Author Topic: Home-made semi-rearsets..... i'm having trouble finding the "correct" pieces.  (Read 2594 times)

Offline emjayw

I have installed a set of GL1800 pegs in the original brackets, without "knee-savers".  this sets my feet back about 1.5" and down a bit.  I have purchased a brake pedal for a ZZR600 which will put my pedal back the right amount but I am having trouble finding the "right" shifter to do the same 1.5" setback.  Kawasaki no longer has the '84 KZ700 shifter available so I'm looking for an alternative part to fill the bill.   The stock part is approx. 4" in length.  I need a length of approx. 5.5"  If you've found something that works, please give dimensions and part numbers.   Thanks for your help.   Mike in TX

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline emjayw

Thanks, George.  I used your write-up when I went parts hunting....   Big K had the brake pedal, for $67!  (minus the bushing and needed washer.  I'm awating those parts right now.)  The used gear shifter I obtained was from an '84 KZ700, (looks same as the GPZ550 you suggested, but with a shorter adjustment rod in place.))  It fits well, minus the washers, as you stated.  The rubber bits were toast, so I'm running without rubber at the front joint for testing purposes.  Tomorrow is supposed to be low 30's when I leave for our Sunday morning ride.  I'll give it a good workout and report back.  The Brake Pedal will take a bit more "fitting" as I like to ride with the pedal "under" my foot by about 1/2" at normal posture.  I'm already thinking about shortening the threaded piston end on the rear master cylinder to give me more downward adjustment.  If everything works out well, I'll post some pics showing the pieces and their respective sizes/locations with the GL1800 pegs.  thanks again, for your detective skills and for posting.
Mike in TX

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
You could transfer the rubber bits over from the stock shifter.

Beware adjusting the brake lower, on mine the pedal contacted something to limit travel. I set mine so it's up fairly high and keep my foot below the brake pedal while riding.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline emjayw

Yes, I read where you advised to be "careful" about mounting the brake pedal lower so I'll be extra-cautious about the clearances needed.  Mike    PS: I'll transfer the rubber from the stocker when I'm satisfied with the position/performance.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
I did this mod about a year 18 months ago using the ZX9 footpegs. I like to run my brake pedal a little low. I used a dremel to remove a little material from the ZX6 brake pedal, just enough to give me enough clearance to be able to adjust the brake pedal to my liking.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline emjayw

Thanks Roadhound, that's kind of what I am after.  I did 160 miles yesterday (Feb 12) in high thirties/low fourties temperatures and my gear lever started jamming up on me.  It's too cold to head to the garage this morning but I think the grease I used on the pivot just got cold and stiffened.  I'll remove the shift assembly and check it out.  I may go back to the "stock" lever as the throw is shorter and it's always out of my way in my "riding" posture.  Not sure yet on this one.  I really like the GL1800 pegs as they allow me some "move-around" room due to their wide and low design.  the trick to making them fit right is in making the new holes off-center to allow them to hit the "stops" correctly.  Only took a few extra minutes with rat-tail files to "center" the new mounting holes in the right spot.  Thanks for your help.  Mike in TX