Author Topic: Want to paint my 92, what to use?  (Read 1920 times)

Offline sgilbert14

Want to paint my 92, what to use?
« on: January 19, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »
I am going to give my 92 a new coat of paint and am looking for what I should be using???

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Want to paint my 92, what to use?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »
I am going to give my 92 a new coat of paint and am looking for what I should be using???

Kawi green    8) :chugbeer:

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going to keep it black with red. I just don't have a clue as to the type of paint to use. I have done cbase + clear but with all the flexible stuff ???? I have 2 months before I do the job but getting ideas

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »
rattle can semi-flat black for the win
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »
The paint on the 92 is almost bulletproof....it is 2 shot base coat, and the stripes are applied tape, and the whole tank has a very thick clearcoat over it.
When I built COGZilla, I used parts from various year bikes, some with the stripes. It was a royal p.i.t.a. to cut thru the clear, down to base, and remove that tape, before re-painting.

If you like the black/red schema (personally it is my second favorite color scheme of all...), I would consider simply doing a careful wet sanding of all the parts, and shoot it over again with a good urethane clear coat. if the black is unscratched and in tact, it will come out great, and the added clear will give it depth.....
j.m.h.o.

from someone that has repainted a Conni, I will warn you it is a LOT of work to prep those parts..... you're fingers will be shot. :'(

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sgilbert14

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »
That sounds great. My scratches are in the clear and I love the black/red... now all I have to do is paint my bags and the GIVI case to match... plus maybe a bit of air brush??