Author Topic: Police LASAR question  (Read 10473 times)

Offline jwolffie

Police LASAR question
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:52:43 PM »
It seems that most of the police around here now use LASAR instead of RADAR to issue speeding tickets rendering a detector mostly useless. I now have a black bike, jacket, and helmet and I started running with headlight covers coated with Veil anti-lasar paint. Judging by the lack of speeding ticket and length of time they kept the unit pointed at me I am not detectable over about 50 feet away, I was really, really close when it finally locked on. I really don't like the headlight covers though and was thinking of changing the headlights to HID projectors and blacking out everything else inside the headlights. My question is how well do the LASAR units lock onto projector style HID headlights? I know they have better reflectors but I am not sure what the lens will do to the lasar beam as far as being reflected back, also the reflector is smaller at 2.5 inches. Any LEO's care to chip in?
Black 2011
Full Delkevic no cat, Ivan's Flash, Projector headlights, Dunlop Q3+
Valentine 1 with JBV1 on phone

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Police LASAR question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »
It seems that most of the police around here now use LASAR instead of RADAR to issue speeding tickets rendering a detector mostly useless. I now have a black bike, jacket, and helmet and I started running with headlight covers coated with Veil anti-lasar paint. Judging by the lack of speeding ticket and length of time they kept the unit pointed at me I am not detectable over about 50 feet away, I was really, really close when it finally locked on. I really don't like the headlight covers though and was thinking of changing the headlights to HID projectors and blacking out everything else inside the headlights.

It is "LASER" not "LASAR"...
It is true that the smaller the object's front/back profile and the less reflective the font/back of the object is, the more difficulty the operator will have hitting it, locking on, and getting a valid reading.  It is actually not much different with RADAR, just the type of reflectivity involved.  From behind, their best target on a dark motorcycle will be your license plate... any alteration of that would be illegal (masking, coatings, covers, etc).

My question is how well do the LASAR units lock onto projector style HID headlights? I know they have better reflectors but I am not sure what the lens will do to the lasar beam as far as being reflected back, also the reflector is smaller at 2.5 inches.

Real HID headlights are almost always projectors and have very little in the way of reflectors and would not be as usable for bouncing laser light back to a sender due to the thick lens, bright light, and tiny profile.  Aftermarket replacement of just the Xenon bulbs with HID bulbs on a Concours will change nothing, and you can't alter the reflector or they will become useless.

Any LEO's care to chip in?

It is unlikely law enforcement officers will assist with your trying to evade speed measuring devices used by law enforcement officers, especially on a public forum.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 04:05:02 PM »
It seems that most of the police around here now use LASAR instead of RADAR to issue speeding tickets rendering a detector mostly useless. I now have a black bike, jacket, and helmet and I started running with headlight covers coated with Veil anti-lasar paint. Judging by the lack of speeding ticket and length of time they kept the unit pointed at me I am not detectable over about 50 feet away, I was really, really close when it finally locked on. I really don't like the headlight covers though and was thinking of changing the headlights to HID projectors and blacking out everything else inside the headlights. My question is how well do the LASAR units lock onto projector style HID headlights? I know they have better reflectors but I am not sure what the lens will do to the lasar beam as far as being reflected back, also the reflector is smaller at 2.5 inches. Any LEO's care to chip in?

Just a thought....slow down possibly and not stress out over it?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 05:22:01 PM »
I do not know the answer to the OP's question but I had the identical thought as you- I cannot imagine any LEOs stepping up to help 'us' avoid 'them'. That would be like putting a 'Watch out all you mice!' warning on the outside of a mousetrap....

;D

Brian

<snip>

It is unlikely law enforcement officers will assist with your trying to evade speed measuring devices used by law enforcement officers, especially on a public forum.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »
Just a thought....slow down possibly and not stress out over it?
:yikes:

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:31:21 PM »

You can get laser jammers

Richard

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 08:20:03 PM »

Offline Bryn

• Leicestershire.... in the heart of England
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:43:11 AM »
I was lucky enough over here in middle England to retire from the police last year. :thumbs:.. spent 17 years on traffic bikes... and a good 10 years as a trainer for Laser speed detection devices..... I'd say the OP has just been lucky , rather than successful at turning himself into a stealth missile ...... The colour of your kit /bike makes no difference at all..... ;)

The only thing going for bikes is that it is slightly harder to acquire a lock, due to the smaller profile

Spent my time trying to educate the rest of them , and booking the ones that really need it.... not penalising those who just need a word of  'advice'   ;D

Offline bacaruda

• GTR1400 2013 Black
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 05:19:00 AM »
Just reving the engine on neutral will give a BLACK C-14 a ticket.  :D

Once you put in gear i would't worry. No one on earth will ever catch up, unless the highway patrol start using SR-71 and those are dicontinued...

WROOOOM!!!
GTR1400 -13 black (Thunder Nugget)
ZRX 1100 -98 Vivid orange/silver/Black
ZRX 1200 -02 Colour: TBD
Yamaha WR250F -02 Hurricane Yellow

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 08:23:47 AM »
Right.  Keep on believing that... :loco: ;) about the color.   I think that radios are a bit faster than the black bikes and nothing pisses off a LEO worse than trying to get away and they come in packs.  There are some jurisdictions that use the C14....what happens then?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 05:36:00 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 01:06:03 PM »
I've purposely made my bike MORE reflective to be seen at night. Luckily I don't see much LASER here in Colorado yet.

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Here in my state laser jammers are not legal so they are not an option. As far as the detector goes I pay more attention without one than when I drive with one.
All I know is LiDAR is basically light being bounced off a target (the bike) and a darker target reflects less light than a bright color, and a giant reflector like our headlight buckets is a great target. I know they will still lock on my blacked out bike but the longer it takes them to lock on the better my chances are. I think I will go ahead and black out everything in the headlight housings and put projector style HID lights in. That will reduce the reflector size down to a 2.5 inch circle and put better light on the road too. Plus if/when I get stopped there is nothing on the bike to annoy the officer. I commute on it every day so I have a good idea where they will be hiding most of the time, that helps too.
Black 2011

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 11:26:58 PM »
Just reving the engine on neutral will give a BLACK C-14 a ticket.  :D

Once you put in gear i would't worry. No one on earth will ever catch up, unless the highway patrol start using SR-71 and those are dicontinued...

WROOOOM!!!

+1

Thrash it like a rented mule.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 04:59:06 AM »
Can't you just leave for work a little earlier?
Just asking...
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline jonathan

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
L ight
A mplification by
S timulated
E mission of
R adiation

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
Here in my state laser jammers are not legal so they are not an option.

I would be surprised if your headlight cover and blacked out reflectors are legal too, but I don't know the laws in your state.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 10:39:41 PM »
There is not a lot that is reflective to aim at with LiDAR except for the headlights, so i am going to use something like this with everything except the light lenses painted black inside the headlight housing. I know they will still pick me up just not as far away as they would like, and If I can get another 3 seconds before they can lock on to me that is a lot of slow down time for this bike. I an not aiming for invisible, just harder to lock onto.
Black 2011

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 04:13:49 AM »
Perhaps you need this...

Shields Up & Down Video Demo.wmv

Offline jwolffie

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »
I got it done, here are the photos of it blacked out.
Black 2011