Author Topic: Riding the BRP  (Read 4023 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Riding the BRP
« on: January 13, 2021, 12:11:31 PM »
In past years, with a sport touring group, we would ride the BRP from Waynesboro VA to Cherokee NC in two days.  Gas up in Waynesboro and meet at Humpback Rocks Visitor Center around 10.  We would stop for lunch at one of the visitor centers along the way and then gas up in Roanoke.  We would stop for pie at Tuggles Gap (route 8) and continue on to get off the BRP near Hillsville for the night.  Sadly we rarely stopped for sight seeing as the interest was on speed.  So much so that you really didn't want to take your eyes off the road.  The next morning would be into NC and on to Cherokee for the second night.

One of the things I've regretted by aligning myself with a 'faster' group was not enjoying the scenery and exhibits along the way although through the years I've eventually seen most of them.  Of course, how you ride is up to you.

The speed limit on the BRP is 45mph for the most part.  I've generally rode it a tad above 50 by myself.  The Rangers won't bother you for that but if you do get a ticket it's Federal and pricey.  I did have them blink their lights on me once, though.  The busier parts of the BRP are in NC around Boone and Grandfather Mountain.  More Rangers as well.

Some things with wheels to look out for are bicycles, autos, RVs, and other MCs.  Bicycles will tend to bunch up and take up the road.  You'll find RVs and autos all over but watch those blind corners and those idiots will stop and look at something in the middle of the roadway on a blind corner.  Sport bikes I generally move over to the right and wave them on by to get them away from me.  Cruisers in groups may go slow as molasses it seems but resist the urge to pass them all at once especially in corners.  You'll get by them by and by.

The best time to ride the BRP is during the week.  Stay away from it in the weekends if you can.  You'll avoid most of the crowds that way.

Make sure that your bike is up to date on maintenance and your tires are good.  I've seen that road chew up tires right before my eyes.  Cell coverage is not the best on the BRP.

Check for construction on the BRP.  You don't want to ride through a paving project in 90+ heat.  Be aware of any detours.  Check with the Park Service before you ride.

The best advice I can give is to take your time and enjoy it.  There's much to see and do.  And check out the websites associated with the BRP.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
Re: Riding the BRP
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 01:36:14 PM »
Over the years I've made the BRP trip numerous times, first on an air-cooled RD350, then shaft-drive Yamaha Vision, then the C10. Camping, usually alone or in a small group. Typically 9 days from Ottawa, ON., to Cherokee NC and back, weekends to get thru PA and NY, 5 weekdays on the Skyline Drive and the Parkway. I found the best riding in September, kiddies back in school, RVs off the road, but dodging between hurricanes.

Made a study of restaurants and good food along the way, best I found is the Bedford Social Club in Bedford, VA. It's just 10 mi. down the hill from the Peaks of Otter campground. Wine and Duck in Front Royal was great too but now appears defunct.

A few trips got cut short due to weather or road conditions:
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 07:16:46 AM »
I have ridden parts of the BRP many times and the length of it a couple. Have stayed at the Pisgah Lodge (on the BRP) a few times. Fabulous views from the lodge rooms and the restuarant. The restuarant also has great food. I have also stayed at the Big Lynn Lodge and the Skyline Village Inn at Little Switzerland and Spruce Pine NC. Both also have incredible views from the rooms and good food. The owner of Skyline is a biker and has a small fleet of bikes to rent and provides covered parking for bikes only.  Rates at the Big Lyn include supper and breakfast at their restuarant.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:49:00 AM »
Thanks, good info, I've ridden parts too, after about an hour I'm ready to get off it and make some time, probably because I was using it like a regular road to get somewhere. Maybe now I can look at it differently and try it again and just stay on it as a ride in and of itself.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 10:09:52 AM »
Good info.  I've ridden it from Asheville to Cherokee.  Stopped at the gas station at (I think) Pisgah on the first day they were open for the season.  It never occurred to me that it would close in the winter.  Glad I wasn't on fumes.  I think a motorcyclist designed that road.  And yes, next time on it I plan on slowing to see the scenery.

My next trip will be from my home in Franklin, TN to Williamsburg, VA.  Told the wife to take the cage and I'd join her a day or 2 later.  Slab to Seveirville, TN, then through GSMNP to Cherokee- BRP up into VA then find a back way from probably around Roanoke over to Williamsburg to the in-laws house

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:51:43 PM »
One way you might try is once on the parkway, turn off on Route 8 eastward, you'll go by Tuggles Gap store (stop for pie) and follow route 8 to route 40.  Left on 40 (a very nice two lane but watch out for tanks in Blackstone) then you can go across the state on a very nice two lane to route 10.  Right turn on 10 and follow to pick up 10/31 at Surry.  Follow 31 to the Ferry to Jamestown.   The Ferry is free and once across the river you can either pick up the road to go into Williamsburg or take the Colonial Parkway into Williamsburg.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 02:56:27 PM »
Thanks Jim.  Saving all of that info.  I'll see if I can map all of those locations.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 03:16:59 PM »
 :thumbs:

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 07:41:18 PM »
Enjoyed the ride from Winchester down and started at Front Royal. Went down through where you started and stopped at Willville for the night. Cabins were nice and showers hot. Took a detour and saw the Mayberry museum in Mt Airy. Boone is great and found BBQ just off the Parkway. Took time to go up Grandfather Mt.

http://www.willvillebikecamp.com/
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 04:21:44 PM »
 few years ago My Dad & I started at the begining of 129 in Cheifland Florida , We rode a combination of 129 & 441/28 to Cheokee then got on the BRP at the begining. We rode the BRP all the way to the other end & then rode the whole Skyline Drive, We then turned around at the end of Skyline Drive & Did the whole thing in reverse back to Cherokee. We then stayed in maggie Valley for a few days & did the Dragon/Cherahola/209/215/176/151/ect. Then made our way back home to Florida in reverse on 28/441/129. It was an great ride & took around 10 days. Doing the entire BRP & Skyline Drive in both directions in the same trip was epic & I highly recomend it ! 
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2021, 05:08:40 PM »
Doing the entire BRP & Skyline Drive in both directions in the same trip was epic & I highly recomend it ! 

Not to mention doing the trip with your dad.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 11:06:32 PM »
Not to mention doing the trip with your dad.
Yes, A great memory for the rest of my life !
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2021, 11:07:49 AM »
I plan on hitting it with my newly acquired CT125 at some point. considering it maxes out flatland at 56 ish should be good. cant speed (very much) so no temptation.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Justcliff

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2021, 03:59:51 PM »

The speed limit on the BRP is 45mph for the most part.  I've generally rode it a tad above 50 by myself.  The Rangers won't bother you for that but if you do get a ticket it's Federal and pricey. 

Speeding is $110.00 & passing on a double yellow is $110.00. The good part is it doesn't go your record being Federal, they just want money.
Cliff

2008 C14, 250,000 miles & counting!  2014 V-Strom 1000
IBA#66047

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 04:47:02 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2021, 07:14:26 PM »
Speeding is $110.00 & passing on a double yellow is $110.00. The good part is it doesn't go your record being Federal, they just want money.

In other words, bring an extra $220.00 and ride your a$$ off?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2021, 07:10:08 AM »
I have never seen much enforcement activity except in the Ashville area.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 01:11:08 PM »
I agree.  That where most of the traffic is.