Author Topic: Ebola victim in the U.S.  (Read 27449 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Ebola victim in the U.S.
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »
We'll see where this goes.  He should never have been let into the country.  Anybody traveling from that part of the world should be stopped from entering our borders but it's a bit late now.

Only caught it in passing but I thought I heard that he was indeed questioned and had temp taken at some international airport; as part of routine he answered the questions asked of him and had no fever so unless they start a 21 day quarantine on anyone and everyone coming out of one of the known countries there is no way to know....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2014, 06:33:58 PM »
Something like 13000 active US visa holders in west Africa. Passports...belief of cure in America....no working quarantine protocol for entering this country.....We live in interesting times.

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2014, 07:15:02 PM »
Exactly- there is no way to stop incoming diseases / conditions without the use of non- negotiable quarantine. Even then, the incubation period of some diseases is long enough that quarantine would not be practical (assuming it would be even for one full day (24 hours), which I doubt would be nearly long enough to be useful).

England does not have rabies on the island and they are anxious to avoid it- wisely so IMO. Try getting a dog into the UK- automatic quarantine with few, if any, work- arounds (random dogs being brought into the UK as pets). And the quarantine is fairly long for rabies at 21 days, where would '21 days worth' of people entering the UK go? Who would pay for that?

1.19 billion (yep, billion) tourists visited the US in 2005 alone. How many of them would visit if there was a 10 day or longer quarantine?

And as far as restricting people from entering from a particular point of origin, that would be far easier.... when it worked. If I am not mistaken, I believe the guy referenced in the Reuters article traveled through Europe to get here.

Brian

Only caught it in passing but I thought I heard that he was indeed questioned and had temp taken at some international airport; as part of routine he answered the questions asked of him and had no fever so unless they start a 21 day quarantine on anyone and everyone coming out of one of the known countries there is no way to know....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2014, 07:47:51 PM »
We'll see where this goes.  He should never have been let into the country.  Anybody traveling from that part of the world should be stopped from entering our borders but it's a bit late now.

+1

Liberia is going to prosecute him when he returns according to the news. He lied and said he hadn;t come in contact with anyone with the Ebola.

(like he'll ever return!)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2014, 04:37:55 AM »
I think that he knew he was going to get it and wanted to come here for treatment.  Can't really blame him for that, but his family is now quarantined and under house arrest, effectively.  What about that apartment?  It's sure to be infected with it and what happens to the waste water that goes into sewage treatment?  Does it carry the disease?

Just heard one of the film crew from NBC that was over there came down with it.  They're on the way back here.  Yet another chance to spread it over here.  I'm not happy about this whole thing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2014, 04:49:47 AM »
A big problem for me is that something like ebola will become the suicide vest of the near future.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2014, 05:07:22 AM »
Could very well be...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2014, 06:45:51 AM »
A big problem for me is that something like ebola will become the suicide vest of the near future.

^^^^^^^Many are surprised it hasn't been already
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:37 AM »
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
I was thirty years or more figuring that out. I would never believe anyone or worse, everyone could be so stupid as to cause [put bad behavior here]. But it really is true- stupidity and its much more powerful cousin, apathy, can and has caused far more damage than the most evil of humans.

Back to the Ebola thing- I still do not believe it can become an epidemic in the US but we sure can suffer some spots of growth. I think this is going to turn out like 9-11 did; the actual and outright cost is minimal compared to the ongoing cost of trying to prevent / reduce the next similar event. And who knows, this may cause social changes we cannot even see coming: what if as a general group, we become wary of forming groups due to the possibility of spreading disease(s)? I wonder what that is going to look like in 10, 20 years?

Brian

Bunk - I say.   Never attribute to planned malevolence what can be attributed to nature or personal greed.

Jamie
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2014, 10:41:27 AM »
I was thirty years or more figuring that out. I would never believe anyone or worse, everyone could be so stupid as to cause [put bad behavior here]. But it really is true- stupidity and its much more powerful cousin, apathy, can and has caused far more damage than the most evil of humans.

Back to the Ebola thing- I still do not believe it can become an epidemic in the US but we sure can suffer some spots of growth. I think this is going to turn out like 9-11 did; the actual and outright cost is minimal compared to the ongoing cost of trying to prevent / reduce the next similar event. And who knows, this may cause social changes we cannot even see coming: what if as a general group, we become wary of forming groups due to the possibility of spreading disease(s)? I wonder what that is going to look like in 10, 20 years?

Brian

Everyone will only meet virtually such as FB or this place.

Offline Clark Kent

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2014, 11:00:56 AM »
Pushing head deeper into the sand with hands over my ears and yelling nonsense...

Finally!  We now know what VirginiaJim looks like!   

Where is the Sword now?  :chugbeer:

It ok now!  Rush just said (and I agree 110%) there is a man in Howard Univ. Hosp. in Washington DC! that is being tested for Ebola.  If he has it, it will get 10 billion dollars thrown at it in 2 day.  When the  :hitfan: anywhere near Congress, they get on it right away!  So we are all probably ok now.  Thanks to the guy in Howard U. Hospital!   :yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it.  "SHANE"

Offline rocknrod

• 2013 C14 - Blue
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2014, 11:07:16 AM »
He's looking for it, cause he knows you hid it while he was taking a nap.
Master Chief, US Navy, Retired
2013 C14 Blue, Fenda Extenda, Radiator Screen, HeliBars, Glove Box Mod, 3M paint Protector, Rostra Cruise Control, TechSpec Tank Grips, Lowering Links and Side Stand, Front lowered, Lowered center stand, Balwin Seat.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2014, 12:12:24 PM »
Everyone will only meet virtually such as FB or this place.

Hmmm....

I've caught a pretty nasty farkling bug since joining up here....     ;D

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2014, 12:32:21 PM »
He's looking for it, cause he knows you hid it while he was taking a nap.

No way.
The guy with the sword never sleeps. So I'm told, anyways. Sometimes it appears he's napping, but he's just letting us make fools of ourselves.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
Yeah but that is not a disease or 'bug' but rather a disorder. And there is no amount of isolation that will fix that one.... Let's face it, if we were stranded on a desert island, we would probably spell out "Need new grip covers" on the beach for passing plane to spot it. Pathetic but true.

Brian

Hmmm....

I've caught a pretty nasty farkling bug since joining up here....     ;D

Jamie

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2014, 06:29:58 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/05/us-health-ebola-usa-patient-idUSKCN0HT0MZ20141005
I'm sure most of you have seen this already.
Some kind sole has offered up his private residence for the victims exposed to Thomas Eric Duncan.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2014, 04:34:00 AM »
All right Gentleman, this whole dog and pony show has reached a new level of bad. It appears that those in charge of the fedgov are at best criminally negligent or quite possibly criminally insane. Is this gov trying to deliberately spread disease and panic?

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »
All right Gentleman, this whole dog and pony show has reached a new level of bad. It appears that those in charge of the fedgov are at best criminally negligent or quite possibly criminally insane. Is this gov trying to deliberately spread disease and panic?
One never knows, but wouldn't put it past any of our governments nowadays. The super rich rule the planet.....they be the PHARMACEUTICAL (who wouldn't stand to make any profit from this, haven't cured anything since Polio), oil and food corporations who all are in cahoots'! Just a conspiracy theory:(
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire