Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 728593 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Moving House
« Reply #3020 on: February 28, 2018, 07:48:25 AM »
Well, I was sitting in  my office, holding the phone in my right hand..... oh, or are you NOT referring to the phone call?

Brian

I'd have to see it in context..
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3021 on: February 28, 2018, 07:49:34 AM »
It is one of those English- English translation thingies. 'Two great nations, separated by a common language'.

Brian

Big Caravan?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3022 on: February 28, 2018, 08:57:24 AM »

I'd have to see it in context..

as in "I'm moving house" :)

Well, I was sitting in  my office, holding the phone in my right hand..... oh, or are you NOT referring to the phone call?

Brian

Possibly :)

Lol
Big Caravan?

--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3023 on: March 01, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »
Given our recent discourses on arms and firearms I thought this might be an interesting fact about nothing at all....

Most of the world organizes their arms that fire projectiles, both large and small (artillery, firearms) around bore size. Of course the US usually does it with our usual 'odd' measurements of inches, while the rest of the world does it with meters. So there it is: a 90 mm mortar fires a.... 90 mm projectile. A .30 caliber rifle fires a 0.3 inch projectile. A 16" US battleship main gun fires a 16" projectile (shell). These are not precise measurements of the caliber's power but are 'close enough' for a rough idea.

But along come our British friends and put the 'whammy' on this whole thing and measure their artillery in.... wait for it.... pounds. Pounds? Weight? OK, so they refer to the artillery piece by its nominal weight. But wait (no pun intended), a '17 pounder' is a really large piece of artillery weighing around 6,000 pounds or 3 tons. So why do they call it a '17 pounder'? Because that is the nominal weight of the projectile it fires. Which really makes no sense at all. Until we back up a couple of centuries and then it really comes into its own:

Back in the days of sailing ships, when Britain was 'The Mistress of the Seas', one way to measure the power of an entire ship was to multiple the size of the cannon shot by the number of cannon that could be fired on one side of that ship (called 'a broadside'). So if a frigate had, say, 50 cannons, and they were 18 pounders, that ship was capable of a '900 pound broadside'. This was really  useful information that could be used to quickly layout which ships should engage which enemy ships with the idea of equaling or better, overwhelming each one of them.

As time moved forward, and 'cannon' became breech loading artillery, and 'cannon balls' became specialized artillery shells, the British carried this general type of measurement forward. All fine and well but it does not fit in well with the rest of the world and ends up one of those things that is only obvious to those actually involved. For example, in North Africa in 1943, what would the Brits. use to engage, say, a Tiger tank with an 88mm main gun? Why a 17 pounder, of course (which is really either a 3 inch or a 76.2 mm high velocity artillery piece) because a 6 pounder would not reliably penetrate a Tiger's armor.

Brian

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3024 on: March 02, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
The whole shotgun "gauge" thing is even worse. A 12 gauge shotgun has a bore such that 12 lead balls of that diameter would weigh 1 pound. Therefor a 20 gauge is smaller than a 12 gauge which is smaller than a 4 gauge (yes I've seen a 4 gauge). Then along comes a .410 shotgun...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3025 on: March 02, 2018, 09:49:36 AM »
Yeah, and that does not get better when the word gauge and bore start to cross.... that 4 'gauge' you saw was probably rifled, making it a 4 bore because it was not a shotgun but a rifle. Same thing, different words applied to convey a meaning having absolutely nothing to do with the word.

My favorite is AC servo motors and DC servo motors. The difference is obvious: an AC servo uses a resolver position sensing device while a DC servo motor uses an encoder position sensing device. The position reporting devices are mounted on the back end of the actual motor. What about the actual motor..... oh, they are both AC three phase of course, why, would you think the motors were different somehow?

Brian

The whole shotgun "gauge" thing is even worse. A 12 gauge shotgun has a bore such that 12 lead balls of that diameter would weigh 1 pound. Therefor a 20 gauge is smaller than a 12 gauge which is smaller than a 4 gauge (yes I've seen a 4 gauge). Then along comes a .410 shotgun...

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3026 on: March 02, 2018, 09:52:36 AM »
I guess nobody wants to play 'what does moving house' mean. That is OK, most Americans would not know what it really meant anyway....

In the UK, the term 'moving house' means 'moving'; in context in the US, we would say 'next month I am moving to a new house'. We (US) would never use the words 'moving house' but we might use the words 'moving a house', which is a fascinating thing to see, what with all the hydraulics, crane, flat bed trailers, main pulling truck, etc. Moving a house is no small task and it is not done all that often.

Brian

as in "I'm moving house" :)
Possibly :)

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3027 on: March 03, 2018, 05:16:50 AM »
which again with your (generic rather than individual)  obsession with shortening/simplifying words why would you use the  longer phrase

"next month I am moving to a new house" when you can just say " I'm moving house next month"  which is 40% shorter ;)

I guess nobody wants to play 'what does moving house' mean. That is OK, most Americans would not know what it really meant anyway....

In the UK, the term 'moving house' means 'moving'; in context in the US, we would say 'next month I am moving to a new house'. We (US) would never use the words 'moving house' but we might use the words 'moving a house', which is a fascinating thing to see, what with all the hydraulics, crane, flat bed trailers, main pulling truck, etc. Moving a house is no small task and it is not done all that often.

Brian
--

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3028 on: March 03, 2018, 06:48:19 AM »
which again with your (generic rather than individual)  obsession with shortening/simplifying words why would you use the  longer phrase

"next month I am moving to a new house" when you can just say " I'm moving house next month"  which is 40% shorter ;)

And even shorter than that is just "I'm moving next month" which is another 20% shorter :)
Americans do like shorter, perhaps that explains why we also drop all those unnecessary extra "u's"!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3029 on: March 05, 2018, 08:36:39 AM »
Yeah, and that does not get better when the word gauge and bore start to cross.... that 4 'gauge' you saw was probably rifled, making it a 4 bore because it was not a shotgun but a rifle. Same thing, different words applied to convey a meaning having absolutely nothing to do with the word.

My favorite is AC servo motors and DC servo motors. The difference is obvious: an AC servo uses a resolver position sensing device while a DC servo motor uses an encoder position sensing device. The position reporting devices are mounted on the back end of the actual motor. What about the actual motor..... oh, they are both AC three phase of course, why, would you think the motors were different somehow?

Brian

The 4 gauge I was referring to was in the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody WY and I'm pretty sure it was a smooth bore shotgun for taking out geese. A "punt" gun I think.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3030 on: March 05, 2018, 09:47:18 AM »
Oh, OK. Punt guns were normally used like pieces of artillery and mounted to the boat, if memory serves.

After 10 gauge, most larger (or all?) bore shoulder arms are rifles. And they have been made up to 2 bore though honestly I cannot really imagine firing one. But 8 and 6 bore rifles were used on the largest, thickest skinned game in the world in the short period of time after cartridges were in use but before smokeless powder. Black or 'gunpowder' basically limits a projectile's speed to just above the speed of sound but once smokeless powders were available, that limitation no longer applied and so bore sizes dropped, projectile length increased as did velocity to allow more power to be delivered. Smokeless powder elephant guns are still quite large but limited to the mid- .50 caliber range usually and never above .60 caliber (the errant .70 nitro express excepted as a 'freak' cartridge).

Brian

The 4 gauge I was referring to was in the Buffalo Bill Center in Cody WY and I'm pretty sure it was a smooth bore shotgun for taking out geese. A "punt" gun I think.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3031 on: March 09, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
As most everyone knows, Amelia Earhart was an aviation pioneer that disappeared in the south pacific in 1937 in an attempt to fly around the world. She took off from Papua New Guinea for Howland Island and was never seen again. In 1940 some human bones including a skull, a woman's shoe and a bottle of herbal liqueur Benedictine were found on Nikumaroro island to the south of Howland island. At the time, the bones were analyzed on Fiji and declared to be male due to the size (no DNA at the time). The bones have since disappeared and no DNA analysis can be done. But photographs and measurements of the bones were made and recorded. Now those measurements as well as the documented height of Amelia as well as body proportions from photographs have been analyzed and fed into a forensic program for this exact purpose and the results are a 99% match.  It sure looks like Amelia Earhart was actually found 78 years ago in 1940. One of the great mysteries of the 20th century solved.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43323944#

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #3032 on: March 09, 2018, 01:29:45 PM »
As most everyone knows, Amelia Earhart was an aviation pioneer that disappeared in the south pacific in 1937 in an attempt to fly around the world. She took off from Papua New Guinea for Howland Island and was never seen again. In 1940 some human bones including a skull, a woman's shoe and a bottle of herbal liqueur Benedictine were found on Nikumaroro island to the south of Howland island. At the time, the bones were analyzed on Fiji and declared to be male due to the size (no DNA at the time). The bones have since disappeared and no DNA analysis can be done. But photographs and measurements of the bones were made and recorded. Now those measurements as well as the documented height of Amelia as well as body proportions from photographs have been analyzed and fed into a forensic program for this exact purpose and the results are a 99% match.  It sure looks like Amelia Earhart was actually found 78 years ago in 1940. One of the great mysteries of the 20th century solved.

