodpost:

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »

Bad idea?

I would give one word of caution. If you're going to use a sticky snake plug, you really need to see the angle that nail comes out. It's not always straight in and I have seen a repair failure because the guy tried to rasp the hole straight in and it turned out the nail went in at an angle. It can also be harder to get that nail out after the head is worn off, but since you've already been 1000 miles, I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

I would repair it in the comfort of my garage instead of the side of the road.

Offline Sea Level

Re: Plugging and Patching Tires...former Boy Scout redeems himself.
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »
I don't have a garage. Or a shed. Or even a level parking spot. My house is on the beach and built on stilts. On the property, at it's highest point, where it rarely floods, I have a platform upon which the bike sits.

But y'all point is taken, and maybe I'll bring it in to have done by a professional while it still is holding pressure.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
I would give one word of caution. If you're going to use a sticky snake plug, you really need to see the angle that nail comes out. It's not always straight in and I have seen a repair failure because the guy tried to rasp the hole straight in and it turned out the nail went in at an angle. It can also be harder to get that nail out after the head is worn off, but since you've already been 1000 miles, I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

I would repair it in the comfort of my garage instead of the side of the road.

That's true, but that falls in the category of "botched repairs."