Author Topic: Want to buy a TACO ???  (Read 5112 times)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Want to buy a TACO ???
« on: October 23, 2016, 05:11:46 PM »
I know nothing of Toyota trucks other than a long standing reputation of being long lasting and sturdy. The last truck I owned was an 89 Isuzu, and boy have things changed since then as they no longer make cheap little trucks...

I've come across a real garage queen here as the truck in question is a 2012 Tacoma with less than 5K miles (yes 5K miles) on the clock. It sports an odd package in that it has SR5 on the tailgate but sports a full list of TRD-PRO goodies. It is equipped with a V6, 6 speed manual and 4 wheel drive. With 4 doors and full leather seating plus a color matched hard cover and fully carpeted short box gives it features I was not looking for but can make good use of as it will mainly be interstate driven for work and home duty of hauling a boat or trailer here and there. Anyway the lot price is under 32K so it sounds like a really good value compared to what I'd have to pay for a new truck equipped the same. Guess what I'm looking for here is input from other TACO owners as to what to expect from this truck as far as comfort and reliability?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: Want to buy a TACO ???
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:46:38 PM »
This is where I get some confusion as while I know the SR5 is not the high end but this truck has got to be some special order as it has a huge list of optional items except for a Nav system and the top tier radio. When I try to rebuild it on the Toyota site it comes out in the 42/43 K range.

I went to KBB it and can't quite get the site to work as it has links to FB and our work router shuts it down, but I get a glimpse that shows the pricing in the 32K range.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 08:28:32 PM »
Well, golly, T-Cro, you just hit one of my hot buttons.  I'll cut and paste this rant from several years ago with a few of my opinions on Toyota trucks.  As always with opinions, most people won't agree with me, but here are my thoughts for what they are worth:

I have a 1990 Toyota Hi-Lux truck (they didn't call them Tacomas then), 4x4 X-cab, 3.0 V-6, 5-speed manual.  It only has 360,000 miles on it and it has been the best vehicle I ever owned. 

New Toyotas are not in any way comparable to the older vehicles, in my humble opinion.

In February 2007 I bought a brand new Tacoma (actually not yet built, I had to wait for it), 4x4, X-Cab, trailer package, TRD Off-Road suspension package, premium sound system, 4.0 V-6, 6-speed manual, electric rear locker.  I paid a little under $28,000 for it.  Biggest piece o'crap I ever had, and that includes the 1976 FIAT 124 Spyder. 

This forum doesn’t have enough bandwidth to list all the shortcomings I found in that vehicle (I can’t really call it a truck, it was more like a tall Camry with a LOT of trunk space), but here are some that come easily to mind:

I am 6'1" and the ergonomics were terrible for me.  Very limited (as in dangerously so) visibility, shifter too far forward, not enough room under the panel for all three pedals plus my feet, gas, brake, and clutch.  Gearing is all wrong, first gear is way too low, (out of six speeds, only the even ones were usable, the odds just didn’t match any driving speed/RPM combo I could find) annoying exhaust rumble at all RPMs, paint thin and easily damaged by tree sap and fingernails, the roof dented when I leaned on it gently while washing it, light grey interior showed every finger-print and speck of dirt, lousy sound from the premium system, acceleration hesitation/stumble. The brake system would allow the pedal to go clear to the floor if I held pressure on it for say three minutes.  I nearly rolled backwards into another car while waiting for a red light on Cherry Street in Seattle, a very steep hill.  Dealer mechanic said, "Yeah, that's because of how the ABS works."  WTF??????  I duplicated that by holding the pedal on another truck at another dealer and it did the same thing.

Mechanic's line on each and every problem I had was "They all do that."

I could go on and on.  Go to www.toyotanation.com and you'll find a lot of stories about cracked/broken plastic beds, loose fenders, bent/broken tailgates, etc.  The best fuel mileage I ever got was 16MPG.  I will say the only good thing about that vehicle was the suspension, the TRD Off-Road package.  Outstanding.  It would do 60 MPH all day on our Washington State logging roads, IF you could get the computer to allow you to put it into 4WD, which was a hit-or-miss proposition. Low-range?  Well, maybe on a good day, if you held your nose right and wore the correct color hat, but not when you really need it.  I HATE electronic 4WD controls, and that's my only complaint with my GMC.  There was nothing wrong with the old Johnson-bar manual transfer case on my old Toyota Hi-Lux, shift-on-the-fly up to 55 MPH, still works perfectly after all these years.

I kept that P.O.S. Taco for 5 months and 6,000 miles, at which time it started burning oil.  I didn’t want to get into a warranty fight with Toyota over a new engine in a truck I didn't like anyway ("You didn’t break it in right", yadday, yadda, yadda).  One bright sunny Saturday, I drove it to the local GMC dealer, tossed the keys to the first salesman who came out and said, "I ain't driving that piece o'crap home.  What else ya got?"  What they had was a slightly used (25,000 miles) 2006 GMC Sierra 4x4 X-cab, trailer package, rear locker, heavy-duty off-road suspension, 5.3 aluminum LS series block V8, Bose stereo (not that great, but better than the Taco), heated leather seats, all for $400 less than I paid for the Taco.  I LOVE this GMC truck.  The GMC gets 17 MPG around town and a solid 20 MPG on the highway if I keep it under 65.

