Author Topic: Front and rear wheel removal procedure...  (Read 23828 times)

Offline calired67

Re: Front and rear wheel removal procedure...
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2014, 10:53:35 AM »
I am trying to remove the front wheel. When i turn te axle it just turns on both sides but does not come out. What am i doing wrong

Offline jwh20

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 12:25:55 PM »
I am trying to remove the front wheel. When i turn te axle it just turns on both sides but does not come out. What am i doing wrong

Two approaches:

1) If you have two hex bits to fit, use one to hold and the other to turn.

2) Most just leave the pinch bolts tight on one side and unbolt the other side of the axle.  The loosen the pinch bolts.  As I recall the head is on the RH side and the "bolt" part is on the LH side but either way it will work.

Sometimes the two pieces get really tight.  I had to use an impact wrench on mine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »
Two approaches:

2) Most just leave the pinch bolts tight on one side and unbolt the other side of the axle.  The loosen the pinch bolts.  As I recall the head is on the RH side and the "bolt" part is on the LH side but either way it will work.

Sometimes the two pieces get really tight.  I had to use an impact wrench on mine.

^^^^werd
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »
The nut is on the left side and the axle installs from the right. You are correct in that you can leave the pinch bolts on either side tight and remove the 'other' side but if the nut is removed, the axle will still be in place and those pinch bolts will have to be loosened to also remove the axle. Put another way, it does matter which side you loosen: loosen the right side pinch bolts, unscrew the axle from the right hand side of the bike and you can leave the nut installed in the fork. So you can loosen the pinch bolts on one side only but only if it is the right side loosened.

For whatever it is worth, I would not use an impact wrench on any part of the chassis containing bearings. I understand the poster quoted here was referencing loosening the axle that way but still, there is a lot of.... well, impact when using an impact wrench. :-)  I would suggest a breaker bar instead.

Brian

Two approaches:

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

sailor_chic

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 06:09:54 PM »
Is that the right side as you are sitting on the bike?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »
Right and Left are as you sit on the bike.  Your right is the throttle side.  The left would be the clutch side.  References to right and left come from your sitting position.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
The nut is on the left side and the axle installs from the right. You are correct in that you can leave the pinch bolts on either side tight and remove the 'other' side but if the nut is removed, the axle will still be in place and those pinch bolts will have to be loosened to also remove the axle. Put another way, it does matter which side you loosen: loosen the right side pinch bolts, unscrew the axle from the right hand side of the bike and you can leave the nut installed in the fork. So you can loosen the pinch bolts on one side only but only if it is the right side loosened.

For whatever it is worth, I would not use an impact wrench on any part of the chassis containing bearings. I understand the poster quoted here was referencing loosening the axle that way but still, there is a lot of.... well, impact when using an impact wrench. :-)  I would suggest a breaker bar instead.

Brian

Yes, I agree to a point but there are times when it saves the day.  I had already been wrenching with a breaker bar and rather than turning the soft aluminum of the axle nut was just giving way against the cold hard steel of my hex bit.  I decided to try to use the impact rather than rounding out the inside and having to cut it out.  The impact took it right off and I could see that it was corroded.  So I replaced it.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »
Right and left as it applies to the vehicle's normal or predominant direction of travel. That goes for all vehicles, all of the time. It also applies to beasts of burden, homo sapiens sapiens, turtles, birds, etc., etc.

Sorry- a sore spot of mine: people confuse which side of the car is which and that should simply not be possible. No matter which side a car is driven from (right hand drive as is used in England, left hand drive as is used in the US), the left is always the left.

OFFTOPIC: the only one that is the least bit confusing that I know of is a backhoe because it has two normal modes of operation, one is being driven and the other is using the hoe to dig. So, all parts associated with the tractor are 'handed' via traveling with the front wheels forward, all parts of the backhoe and its operation are 'handed' via the digging position, which is opposite. So moving the boom on a backhoe to the right will move it behind the left wheels :-)

Brian

Is that the right side as you are sitting on the bike?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 07:41:46 PM »
Yep, whatever works for you works for me. I was merely making a suggestion to others and I will repeat it: I would suggest not using an impact wrench on any parts that are bearing mounted, including both axles.

As far as rounding the nut, the easiest way I can think of to avoid that would be to leave the nut clamped in the fork end and unscrew the (steel) axle. The hex will not round before the axle unscrews or the wall of the axle tubing shears so either way, it will come out.  ;)

Brian

Yes, I agree to a point but there are times when it saves the day.  I had already been wrenching with a breaker bar and rather than turning the soft aluminum of the axle nut was just giving way against the cold hard steel of my hex bit.  I decided to try to use the impact rather than rounding out the inside and having to cut it out.  The impact took it right off and I could see that it was corroded.  So I replaced it.

sailor_chic

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 09:42:14 PM »
Right and left as it applies to the vehicle's normal or predominant direction of travel. That goes for all vehicles, all of the time. It also applies to beasts of burden, homo sapiens sapiens, turtles, birds, etc., etc.

