Author Topic: What should i do with marked mirrors?  (Read 3201 times)

Offline gtr a14

What should i do with marked mirrors?
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:36:49 AM »
Hey, not sure if i should paint them (if i can get paint) or carbon sheet them, what do folks think?
I carbon sheeted my grab rail and it looks ok! :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:28:01 AM by gtr a14 »

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
Re: What should i do with marked mirrors?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
I think your best bet is to paint them. I'm not familiar with the wrap technique but if you think you can pull it off then go for it. Wrapping the grab handle looks pretty simple with its flat contours compared to the mirrors' softly rounded ones so probably harder to make it look good.

Offline throb

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:37:26 AM »
I got sick of the old man Buick tan/brown that Mama Kaw used on the '05 model and painted mine in fall of '12, doing the mirrors at the same time.  Pretty straight forward and I think it makes the whole thing look better.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

jirod

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:08:42 AM »
Hey, not sure if i should paint them (if i can get paint) or carbon sheet them, what do folks think?
I carbon sheeted my grab rail and it looks ok! :P
I would try wrapping them. You can always peel the stuff off.

I got sick of the old man Buick tan/brown that Mama Kaw used on the '05 model and painted mine in fall of '12, doing the mirrors at the same time.  Pretty straight forward and I think it makes the whole thing look better.
!
Hloy cow, Throb. Your bike looks like it just came off the showroom. Awesome!

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:31:24 AM »
Will see if i can find paint to match, yours looks awesome, nicejob  :D

Offline throb

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 04:19:35 AM »
https://www.colorrite.com/

Thank you Gents!  GTR, try the link above; they seem to have color matches for all year Connies.  I guess it just depends how much paint you want or how much you want to spend. 
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »
Thank you Gents!  GTR, try the link above; they seem to have color matches for all year Connies.  I guess it just depends how much paint you want or how much you want to spend.

Thanks for link and advice, will get to it the next weekend in free !

Offline Irish GTR

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 12:03:23 AM »
Gator A14
I have been tempted lately to carbon vinyl my mirrors and panniers outer covers because of scratches.
If you decide on vinyl mirrors please post some pics!!

Offline gtr a14

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 02:48:13 AM »
Gator A14
I have been tempted lately to carbon vinyl my mirrors and panniers outer covers because of scratches.
If you decide on vinyl mirrors please post some pics!!
Will do, spare time and dry weather permiting! "rare in n.ireland"  ::)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 05:19:02 AM »
I had a pretty well "marked" up one when I purchased my red bike.  I took a razor blade to shave the excess plastic off out of the scrapes, wiped it with 150 grit paper, then just a little light rubbing with 220 grit.  I then cleaned both mirrors down with Windex then alcohol because the plastic was getting pretty old looking on both.  I then painted them both with Krylon Fusion for plastics using the satin black color.  They look almost brand new more than 4 years later.  Just cost $4 to do.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington