Author Topic: Random nonsense  (Read 26004 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Random nonsense
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2023, 01:09:18 PM »
We just dumped an HE front loader for an old style top load agitator machine. You can actually get enough water in it to clean your clothes.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2023, 06:26:20 PM »
We just dumped an HE front loader for an old style top load agitator machine. You can actually get enough water in it to clean your clothes.

A front loader doesn't need anywhere near as much water to wash clothes.  That is by design.  If you watch it work, it will add a little water and it will turn to get the limited water (and soap) into the clothes, then it pauses and allows the liquid to run through the clothes on its own.  Then it turns the opposite direction and does the same.  It senses the water level all the time, and will add more and more until it is the ideal amount to run through the clothing but not so much as to be unnecessary.  This not only saves water and electricity and detergent (and fabric softener if you use that), it means the soap is more concentrated (less diluted).  So it cleans better.  It is also far less wear on the clothes because it is not twisting and agitating them (wet fibers are far more fragile).  I have found it really does clean much better than conventional top-loaders and clothes last longer.

It also means there is much more space for clothes because it doesn't need so much water.  A top loader will not clean clothes unless there is a ton of water so all the clothes can float and move freely.  That is not the case with a front-loader.  So you can literally "stuff" a front loader, filling every inch of the tub with clothing, and it will clean them just as effectively.  I can wash a king-sized comforter in my home front-loader, which is amazing.  I can also wash two large bath towels, two hand towels, two rags, two king-sized pillow cases, a king-sized fitted sheet, AND a king-sized top sheet in one load and still have room for more.

Now there is one caveat to front loaders- although they CLEAN better in the wash cycle, they don't RINSE as effectively through that tactic.  So most machines will have a "second rinse" option, and I always use that (mine will remember the setting).   But even with that active, it still uses less than half the water and retains all the other positives.

Two other tips with front-loaders:  When you go to wash a cloth or rag, get it wet and wipe the seal to keep it clean.  Also, ALWAYS leave the door cracked significantly OPEN when you are done with laundry, to prevent mildew.  And a tip for drying: never use high heat, use low heat instead.  And don't "over dry", this is easy to prevent with any modern dryer that has auto-sensing.  Both will stress clothes more, while also wasting power.

Yes, it is apparent that I have spent far too much time analyzing washing machines :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2023, 08:52:02 PM »
Hahahaha. You have analyzed washers quite a bit. :)

Front loaders clean better, use less water and are gentler on clothes. They can get moldy though. So I keep the door open for a day after wash. Most of us are just not used to these washers. They are great though.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2023, 10:20:00 PM »
Hahahaha. You have analyzed washers quite a bit. :)

I tend to analyze most everything quite a bit.  It is pretty exhausting.  There is a Consumer's Report enterprise in my brain just waiting for the next thing to come along and consume me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2023, 04:20:21 AM »
We have a front loader but the dispenser area gets pretty bad after a few months so I detach that and put it in the dishwasher to clean up the areas I can't get to.  I also take the top off it and take out the plastic piece that the dispenser fits into and clean that as well.  All done then some Afresh in it and we're good for the next couple of months.  And we leave the door open too.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2023, 08:50:26 AM »
Shifting gears on the nonsense thread a bit. Can someone recommend some OTC multiuse bottles of dry-eye drops? Currently my research tells me that Blink and Refresh are best due to their use of "vanishing" non-BAK preservatives.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2023, 11:20:57 AM »
Refresh has worked well for us.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2023, 03:29:53 PM »
I installed a new gas cap. Pretty happy with it so far. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PLB9BRR
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2023, 09:13:33 PM »
We have a front loader but the dispenser area gets pretty bad after a few months so I detach that and put it in the dishwasher to clean up the areas I can't get to.  I also take the top off it and take out the plastic piece that the dispenser fits into and clean that as well.

Yep!  I do the exact same thing.  That dispenser thing can get nasty.  Mold/mildew just love anywhere wet and warm.  In think it can live on detergent and fabric softener, and those might hold water in there longer as well.

I don't have any issues with the tub, though.  I guess that just has no trouble drying out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2023, 09:18:35 PM »
Shifting gears on the nonsense thread a bit. Can someone recommend some OTC multiuse bottles of dry-eye drops? Currently my research tells me that Blink and Refresh are best due to their use of "vanishing" non-BAK preservatives.

My Ophthalmologist recommended the PF (preservative free) versions of Refresh and Systane.  So I bought both (Costco had a good price on one of them).  Because they are PF, they have to be in "individual servings".  However, you only need a few drops in each eye, so I just hold onto the rest for later in the day.  Not like it will get all THAT contaminated in just several hours.  The PF versions will cost more, due to the more packaging and such.

Anyway, I find that Systane seems to work a bit better.  There are also "generic" versions of it available from various locations for cheaper.  Thankfully, several months after the surgeries, my eyes are no longer insanely dry.  So now I don't have to use either but rarely.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2023, 09:25:01 PM »
I installed a new gas cap. Pretty happy with it so far. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09PLB9BRR

Yeah, my fight with the stock one has always been annoying.  Never-ending corrosion issues to the point I could barely open it until I took it all apart and cleaned and lubed it.  Then it would be good for only another year or two.  Rinse and repeat, over and over.

Finally ended up replacing it with the same OEM new part (moving the cylinder) in mid 2022.  No problems with that one yet, but it hasn't been long enough to know yet.

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20069.0
http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=25405.0

I was considering something like that simple Amazon one at one point, if I got frustrated enough.  But I didn't want black, I wanted to keep the lock, and also keep the "captive" ability of the stock one.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2023, 05:52:48 AM »
Yep!  I do the exact same thing.  That dispenser thing can get nasty.  Mold/mildew just love anywhere wet and warm.  In think it can live on detergent and fabric softener, and those might hold water in there longer as well.

I should have mentioned that not only do I leave the door open, I also leave the dispenser tray all the way open for a few days after use that that helps, as well.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2023, 10:13:59 AM »
Never-ending corrosion issues to the point I could barely open it until I took it all apart and cleaned and lubed it.

Second bike with the same issue. Wasn't going to let it happen again. An additional perk; the opening is smaller than the OEM one. It's about the same size as the inside of the actual filler and this allows a lot less splash while filling.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2023, 10:39:53 AM »
Sometimes I like a little hint of mildew smell. Makes it feel farm fresh.

I should have mentioned that not only do I leave the door open, I also leave the dispenser tray all the way open for a few days after use that that helps, as well.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2023, 05:30:36 AM »
Sometimes I like a little hint of mildew smell. Makes it feel farm fresh.

Eeeew

Is that with or without some Eau de Manure?

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2023, 10:01:41 AM »
Currently without Eau de Manure.

Speaking of which, while looking for soil conditioners this spring I remember seeing bags of manure for sale at home depot! WTF.

So, if I am hankering for the farm fresh smell to go with my farm fresh eggs in the morning, I know I can augment the mildew smell with some warm manure patties placed right in my little front yard.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2023, 01:05:48 PM »
It's good for roses...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2023, 01:45:45 PM »
Good for fire as well. My mom grew up in a farm, she says it's great for all kinds of plants and can use it for fuel as well!

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2023, 07:06:39 PM »
Not chicken though.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2023, 08:53:57 AM »
Anyone out there playing Diablo 4?