But like all things, your experience will be different.  My sister has a 2006 2WD X-Cab Taco with the 4-cylinder engine and automatic tranny, and she loves it.  Go figure.

Maybe the 2012's are different than the 2007 that I had, and you aren't me, so who knows how much is comparable for you as compared to my situation.  I never towed anything with that Taco, but I talked to people who felt it was a little light in the rear and a bit squirrelly due to the lightweight plastic bed.  But no two people have the same opinions about towing, either so who knows. 
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:41:25 PM »
 the guy that traded it in prolly got $22k, max.

Unless Monica Lewinski, is living under the front seat, don't be silly.

Options are options, its not showroom new
Its used.

It was traded in... what's that tell you?

$30k

Wtf I am driving old vehicles I outright own., and could never fathom a price like that... a truck is a truck...
You are freaking me out there brother,

Buy a beater truck, and a cool car....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
Thanks MOB great first hand info....

BTW Go pour yourself another drink...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 09:15:38 PM »
Well, golly, T-Cro, you just hit one of my hot buttons.  I'll cut and paste this rant from several years ago with a few of my opinions on Toyota trucks.  As always with opinions, most people won't agree with me, but here are my thoughts for what they are worth:

Thank you kindly...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 11:46:22 PM »
Thanks MOB great first hand info....

BTW Go pour yourself another drink...

Thanks for the invite, not allowed to drink,  sobriety sucks, but its part of the easy stuff to blame for sensible reasoning these days.... bummer, it was easy to blame for my choices in opinion for years, but diabetes has a very subtle way of telling the body.... you can't do that anymore.

Sorry if you took it as a drunken rant, it was just something I could not reason as a "value" deal.
Having not owned an "automobile" in  25+ years, and currently owning 3 trucks, I guess I just can't seem to find what you found, as a "good deal" When prices excede $20k for something 5 years old..

Come up here, prices seem lower, and they have been rust treated...

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Toyota-Tacoma-Cleveland-d311_L27014

Good luck,

Carry on.

:censored:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 04:26:26 AM »
I've got a 2016 Taco.  Love it!  Here's a forum I use for them:  https://www.tacomaworld.com/  It was my first ever new truck.  Got close to 15k on it and have had it since late March.  You can find stuff to look out for if you buy a previous generation.   There were some rusting issues on the frame for some of the older ones to look out for.
This is where I get some confusion as while I know the SR5 is not the high end but this truck has got to be some special order as it has a huge list of optional items except for a Nav system and the top tier radio. When I try to rebuild it on the Toyota site it comes out in the 42/43 K range.

I went to KBB it and can't quite get the site to work as it has links to FB and our work router shuts it down, but I get a glimpse that shows the pricing in the 32K range.

It's entirely possible the owner added those things himself.  Taco owners do that all the time.  For that price, though, I'd buy new.  It isn't that far off the mark.  I looked at a 2014 at Car Max and it was only a few thousand less than a new 2016.  I have a TRD Sport.  Plus the dealer does oil changes for life, free state inspections, and warranties the engine for life.  What's not to like?

« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 07:44:27 AM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 07:39:46 AM »

Come up here, prices seem lower, and they have been rust treated...

Yeah well I'd like to avoid that rust treatment if at all possible thank you...

I can understand your shock since as you've clearly stated your automotive ownership, but I'm not wanting a up rusted beater if I buy anything at all it has to be turnkey & interstate ready for 1,300 mile trips 9 times a year not 3 mile trips to the hardware store.... Truthfully I have realized that this truck is priced a bit high but it is still priced below FMV and if I make an offer if will be for less...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 07:57:17 AM »
I don't have a late model Tacoma, but several of my close friends do. I have never heard a negative word said about any of them. Never. One of them is a 2012 loaded up Tacoma with nearly 150k on the clock and the owner says he will start to think about getting a new truck when it hits 250k.

You can find something wrong with EVERY vehicle available, if you choose to. More often than not it is due to buyer's remorse. After being a factory trained mechanic for over 20 years I have found that people that can afford a vehicle and believe that they got a good deal are very satisfied with it. Those who buy more than they can truly afford or perceive that they got a bad deal will invariably find fault with their vehicles.

Truth be told, it's hard to find a "bad" late modelvehicle these days. And getting harder every day. It all comes down to personal preference. I have seen people slam the C14 on this very forum, rambling on about all that it is not. I love my C14, probably the best motorcycle I have ever owned. Is it better than a late model Wing, I have no clue. Better than a Ducati, I have no clue. I don't care. I love my bike.

If you like the truck and believe that it is a good deal, AND you can TRULY afford it, by all means, buy it! You will be thrilled with it.

Best of luck to you.

