Author Topic: Installation instructions for Muzzy's links?  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Installation instructions for Muzzy's links?
« on: June 19, 2011, 01:36:40 PM »
Well, I was not gonna lower the bike, but nabbed a pair of links from ebay for $35. So I thought I might as well give it a try. If I do not like it, I will reverse the process. But before I start putting them on, anyone got any installation instructions for me? I know few of you have installed those and would like advice on how to go about them. I did not find any instructions in Muzzy's site.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gtrdon

Re: Installation instructions for Muzzy's links?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 02:49:01 PM »
This is very easy just put bike on center stand and put a floor jack under rear tire to support. Remove links and replace, jack tire up to match new links.
08 Kawasaki Concours 14
06 Kawasaki ZX14
86 Kawasaki ZX1000
76 Yamaha RD400

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
Awesome. Do you guys replace the side stand? Or the stock side stand is fine? I know the center stand has to go or cut short. But for now, I am not going to do any cutting and just not use the center stand. Also, how do you lower the front of the bike to level it once the rear is lowered?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline gtrdon

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »
The side stand is fine if you don't drop the front a lot of guys just lower the rear.  I use my center stand everyday it does take a big heave to get it on it. I have seen if you cut 3/4 of a inch off it works like it did with the stock links. I just use mine the way it is.
08 Kawasaki Concours 14
06 Kawasaki ZX14
86 Kawasaki ZX1000
76 Yamaha RD400

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
If you do not drop the front, will the bike still be leveled? Won't it affect handling?
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 06:57:01 PM »
Not lowering the front will increase the rake angle slightly, which will have a small effect on the handling.  Basically you'll loose a little turn-in quickness in the corners, but you'll pick up a little high speed stability.  Not a big deal unless you're super aggressive in the corners and think you're Nick Hayden.  I'd venture to say most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference.

As for the side-stand, I used an angle finder gauge to find the lean angle of the bike on the stand (10 degrees measured across the gas cap with stock links).  Once I get my links installed - hopefully this weekend - my plan is to just grind the stop for the side stand back until the lean angle is 10 degrees again.  I've read several say it isn't really necessary to modify the stand if you don't lower the front, but I'm doing it for a little extra piece of mind that it won't easily get knocked over.

If you want to lower the front to keep the stock geometry, you could use the angle finder gauge on the gas cap in the same manner to measure the before and after front to rear slope angle.  Just make sure the bike is upright with both wheels on the ground when you take the measurements.  Most seem to report that raising the forks 1/2" in the tree's does the trick.
Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!