Author Topic: Catharsis  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Curt

• Arena
Catharsis
« on: November 11, 2011, 11:44:45 AM »
Friday, November 11, 2011
Getting Personal
Never having seriously considered my own mortality the words "fibro sarcoma" spoken by the doctor rocked my world. All I actually heard was "sarcoma". I knew it was a form of cancer. I am dying. But then, everyone is dying. Life can be prolonged through medical procedures but eventually we all die. So, the question is, do we die on our terms or someone Else's.

Medical professionals will line up around the block willing to tell you what you must do, as long as they are getting paid. The surgeon tells you that the tumor must be removed. Of course he gets paid to remove tumors. The radiation oncologist will tell you that you must have radiation therapy. He gets paid for providing that therapy. Everyone in the medical field has an opinion, all of which they will share with you, for a fee.

So, where do you go for advise? Family and friends, while great, offer little in the way of actual information. Everyone has a cancer story, whether it be themselves or someone they know. There are endless anecdotes about Aunt Marge and Uncle Willie who either did everything the doctors told them to or ignored all medical advise. The one thing that all the Aunt Marges and Uncle Willies have in common is that they all died, or will die.

I turned to the internet and began reading. Amazingly, there is a lot more information on soft tissue fibro sarcoma as it pertains to cats and dogs than there is about the disease in humans. No large studies have been done on humans with this form of cancer. The cancer help sites offer basic cancer information but very little about the actual disease. Mostly they link to support groups. I have no desire to hear others whine about themselves, I am doing enough whining of my own.

A biopsy of the tumor was "inconclusive". The biopsy was studied by three different pathologists, one located at Johns Hopkins University. The phrase the surgeon used was "it is probably not malignant". After the tumor was removed it was sent to three pathologists. Two of the three said benign. The third said fibro sarcoma. Terrific, even the experts disagree.

Now, every expert tells me that I need 30 radiation treatments. Five days a week for six weeks. When asked how many cases of fibro sarcoma they have dealt with every expert says "none". They have dealt with various sarcomas, just not this one. From my reading I have discovered that fibro sarcoma is thought to be a result of previous radiation therapy for other cancers. Wait, you guys want to treat a disease with the therapy that is thought to cause the disease? Perhaps there is something here that I am incapable of understanding but the logic escapes me.

After more reading I found this statement, "The use of radiation therapy following the removal of a fibro sarcoma is recommended but has not been proven to be of benefit as it relates to survival rates". And this, "the 5 year survival rate of those diagnosed with fibro sarcoma is 60%". 6 out of 10 people with this disease lived longer than 5 years after diagnosis. What is not said is how many died as a result of the disease.

Decision time. This may be the most selfish thing that I have ever done. I will not have radiation therapy. Once this huge hole in my back is healed I will return to living. I will return to work. I will once more ride my motorcycle like an idiot. I will fish and hunt and play golf, fibro sarcoma and medical experts be damned.

Regardless of when I die, be it tomorrow, next week, next month, next year or decades from now, it will not be fibro sarcoma that killed me, it will be living.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Catharsis
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 11:56:54 AM »
Congratulations for taking control of your life in dealing with the medical profession.  I'm going through something similar with my mother (heart issues).  We keep telling them she's 80 years old and weak as a kitten and they want to crack her open like an egg to give her a few years more (maybe) of life.  She doesn't understand what they are telling her so we're trying to intervene and prevent her from dying on the table just so they can have some practice added to their resumes.  I don't understand the medical profession at all.

Good luck to you, Curt and hopefully you'll have a long life in spite of the doctors.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
Damn Curt, that's rough, I am sorry. Good luck in your decision.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 01:52:43 PM »
I support your decision. Live your life to the fullest. Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift, that is why it is called 'present'.

I do not know if this is relevant, but I am getting this urge to post it:

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:09:15 PM »
Wow, that's deep....but spot on.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »
When I was seven years old, the Army "doctors" discovered that my father had lung cancer, likely from the thousands of packs of Camels and Lucky Strikes he'd smoked for 30 years.  It took two years of butchery for the surgeons to kill him.  If he'd had no treatment at all he may have lived another 20 years.

A few years ago, trying to diagnose the recurrent abdominal pains I was having,
"doctors" ordered many tests and scans, particularly CAT scans with radioactive dye.  Four of those in five years.  Now we are told each CAT scan is equal to about FOUR HUNDRED regular chest X-rays.  Now I have a hemagioma (growth) on my liver.  Non-malignant so far.  Likely caused by the numerous CAT scans.  In the end it took a good surgeon to figure out I had bilateral hernias, and a simple four-hour surgery to fix that.  Now I find out that I could have had MRI's instead of CAT scans and saved the radiation exposure. 

Curt, I don't know you and will never meet you, but I really hope you have a good outcome and this thing doesn't end your days sooner than necessary.   Cancer is no longer just a disease, it is an INDUSTRY.  I firmly believe that there will NOT be a sure cure found as long as there is a multi-trillion dollar industry in cancer treatmentThreatment is where the money is.