God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 08:11:57 AM »
...It's entirely possible the owner added those things himself.  Taco owners do that all the time.  For that price, though, I'd buy new.  It isn't that far off the mark.  I looked at a 2014 at Car Max and it was only a few thousand less than a new 2016.  I have a TRD Sport.  Plus the dealer does oil changes for life, free state inspections, and warranties the engine for life.  What's not to like?

Your right Jimbo this thing is tricked up either by the dealer or by the owner who appears to have been military and deployed a lot, hence the low miles... One of the things I've noted is that it has full leather which as far as I can tell from a 2012 brochure was not an option. It seems to have just about every available factory option from a tow package to step tubes as well as many aftermarket add-on such as a painted to match hardcover and fully carpeted bed, options I was not even interested in but nice nevertheless... But yes the price seems a bit highish and I do plan on checking out new Tacos, Frontiers & some SUV too as I'm just not interested in full sized trucks...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 08:50:30 AM »
Toyota has the mid-sized truck market sewed up...totally.  I actually was thinking Dodge but they don't make the Dakota anymore.  Can't stand Nissan and don't like GM products at all.  I hate the styling of the Honda's.    If you can get the price knocked down, it may be worth it to buy the used one just for the accessories that have been added.   Hard decision to make.  2012 is second gen and they had severe rusting (frame) issues.  If you get the used one make sure that's been addressed.

Here's a link to the common issues with the 2nd gen  https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-tips-mods-more.7174/

At least you figure out if you have those issues or not on the used one based on the above link.

I sold my 91 Dak and traded in my RAV4 to purchase the truck.  Needed 4WD to get my wife to work in the winter if it snows..  The RAV had close to 200k miles on it and it was nearly 11 years old.  I like Toyota products.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:21:18 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 09:26:35 AM »
Might not hurt to check the recall list to see if there are any issues.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 01:14:14 PM »
Excellent idea as there were a few.. :thumbs:

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 02:43:12 PM »
Somebody liked it home today and I'm still a week out...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »
Toyota has the mid-sized truck market sewed up...totally.  I actually was thinking Dodge but they don't make the Dakota anymore.  Can't stand Nissan and don't like GM products at all.  I hate the styling of the Honda's.    If you can get the price knocked down, it may be worth it to buy the used one just for the accessories that have been added.   Hard decision to make.  2012 is second gen and they had severe rusting (frame) issues.  If you get the used one make sure that's been addressed.

Here's a link to the common issues with the 2nd gen  https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2nd-gen-tips-mods-more.7174/

At least you figure out if you have those issues or not on the used one based on the above link.

I sold my 91 Dak and traded in my RAV4 to purchase the truck.  Needed 4WD to get my wife to work in the winter if it snows..  The RAV had close to 200k miles on it and it was nearly 11 years old.  I like Toyota products.

I've always like Mopar, I don't have "rust bucket trucks", but I do have some with high miles.... like the Dakota, the GMC HighRider 4x4, and my GMC Sanoma...
All except the 4x4 are almost at 200k miles... no rust.... and all perform extremely well...

I have nothing against the Yota's, having owned a couple back in time, the only issue was rust....
All my current trucks came from Va, or NC, and have resisted Ohios rust syndrome for 5 years so far,

I wish you well with whatever you get, I truely hate working on trucks... or laying under them... too old now.

I just had sticker shock , that's all.

My trucks are dependable, I make sure of that. If you worry about jumping in one, and goining thru 6 tankfulls, on a trip, (3k miles), then I wouldn't own it.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 07:18:05 PM »
I just had sticker shock , that's all.

My trucks are dependable, I make sure of that. If you worry about jumping in one, and goining thru 6 tankfulls, on a trip, (3k miles), then I wouldn't own it.

You had sticker shock? How doe ya think I felt as the only truck I ever bought new was an 89 Isuzu and I've not owned anything to consider mine since 04 as I simply didn't see the need. Trucks are not cheap like the Isuzu was....

Fast forward to the last couple of years where I've learnt that I can simply rent a car for the work hustle and keep it for the 2 weeks I'm off as my work pays my travel.

Getting rentals has been fun but I'm tired of having nothing to show for and miss having a truck with the seat set where I want it, radio preset to my channels and being able to leave personnel gear in it...
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Bergmen

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 03:47:20 PM »
I don't own a Tacoma but have owned a 2006 Tundra I bought new in August of that year. It has 202,000 miles on it and drives like the day I drove it off the lot. I plan on keeping it indefinitely, no need to consider replacing it. All maintenance done myself, nothing breaks and few things wear out. Oil dipstick is useless, never need it. Original front brakes lasted 170,000, rears are original and about 2/3 gone. Five speed auto, best transmission I've ever owned. V-8 has 271 hp and hauls rutabagas. Hard to find used, nobody wants to sell them.

Toyotas are incredible.

Just my two cents...

Dan

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »
Might even get some sort of deal on them.  As far as the big truck market goes, they're at the bottom of the list.  The big three have that all sewn up.  It really depends on what you are going to tow or carry.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »
Wasn't meant to be for me but oddly enough it was purchased by a guy named Tony...
Tony P. Crochet