Author Topic: JCW trunk  (Read 4244 times)

Offline CRocker

• Arena
JCW trunk
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:25:45 PM »
I'm looking for a little insight as how best to mount a JCW large trunk on my '88...I do have the factory backrest...and I would like to mount the trunk behind the backrest...but, to be able to open it on the bike, it would set back farther than I'm comfortable with...the backrest could be removed for trips requiring the trunk.  Thanks. 
'02 C-10

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
Re: JCW trunk
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »
I have the trunk mounted to the OEM add-on rear rack.  (Not the one under the little cover)  I've been using the backrest "pad" that's on the trunk, but it is pretty awful.  I've been thinking about just remounting the Kawasaki backrest pad to the trunk.  (My trunk is bolted directly to the rack, without using the mounting plate, since the plate broke.) 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline F-106

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »
This might work for you and it might not. Have a backrest pad made for the trunk. I had mine made and covered to match the seat. Works great. The wife loves it and I remove the trunk when she is not riding. If this looks like it will work for you i can set you up with the guy that did mine.
IN THRUST WE TRUST

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:31:35 AM »
Here are some shots of mine.  It's done with the cutting board method.  Target sells large black ones so you don't need to paint it.  Mines sturdy enough to park a car on it.  I thought of hyper-extending it so the factory backrest could be used.  It would put it way back there though.  The case needs extra room to open it up.  That is where the problem lies.

Edited:  My plate is made to come off pretty quick (just 4 bolts) but I find that I never remove it anyway.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline Gitbox

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
 :offtopic:

Hey, what's the deal with the helmet locks above the license plate? I like that. How did you do it?
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours ZG-1000 (sold)

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 01:56:02 PM »
I'm looking for a little insight as how best to mount a JCW large trunk on my '88...I do have the factory backrest...and I would like to mount the trunk behind the backrest...but, to be able to open it on the bike, it would set back farther than I'm comfortable with...the backrest could be removed for trips requiring the trunk.  Thanks.

CR,
 I will take some pictures of the mount I built for mine. And post them. I had them on the old forum but they got whacked when it did. It sets up high enough to allow opening and leaves the stock backrest in place. 
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 02:29:01 PM »
:offtopic:

Hey, what's the deal with the helmet locks above the license plate? I like that. How did you do it?

Its just bar stock from Lowes painted black.  I used SS Allen bolts for a little anti-theft.  Used the tag as a template, then the locks.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington