Author Topic: 220 HP out of 690cc  (Read 546 times)

Offline Cuda

Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline connie_rider

Re: 220 HP out of 690cc
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 08:56:12 PM »
Back when the Indy Teams wanted to go to Wankels, there was a disagreement to the displacement of a rotary engine.
The guys with piston engines wanted to calculate the displacement 1 way, the guys that wanted Wankels calculated another.
In the end, the Piston guys won and so we didn't have Wankel/Indy cars.

I have to wonder if this will be the case with the motorcycles?
If not, I can see 1000cc Moto GB bikes in the future making 400+  HP.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
Re: 220 HP out of 690cc
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 04:47:30 AM »
Wankel as an engine design is interesting if you only look at the headline figures such as power output vs "capacity" or power output vs size.
They are generally smaller than an equivalent power output piston engine but are also much less reliable and have a limited running life if abused.
So, if you need a lightweight, powerful, small engine, but are happy to do engine rebuilds every 40-50k miles, then a Wankel is good.
In practical terms they never really took off due to the maintenance costs and poor fuel economy.

I've ridden 2 Wankel bikes, a Van Veen OCR and a Norton Commander and whilst the power was good, it wasn't that good, and the complete lack of any engine braking whatsoever is seriously unnerving. I'd love to try a more modern Wankel but hardly anyone is developing them, especially now that electric cars are destroying them in power output vs size/weight terms (not including batteries or fuel tanks).

You can get 220bhp out of a 690cc piston engine if you turbo charge it and let it rev to 20,000rpm (pneumatic valves?) but that won't be very reliable either. :-)

A friend has an RX-7 Twin Turbo and it's a rocket ship of a car but that's because is puts out 240bhp in a 2900lb car.
It averages 22MpgUS and has so far needed 2 rebuilds for new rotor tips. It has done 82k miles.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK