Author Topic: more tire choices....  (Read 2768 times)

Offline kawaholic

more tire choices....
« on: May 17, 2012, 11:30:28 PM »
first let me say, i'm glad to see this place is still kicking... haven't checked in in a while...

i've been running the avon storm 2's in the 160/70/17 and 120/70/17 flavors and i've been very happy with their performance but wanted to try something different.

it was time for another rear tire so i decided i was gonna try a michelin pilot road 3 in 170/60/17.

here's where it gets good... i have a bunch of rear tires kicking around that i've been running on the track on my 07 zx6r. the edges are too worn for track riding but they still have plenty of street miles left in them. problem is, i don't ride the zx on the street b/c i lack the self control needed to keep from riding at INSANE speeds on the street.

so i have the pr3 in my possession ready to go on the bike. i pulled the wheel and removed the old tire. having all these other tires around has been killing me to not be able to use them and i decided i was gonna try and fit a 180/55/17 on the rear of the conk.

IT FITS!!!! BARELY but IT FITS!!! 8)

it's close on the drive side of the swing arm (~1/4" clearance) but i don't see it being a problem. the only thing that really concerned me was the right foot of the center stand was pretty close to the tire. i ground off the inside rear corner of both feet on the center stand to gain an acceptable clearance, imho...

i haven't taken a test ride yet but i'll be taking care of that tomorrow. i'm interested to see what it's gonna feel like. i'll report back with my thoughts tomorrow evening and post up some pics.

has anyone else tried a 180/55 on a m/s conversion?

also, for clarification, i know manufacturers stated sizes vary by brand. the tire i have mounted up is a michelin pilot power 2ct. after that's used up, i've got a few power pure's i'm going to run. once they get used up (provided i like how they feel and keep them on there) i'll go ahead and run the pr3.

has anyone run the pr3's ?

thoughts? impressions?

like i said, i was very happy with the storm2's but the pr3 was ~ 40 bucks cheaper and all the reviews i've read have been positive.
tom
04 connie
07 zx6r
02 kx250

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Re: more tire choices....
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 12:00:42 AM »
I'll be following this closely.  I, too, want to know of hands-on experience with the Michelin PR3 (specific size info, please) on the Mean Streak wheel.

TIA
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 12:34:03 AM »
PR3 = awesomeness. 120/70-17 front, 170/60-17 rear. 10k miles of all-weather riding. Still at 1/2 tread and no flat spots or chicken strips.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline kawaholic

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »
I'll be following this closely.  I, too, want to know of hands-on experience with the Michelin PR3 (specific size info, please) on the Mean Streak wheel.

TIA

it was time for another rear tire so i decided i was gonna try a michelin pilot road 3 in 170/60/17.

::)   ;D

PR3 = awesomeness. 120/70-17 front, 170/60-17 rear. 10k miles of all-weather riding. Still at 1/2 tread and no flat spots or chicken strips.

yup, that's what i keep hearing. can't wait to try it. it'll prolly be a while before i get to try  the front. i know these hyper sports on the rear prolly aren't going to last long but i gotta get rid of them. we'll see how it goes...
tom
04 connie
07 zx6r
02 kx250

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 05:13:21 AM »
 I'm on a pr3 rear now. The pr2 was a great tire for me, got 9700 and still had probably 1k left when I replaced it, and now the pr3 is heading the same way. Totally stable all the time, no matter the conditions. Being a florida chicken i do have chicken strips, about 5/16" per side. I will say that good tires do increase my tolerance for lean angle, but I'm no racer! steve

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »
I'm on a pr3 rear now. The pr2 was a great tire for me, got 9700 and still had probably 1k left when I replaced it, and now the pr3 is heading the same way. Totally stable all the time, no matter the conditions. Being a florida chicken i do have chicken strips, about 5/16" per side. I will say that good tires do increase my tolerance for lean angle, but I'm no racer! steve

170/60-17 rear, Steve?

I'm wanting the 'tall' more than 'wide' to preserve the lazy low cruising RPM's I love with my 7th Gear, but there's no 160/70 in the PR's.  I guess there's really minimal difference in the two sizes from that standpoint, though, so I need to finish my MS conversion and go with the PR3 when my current 16 Avon is done.
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750