This is another reason why I like the nautical industry. There is absolutely no way to confuse this issue when one side is port and the other starboard. Domestically or internationally, its universal.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »
Yep, that makes sense. But the great news is that it also applies to all vehicles, on land, water or air too. Where most people get confused is the starboard / right / green thingy. Easy to remember way is that all the short words go together: Port, left, red. The Red light is on the left side or the port side. Seems so simple and yet the third mate on the Stockholm managed to misunderstand that (and the range) sufficiently to send the Andrea Doria to the bottom.

On the C-14, the axle screws in from the right while the nut is on the left (clutch side). So leave the nut pinch bolts alone, loosen the axle pinch bolts and the axle can not only be unscrewed but also removed out the right side. The nut really never needs to be removed for any normal kind of maintenance.

Brian

This is another reason why I like the nautical industry. There is absolutely no way to confuse this issue when one side is port and the other starboard. Domestically or internationally, its universal.

sailor_chic

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2014, 07:52:18 AM »
Thanks for the info Brian.

I do agree with you about people getting port and stbd confused.  It's comparable to 24 hr time. That confuses many also.
The Andrea Doria, the Mt. EVEREST of scuba diving. That was once on my bucket list, but is now far out of reach.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2014, 08:15:26 AM »
That brings back memories.  It instantly brought back to me a picture of Captain Calamai that I saw in a magazine many years ago.  It wasn't flattering and for some reason I can't find it on the web.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
WAY OFFTOPIC: just to respond to Jim but I think I will start a thread about that incident in the open forum.....

That accident ruined both his career as well as his life. And he WAS NOT AT FAULT but that was the findings of the inquires into the incident. He spend the rest of his life depressed, in seclusion and did not live long. Very sad turn of events for the gentleman.

And who knows- maybe he had a motorcycle at home with a stuck front axle as well.... oh, the humanity. (see how I walked us all the way back to sorta' on topic subtly there?)

Brian

That brings back memories.  It instantly brought back to me a picture of Captain Calamai that I saw in a magazine many years ago.  It wasn't flattering and for some reason I can't find it on the web.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »
Yes, the time thingy- in Europe, at least the places I have been or done business with, there is only one 7:00 O'clock per day! A better system I think.

My brother was invited to dive on the Andrea Doria back in the late 80's. For various reasons he did not go. One of the party did die after the assent though which is typical for such a deep, free- dive unfortunately.

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian.

I do agree with you about people getting port and stbd confused.  It's comparable to 24 hr time. That confuses many also.
The Andrea Doria, the Mt. EVEREST of scuba diving. That was once on my bucket list, but is now far out of reach.

sailor_chic

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »
Yes, the time thingy- in Europe, at least the places I have been or done business with, there is only one 7:00 O'clock per day! A better system I think.

My brother was invited to dive on the Andrea Doria back in the late 80's. For various reasons he did not go. One of the party did die after the assent though which is typical for such a deep, free- dive unfortunately.

Brian

A dive on that boat is not for the inexperienced. Many have died on those dives.  I was very close to being ready to undertake such an endeavor. But for some reason, after my move to Florida, I let my enthusiasm for diving fade.

Offline calired67

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
I have tried all those things and none of them worked. What are my options for making it come off

Offline jwh20

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2014, 05:05:21 AM »
I have tried all those things and none of them worked. What are my options for making it come off

Perhaps it would help if you posted some specifics of what you did and what is the current situation.  Photos might help.  But if you've done the things suggested, either the axle would be loosened, the lands would be totally rounded out, or the axle would be broken.

If it is still just turning, then you need to tighten up the pinch bolts on the one side so it doesn't turn.  If you can't tighten it enough then there is a problem with your technique or the axle.

Worst case scenario?  The threads are corrosion-welded together.  Have you tried penetrating oil?   If so, the only other suggestion I have is to cut through the spacer and the axle with a hacksaw or a Sawzall-type saw. That should allow you to pull the pieces out each side and remove the wheel.  Of course you'll need to replace the axle but if it's that frozen, you'll want to replace it anyway.

I still think you'll have success with TWO 22mm HEX bits (I suggest 1/2" drive) and TWO breaker bars.  I know it sounds silly but be SURE you are applying torque in the proper direction.  If needed, get an assistant to hold one of the breaker bars while you work the other one.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2014, 06:20:25 AM »
I use this with the appropriate end to fit into the axle..  Note that you can always add a pipe to increase the length and leverage.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2014, 07:35:32 AM »
Note that you can always add a pipe to increase the length and leverage.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc