Author Topic: Flooding in CO  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
Re: Flooding in CO
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 12:49:32 PM »
Ralph is down in Longmont, he sits on high ground. Phil tarman is out in Ft. Morgan, semi-high ground there too.

Mike Reid in Loveland, Sherob, ...

The rains have stopped, but the 'wall of water' is still flowing toward the Missouri. Low lying areas/towns along the N. Platte will be in for a surprise.

We're mopping up up here, will have Spruce Dr. and Overpine Drive passable by end of week. Unless we get more rain... And then where would I go anyway. Whole day drive into town is depressing.

Major roads CO-7, CO-72, US-34, US-36 will take some time. Lots of bridges out, much road base gone.
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 01:00:36 PM »
On the bright side, the lawn looks good. Shaggy, but green.

Offline this is a rv

• This is a RV
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
Found this on the ADV forum.

Went for a "mental health" ride out of Estes last night along Hwy 7. This photo was taken at the Aspen Lodge looking east at the west side of Twin Sisters. The landslide split and went around the Lodge and crossed Hwy 7 in two spots. It sounds like today they will open 7 into Estes for normal traffic. Hwy 7 from Lyons to Hwy 72 will remain closed for some time so all traffic is diverted on to 72 then 119.

The photo is in post #349

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919238&page=24
Jack Gindra
X-COG #43

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 03:58:03 PM »
Hey Rick,,, any updates?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
Main highways still impassable, those include CO-7, US 36, US 34. Trip into town is via Gold Canyon and Sunshine Canyon (both for residents only), or peak-peak highway into Golden (Denver). The former is 1.5 hours, the latter is 2.?? hours.

All fine up here, houses too. We have "Cowboy up" and/or "git er done" down to a science. FEMA can go pound sand.

Pix of my town:
http://www.lyonsrecorder.com/index.php/flash-flood/3716-photo-gallery-9-12-flood-destruction-3
http://www.lyonsrecorder.com/index.php/flash-flood/3679-flood-destruction-image-gallery

I can not fathom how much water flowed down these two relatively short rivers, in such a short time span. The S St. Vrain (the one I'm on (Middle St. Vrain actually)), and the N St. Vrain.

Rick
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 10:17:15 PM by Rick Hall »

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 11:03:36 PM »
Wow, those pictures are brutal.

If it keeps raining like it has the last few days, parts of Oregon could soon look like Colorado.

Keep on keeping on over there Rick.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »
 :o

Wow Rick, those are some pretty horrific pics, glad to hear all is well with you.  :chugbeer:

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 11:37:04 PM »
Yea, I know. Even during a moderate spring snow melt, the rivers are 12-20' across and 3-4' deep. Other than the speed of the flow at that time of the year, you can wade across them.

There's a bridge on the east end of Lyons, newly constructed 5 or so years ago to allow easy access to a subdivision. It remains high and dry, no water whatsoever flowing under it now. The St. Vrain cut a new channel 200-300' to the south of the bridge... washing out the road in the process.

Gonna try to do a fly-over around Casa Hall tomorrow, stay tuned for grainy and out of focus pix ;)

Rick

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2013, 06:50:20 AM »
Rick is there anything we, as a group or individually can do to help you?......
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »
Ditto????

Ride safe, TEd

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 10:01:29 PM »
Everyone is doing what I expect. Jackson and Sharpton are staying home, though Biden stopped by for a few hours last week (to buy some pot in Greeley?), and I think Obummer is planning his next vacation. All is well.

Took the PA28-200 (Piper Arrow, with retracts and variable prop) up for 1.1 hours this afternoon. One full stop and Ft. Collins/Loveland airport, then headed toward Casa Hall for an aerial survey. The plan looked good on paper, but flying along at 110mph and 2,000-3,000' above *lowest* terrain (we have that here, lots of it) makes for some lousy pictures.

CO-7 appears mostly fine. No major lengths of wash-outs. I saw 6-8 sections 50-100' long that were washed out, and I saw several BIG pieces of yellow equipment blowing an occasional puff of grey smoke on the road. Three down by Hall Ranch (no relation) about 2 miles W of Lyons, and another set 2-3 miles further uphill to the west.

Lyons definitely looks different from the air, especially where the river is, or was :-/

Attached pix is of Middle Fork Ranch, about 2 miles up Riverside Drive from me. I airbrushed in where the river *was*. The ranch hand was sleeping in the small house with the beige roof, he climbed the hill (bottom of pix) and down to my place that night. Errr, early AM. Look close and you can see his driveway (with bridge), and some damage to Riverside Drive.

Check my profile for my location, or zoom in on my pin on the member map. The streets are named.