Author Topic: tires, windshield, and tire pressure sensor  (Read 2767 times)

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
tires, windshield, and tire pressure sensor
« on: August 17, 2011, 07:14:36 PM »
First things first … just got back from my 1st ride on the new 1400. WOW!!! What a great time. Used a baker motorcycle map and had a buddy from SLC meet me in Boise.  I came from Hood River, Oregon.
We looked at the maps and plan the Most Twisted ;+} route from Boise to Glacier then back down, tons of fun.
My bud has a multistrada. You can see the sport in his sport during bike. BUT in the big sweeper Connie left him in the dust.
So for starters…..
Now with about 3500 miles my front tire is just about bald. The crown is still good in the center but the sides are smooooooooth. So I guess the stock tires are for touring ,NOT laying it down a little. The back tire is fine. Any suggestions on what to do on the front?  I have really liked Michele Pilots in the past. Got 10 k + on my bandit front tire using a pilot.
Then the black plastic cover bracket on the front of the windshield exploded. What a piece of junk. COME ON KAWASKIA make it solid plastic it would cost maybe a penny more. It’s a hollow piece of junk, and really does nothing to distribute the load of the windshield. Thank God for the hardware store in Ketchum and CB's motorcyle repairs.
And finally the air pressure sensor and read out system died. The back reads blank and the front reads low, but when ck’ed  its fine with a manual gauge.

In any event the bike was fun and rode great, now I just have to get the seat about 1 inch higher for my long legs and it will be dialed. WELL….after the dealer does the cleanup work, and I guess I pay for a  new front tire that lasts more than 3500 miles.
 That’s all the news worth reporting from Hood River, Oregon
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B

Offline jjsC6

Re: tires, windshield, and tire pressure sensor
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 07:25:59 PM »
I've been running Michelin PR2's and really like them.  I just switched to a 190/55 (instead of '50) and will never go back.  I love that tire.

I've had my windshield bracket on and off the bike many times and have never had an issue with it. 

What year is your bike?  If it's a leftover and and sat for a while, you have a battery problem with the tire pressure sensor.  But what is odd is that you say it reads blank.  I've never heard of that.  You should be getting a warning message.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:24:20 PM »
When the front TPMS on my 09 went out it was just showed dots---  No warning sign, the battery in those units have a 5 year guarantee. since it will be replaced under warranty and they have to remove the tire to do it you should get free labor on your front tire install. My front only lasted 3500 miles, I replace the rear at 5500 miles, it could have gone a couple thousand more but I was going on a trip and didn't want to chance it. I replaced mine with the Bridgestone 023, great handling and looks like I should get at least 10,000 miles from the front, the rear still looks new.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:32 PM »
When the front TPMS on my 09 went out it was just showed dots---  No warning sign, the battery in those units have a 5 year guarantee. since it will be replaced under warranty and they have to remove the tire to do it you should get free labor on your front tire install. My front only lasted 3500 miles, I replace the rear at 5500 miles, it could have gone a couple thousand more but I was going on a trip and didn't want to chance it. I replaced mine with the Bridgestone 023, great handling and looks like I should get at least 10,000 miles from the front, the rear still looks new.

You're the first person I've heard that went with a replacement Bridgestone. I was thinking about getting the 023 when the time comes, but with all the bad talk about the OEM 021, I am a little leary.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 06:44:31 AM »
I'm also on the BT 023. 3500 miles so far, like new! Much, much better than the stock 021.
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 07:28:31 PM »
I have 2 friends running them, one on a BMW 1300GT and the other on a Honda ST1300, both of them love the tires, I don't what kind of mileage the BMW rider is getting but I do know the ST1300 has 12,000 on the front now and not at the wear bars yet.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline CB Schmaltz

• FLY RIDE SKI SAIL
    • www.BuyNWProperty.com
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 10:52:15 PM »
PR2 is my choice
Bridgestone Marketing says 30% more on 023 than a 021 thats only 5k
if I got 3500 on the 021
So.................. went to PR2 got 10k pluss on the Bandit1200 loaded for touring
time will tell
hope all is well
CB Schmaltz, Hood River, Or
503 806 1525
Connie 14, &  KLR best 2 bikes in the world.
Others in the stalls, VROD, WR250r,  Shadow Spirt, Versys 650, CRF250l, Vsrtom , 75 Z1B