Best of luck to you Curt.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 02:22:16 AM »
Lyrics from "Life is Killing Me" by Type O Negative, my favorite band:
Like a Jew in ancient Spain
And for Christ's name did pay with pain
Modern day inquisition
What is the link between these crafts?
Doctors and thieves, they both wear masks
Overpaid meat magicians

Life is killing me

Your doctorate and Ph.D.
Would wipe my ass etched in feces
Will not cure your affliction
Doctors Jeckyll or Mengele
And your face too, they're just a blur
Can't improve my condition

Life is killing me

Appointment made, waited three hours
Did not realize you had such power
I'd rather see a mortician
Your parents saved or had the bucks
Your education stems from luck
Future corpse: death by physician

I have no choice: devoid of rights
So pull the plug, it's my damned life
Keep me alive to increase your bill
A Red Cross hell? - the hospital!

Just let me die with dignity
It's not suicide, simply mercy

Just who do you think you are?
Medical school don't make you God
Now I don't care what you've been taught
Just get me off this life support

Just let me die, with dignity
It's not suicide, simply mercy

Life is killing me

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Curt

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
Gentlemen, thank you for the comments. My original post is not an indictment of the medical community or of the many well intentioned individuals involved in it. Modern medicine can do some wonderous things.

This entire cancer situation was precipitated by the need for cataract surgery. I knew I could not see. The opthomoligist took care of the problem. I have no complaint with the outcome. The problem arose when the lump was discovered prior to cataract surgery and I was told that until it was removed, cataract surgery could not take place.

So, to fix a known problem, I was required to submit to a surgery to correct a problem that I was not aware of. I did not feel sick. The lump caused no pain. I wonder how many people this sort of things happens to. Are we really sick if it takes a doctor to tell us we are?

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »
Curt:

I also had cataract surgery, in April 2009.  Amazing what they can do with the eye but can't cure the common cold.  My eye surgeon is a genius.  Outcome has been fantastic.  Unlike you, I had no other physical exams prior to the surgery.  I had the hernias fixed the year after that.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 10:51:33 PM »
Gentlemen, thank you for the comments. My original post is not an indictment of the medical community or of the many well intentioned individuals involved in it. Modern medicine can do some wonderous things.

This entire cancer situation was precipitated by the need for cataract surgery. I knew I could not see. The opthomoligist took care of the problem. I have no complaint with the outcome. The problem arose when the lump was discovered prior to cataract surgery and I was told that until it was removed, cataract surgery could not take place.

So, to fix a known problem, I was required to submit to a surgery to correct a problem that I was not aware of. I did not feel sick. The lump caused no pain. I wonder how many people this sort of things happens to. Are we really sick if it takes a doctor to tell us we are?

So you had to have a lump in your back removed to get a cataract operated on?

Wait.  Dude.  What?

I think I would have found another doctor, but I don't know your situation and what's done is done.

My ex- had MS.  From being with her for 10 years, I have seen my fill of dumbf#ckery from the medical industry.

rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline cmoore

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 04:08:10 AM »
Curt, you need to talk to a good Oncologist. If you aren't comfortable with the Doctor find another one. When talking about survivability Doctors deal in %'s. That's all they have. Some cancers are easier to cure than others. Some are even left alone if the patient is old enough. When push comes to shove you want to be in a position of having done everything possible to beat that stuff. BTDT. Good luck.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Curt

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Gentlemen, it is beyond my ability as a writer to convey, in a few short posts here, everything that has taken place since the beginning of August. I have literally seen over a dozen doctors. Oncologists, radiation oncologists, surgeons, general practitioners, opthomoligists and a couple that I have forgotten. None of which I would consider bad doctors. I have read books and articles until my eyes blurred. I have sought second and third opinions. I have driven thousands of miles. Spent countless hours sitting in waiting rooms and had 3 surgeries. All of these things were done for my benefit. I understand that. What I don't understand is how it all spirals out of control.

At some point I stopped making decisions and simply did as I was told. I would compare my experience with the medical profession to entering a curve on the C-14. A decreasing radius, off camber curve that sneaks up on you. At some point you suddenly realise that you are no longer in control, merely hanging on for the ride. Faced with the inevitabilty of a crash, I choose to increase my lean and ride it to the ground in a lowside rather than go wide and risk a highside. I am still sliding down the asphalt. We'll just have to see how it turns out.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 06:09:36 PM »
I understand and wish you the best.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Tim

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 04:36:39 AM »
Curt, it vould also be the Doctors think you still might have a buck in there some place. This has been a bad year for me too. I had a stroke April 16th. Im trying to get back to work but I don't think I will be able at this point in time.(LEO)  I ordered up retirement paper work and will leave the work I enjoyed. Mean while I've seen doctor's and a bunch of people who look at me for 2 minutes and charge the insurance a ton. My summer riding was cut short because I could not drive. I found I married well in my youth because the wife has hung in there with me. I wish you a speedy recovery. 
I don't always ride a street bike. But when I do, it's a Concours. Ride safely my friend.

Offline Curt

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 11:24:33 AM »
Curt, it vould also be the Doctors think you still might have a buck in there some place. This has been a bad year for me too. I had a stroke April 16th. Im trying to get back to work but I don't think I will be able at this point in time.(LEO)  I ordered up retirement paper work and will leave the work I enjoyed. Mean while I've seen doctor's and a bunch of people who look at me for 2 minutes and charge the insurance a ton. My summer riding was cut short because I could not drive. I found I married well in my youth because the wife has hung in there with me. I wish you a speedy recovery.
The first question is never where does it hurt. it is always what insurance do you have. I wish you well, Tim, and as a Corrections Officer understand your difficulty in returning to work. It seems inconceivable to many in the medical field that in order to return to duty we must be at 100%.