Author Topic: New 4 into 1 pipe finally finished !! New Pics added  (Read 14927 times)

Offline KL/Everett

Re: New 4 into 1 pipe finally finished !! New Pics added
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
Hi Jim:
Saw you did couple of this exhause(s) system couples times before, so hope you don't mind to answer my lay man questions.
1. what's the major benefit(s) this 4-2-1 system will be provied, and why our OEM4-2-2 cannot provide?  Is it about competitive performance (HP), or music playing (louder), or just 4-2-1 is looking cool?
2. I wonder if I replaced 2 mufflers with the one you are going to use, will they sound pretty differently?
Thank you for your respose.
KL

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2012, 01:29:53 AM »
The Stock pipes direct cylinders 1-2 to one side, and cylinders 3-4 to the other side.  Due to the firing order, the exhaust pulses end up with a push-push-wait-wait in each pipe.  Combining 4 to 1 changes this to a push-push-push-push (i.e. a constant flow of gas, as opposed to a double push/double wait).  I would guess that this helps improve the exhaust flow characteristics, although at 4000 RPM you are talking a minimal difference (which may be statistically significant, however).  Based on reports of those who have went 4-2-1 with the Connie, this does seem to help performance.

What I've been wanting to do is change the pipe routing to 1-4 left 2-3 right, so that the exhaust pulses are evenly spaced, yet you'd still have a dual system.  I'd be curious as to how this would compare versus the stock setup or 4-2-1 setups.  However, this isn't currently in the budget; maybe if I hit the lottery...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »
Hi Jim:
Saw you did couple of this exhause(s) system couples times before, so hope you don't mind to answer my lay man questions.
1. what's the major benefit(s) this 4-2-1 system will be provied, and why our OEM4-2-2 cannot provide?  Is it about competitive performance (HP), or music playing (louder), or just 4-2-1 is looking cool?
2. I wonder if I replaced 2 mufflers with the one you are going to use, will they sound pretty differently?
Thank you for your respose.
KL

Good questions KL, here goes,
   The first thing is weight reduction. I cut nearly 25 lbs off the bike with the 4 into 1 pipe.
The biggest change was the elimination of the torque dip between 4,000 & 5,000 rpm that
all C-10's have. The 3 to 4 lbs of additional torque is definitely noticable. And last but not
least, besides looking cool the sound is awesome. Being a m/c dragracer and former crotch
rocket rider all my life the sound of a 4 into 1 is music to my ears. And of course the best
reason and the driving force behind the build was the fact that "they" told me "they don't
make one of those for your bike".

"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:26 AM »
Hey Jim, have you had any luck on building the Adjustable Intake Restrictor Plate?
Everyone told me that "they don't make one of those for your bike".
(Sed while Ducking and running) :loco:

<Sly Grin>

Ride safe, Ted

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 04:04:47 PM »
Hey Jim, have you had any luck on building the Adjustable Intake Restrictor Plate?
Everyone told me that "they don't make one of those for your bike".
(Sed while Ducking and running) :loco:

<Sly Grin>

Ride safe, Ted

As a matter of fact I have. The new prototype is on the airbox now and is undergoing extensive testing. The new one is made from ABS plastic.   

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »
Cool.
Let me know what you find out.
I tried a vacuum control, but no luck so far.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2012, 02:14:30 PM »
If anyone is interested, daytona mike is selling the 4-2-1 pipe that was on his connie.  it's in very good condition. contact me if interested - Steve

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2012, 02:24:43 PM »
As a matter of fact I have. The new prototype is on the airbox now and is undergoing extensive testing. The new one is made from ABS plastic.

Jim, If you'll be mass producing them and selling to the general connie public, I'm take one.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »
Jim, If you'll be mass producing them and selling to the general connie public, I'm take one.

Sorry Joe but there won't be any mass production. These are like fine works of art.
There are only 5 lucky C-10 owners out who have one of these. I will be building another
pipe this winter. It will be for sale but I will not "give it away" like I did the last one. Folks do not realize how much work goes into these type projects. If I can't get what its worth
it will be my spare forever.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2012, 11:19:45 AM »
Sorry Joe but there won't be any mass production. These are like fine works of art.
There are only 5 lucky C-10 owners out who have one of these. I will be building another
pipe this winter. It will be for sale but I will not "give it away" like I did the last one. Folks do not realize how much work goes into these type projects. If I can't get what its worth
it will be my spare forever.

Jim, I think he was asking about the intake resrictor plate. I thought you were talking about mass producing those?

Ride safe, Ted

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
Jim, I think he was asking about the intake resrictor plate. I thought you were talking about mass producing those?

Ride safe, Ted

Ya ... what he said.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »
Sorry about that. yes if I can find enough ABS plastic I will consider producing them.

Offline KL/Everett

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »
"The sound of the exhaust is awesome. Being an old crotch
rocket rider and dragbike racer I have a love affair with 4 into 1 exhaust systems and the sweet music they make when properly
engineered. When I get the pipe mounted I am going to do some video/audio clips to post that will let everyone hear how it sounds
with several different mufflers
."

Hi Jim:
I am still holding my breath for the video/audio clip to come.  Fire it up when it's all set.  Love the music.  :)

Thanks for sharing!!

KL

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »

Hi Jim:
I am still holding my breath for the video/audio clip to come.  Fire it up when it's all set.  Love the music.  :)

Thanks for sharing!!

KL

Ok here is the link to the exhaust videos I posted on youtube. 
http://www.youtube.com/user/jimbob24fan?feature=mhee