Hmmm, would be very interesting to identify her, but applying "a 99% match" to the statement, "Until definitive evidence is presented that the remains are not those of Amelia Earhart," Dr Jantz writes in the paper, "the most convincing argument is that they are hers." doesn't seem right. After all, there are billions of people on Earth. Also, what happened to her navigator? Do they speculate that she stayed on the island and starved to death while he decided to swim for it? And until somebody proves otherwise this conclusion is 99% true!  ???

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3033 on: March 10, 2018, 07:24:39 AM »

Hmmm, would be very interesting to identify her, but applying "a 99% match" to the statement, "Until definitive evidence is presented that the remains are not those of Amelia Earhart," Dr Jantz writes in the paper, "the most convincing argument is that they are hers." doesn't seem right. After all, there are billions of people on Earth. Also, what happened to her navigator? Do they speculate that she stayed on the island and starved to death while he decided to swim for it? And until somebody proves otherwise this conclusion is 99% true!  ???

Only 13 bones were found on the island and only 13 bones were analyzed. What became of the other bones? It's logical to assume that animals may have had something to do with the missing bones. Maybe animals had something to do with the missing navigator's remains? Maybe the plane crashed into the water and he was killed and never made landfall? Who knows.

It's interesting to me that those 13 bones disappeared. How could that happen in such a high profile case? More likely those bones are in someone personal collection somewhere...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3034 on: March 11, 2018, 03:02:40 PM »
Had to buy a new meat thermometer (Easy Boys!) due to a probe failure (Boys!). Happen to see the same type I already had and liked now available in a dual probe model, so I grabbed one of those.

Now the thought has occurred to me that given this hardware, I might finally be able to answer the age- old question 'what is the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer'. And no, the oft- stated answer that one 'tastes bad' is merely a joke with no truth in it (as far as I know). So now I am off to get the definitive answer, as soon as I can find a viable, willing (or at least drunk enough) person to actually test. Tried it on the kitten but found I could not.... er, 'insert' either probe in either orifice. Man are her claws sharp!

BTW: the actual answer to the question is one- degree F. I will let you decide which place is warmer....

Brian

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3035 on: March 11, 2018, 03:32:07 PM »
Had to buy a new meat thermometer (Easy Boys!) due to a probe failure (Boys!). Happen to see the same type I already had and liked now available in a dual probe model, so I grabbed one of those.

Now the thought has occurred to me that given this hardware, I might finally be able to answer the age- old question 'what is the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer'. And no, the oft- stated answer that one 'tastes bad' is merely a joke with no truth in it (as far as I know). So now I am off to get the definitive answer, as soon as I can find a viable, willing (or at least drunk enough) person to actually test. Tried it on the kitten but found I could not.... er, 'insert' either probe in either orifice. Man are her claws sharp!

BTW: the actual answer to the question is one- degree F. I will let you decide which place is warmer....

Brian

Let’s assume (for the sake of discussion) you did find a willing person to test this  hypothesis on. Tell me you wouldn’t use it for its intended purpose afterwards.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3036 on: March 11, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »
Well now see that would be the 'tastes bad' part. I would continue to use it and for my family and friends, I would buy new probes. Other people, well, maybe not so much.....

Brian

Let’s assume (for the sake of discussion) you did find a willing person to test this  hypothesis on. Tell me you wouldn’t use it for its intended purpose afterwards.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3037 on: March 11, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
Oral thermometers have a blue tip and rectal ones a red tip

The bulb is a slightly different shape.

An oral thermometer has a long slender bulb whilst a rectal one is short & stubby, this is to prevent injury during insertion.

Now the thought has occurred to me that given this hardware, I might finally be able to answer the age- old question 'what is the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer'. And no, the oft- stated answer that one 'tastes bad' is merely a joke with no truth in it (as far as I know).
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #3038 on: March 11, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »

An oral thermometer has a long slender bulb whilst a rectal one is short & stubby, this is to prevent injury during insertion.

That said  some oral thermometers have short stubby bulbs, the important bit is the colour coding so you know where it's been used ;)
--

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3039 on: March 11, 2018, 05:16:08 PM »
Wow, you really know your thermometers Mike. Or the orifi (is that the plural of orifice?) that they are supposed to be stuck in.

:-)

Brian