Author Topic: USMC Tribute bike. FINISHED!  (Read 11020 times)

Offline Mikey063

Re: USMC Tribute bike.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
   Ok I am now getting paranoid.  I have been reading about hydrolock and other horrible things that can happen to my baby.  I know that the ultimate fix is to install a manual petcock and overflow tubes, but honestly I do not think I will be able to do anything like that for awhile.  So in the meantime what is my best form of protection?  Should I drain the float bowls while the tank is getting work?  Plus what other things should I do BEFORE I re-install the fuel tank(ie. flush the tank with POR-15)?  I just want to make sure that when I finish re-installing all the parts that my bike will start without a problem.  Thanks.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 01:29:05 PM »
Well, if the tank isn't even on the bike, I don't think hydrolock will be a problem.

Hydrolock happens when one of the floats gets stuck open, generally because debris gets between the float needle and the seat.  You could always put an inline fuel filter between the tank and the carb to help catch any debris, and install fresh fuel hose as appropriate.  Some fuel filters are better suited for this; do a forum search to see which ones are on the 'should work fine' list.  Other filters can cause fuel starvation, and as the Connie is a gravity feed system choosing the proper filter (with proper angles on the ends so you won't end up kinking the fuel line or whatever) is essential.

Hydrolock is not a common occurence, so as long as your fuel system is clean you should be OK.  Definitely keep the overflow tubes on your to do list, or get the manual petcock if that's the route you'd rather go.  You don't really need both.

I trust that you are doing the POR or whatever lining treatment to the inside of the tank tank, seeing you are doing all of that other work.  If not, it is something that might be a good idea to do at some point.  Older Connie tanks generally will eventually rust through, so if you have an older tank, it is a thought.  But most older bikes have this issue, so it isn't a Connie specific issue.

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2012, 06:30:55 PM »
  Almost done!  The fairing and saddle bags are being clear coated.  I should get them back by either Saturday or Monday.  Pictures will be added as soon as I get the bike back together.  :D

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 10:17:38 PM »
  I have a slight problem putting the tank back.  When they painted they painted over the colored dots, that told me what hose went to a particular spout.  So who can tell me which is the burgundy and which is the blue one lol.  The hoses are colored correctly

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 10:23:47 PM »
Left to right:
Plain/no dot. Red band/dot. Blue band/dot.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 12:13:42 AM »
Thanks for the info

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 11:02:01 AM »
Sigh yet another nagging problem.  After I bled the brake lines and clutch.  The braking is very soft now.  Plus when I try to go into neutral, it is harder to do so.  What did I do wrong?  I made sure there is no bubbles in the line, plus I pumped the handles a few times with the top off of the reservoir, is there something I am missing?

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
Here are some pictures.  I hoped for a sunny day but it did not happen.  The artist who did the work is Don Ricci http://www.noseartguy.net/default.aspx  

He did an outstanding job.  The exhaust was done by "Snarf"  his work was kindly donated, for that I appreciate it.  The name on the saddle bag is my wife's uncle.  http://www.usvetdsp.com/vn_pw_bios/m033.htm

I have done just about everything I need to do now, except some fine tuning stuff.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:41:12 PM by Mikey063 »

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: USMC Tribute bike. FINISHED!
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 08:55:24 PM »
Very nice work!  That is one sweet lookin' Connie!

Do a forum search on bleeding the brakes.  Air bubbles like to get trapped in weird places, so you may need to work them out.

One trick I've seen mentioned is wrapping the brake or clutch handle in the compressed position overnight, with a bungee or tape or something.  This sometimes helps.  What has worked best for me though, is loosening the top/reservoir knuckles slightly while compressing the handle, to force the air around the knuckles.  It took a few days and several sessions to get the brakes back to normal (I did a full rebuild).  No guarantees on this, though.  As I mentioned, air likes to hide in several places.

Make sure you put a towel under/around the reservoirs when bleeding here, so you don't drip fluid onto the tank.

A slick way to capture fluid while opening the bleeders is to attach a small hose to the bleeder before you open it, then put a thumb on the opposite end when you pull the hose off, and you can see the fluid as it oozes into the tube (and notice any air bubbles of course).  Then you can put the captured fluid back into the reservoir.

Another possibility is a worn brake system, but as you have issues with both the brake(s) and clutch simultaneiously, I'm leaning towards trapped air.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline F-106

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
ALL I CAN SAY IT THAT IS OUTSTANDING!! NICE WORK. :hail: :hail: :hail:
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »
  I did finally figure out the brake problem.  I just left the cover off of the reservoir and zip tied the lever over night.  It works fine now.  Now I found another problem lol.  The speedometer needle vibrates, it gives the correct mph, but vibrates.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »
Generally if the speedo cable vibrates it is either loose or binding. Have you had your front tire off? Getting the drive gear slightly out of alignment can make it bind.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 05:16:52 AM »
Close up of the cans

2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."